1965 Vox AC30 2x12 IR

This is probably the best AC-30 IR I have heard......I am not a pro at setting up an AC-30, but this IR made it a breeze to dial in the tone I was hearing in my head. Great Job!!! This may have actually turned me into an AC-30 user in the Axe!!!

Wow!! That is super flattering! Thank you very much for the feedback!

Meaning the .IR file itself?
Yes :) With CabLab you can make syx files for every AxeFx II (so we Mark 1 and 2 users can enjoy your IRs aswell) and I think Ownhammer has some tools on his website, which make it possible to create syx files which work for the AxeFx I (Ultra and Standard)

Yes :) With CabLab you can make syx files for every AxeFx II (so we Mark 1 and 2 users can enjoy your IRs aswell) and I think Ownhammer has some tools on his website, which make it possible to create syx files which work for the AxeFx I (Ultra and Standard)

Wow! I had no idea Cab Lab did that. I'll convert some files when I get home today then!

For about 3 years back in the 90s I played in a pretty powerful funk trio here in Seattle. My friend who owned Stephen's Custom Guitars (extended cutaway dude) called me and said he had the best amp in the world in his shop. I went. It was a hardwired VoxAC30 THAT he updated a bit. He Made one single input jump itself and a couple other small mods. You could literally put a CRATE or terrible digital MetalZone pedal in front of it And it would sound killer! I bought it for 800$!
I made it a goal to find the absolute WORST pedals and see if the Vox gave it merit! It did, every single time! =)
For me, that wicked above-bedroom volume attack and soaring sustain, coupled with a pedal-welcome-mat is what makes VoxAC30s what they are! This IR took me there last week! The Axefx takes me there every week!

...living the dream. What a kickass toy we have here, people..

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

For about 3 years back in the 90s I played in a pretty powerful funk trio here in Seattle. My friend who owned Stephen's Custom Guitars (extended cutaway dude) called me and said he had the best amp in the world in his shop. I went. It was a hardwired VoxAC30 THAT he updated a bit. He Made one single input jump itself and a couple other small mods. You could literally put a CRATE or terrible digital MetalZone pedal in front of it And it would sound killer! I bought it for 800$!
I made it a goal to find the absolute WORST pedals and see if the Vox gave it merit! It did, every single time! =)
For me, that wicked above-bedroom volume attack and soaring sustain, coupled with a pedal-welcome-mat is what makes VoxAC30s what they are! This IR took me there last week! The Axefx takes me there every week!

...living the dream. What a kickass toy we have here, people..

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Awesome! I'm really glad to hear that. I definitely felt AC30 cab can differ quite a bit not only in tone, but in feel as well. I think this was one of the first set of AC30 speakers I had played thru 10 years ago, which to me sort of set that AC30 sound that i would like. I really enjoy this cab.

When I get a chance, I'll see if I can shoot the open back version of it as well.

I think Ownhammer has some tools on his website, which make it possible to create syx files which work for the AxeFx I (Ultra and Standard)

Correct and welcome, but old tools: Only from wav to OLD (before FW10 i believe) "Hi-Res" Std, or this "pre-FW10" Axe-Fx II standard to Axe-gen1 ... no chance to convert IRs, captured with the Axe-Fx to old GEN1 format with those tools...

Last edited:
Ok, I have to clear some things. First of all thanks Morphosis, I didn't know the IR format changed in the Gen 1 Axes. So those tools shouldn't be recommended anymore! Good info!

Now @indeloon85, unfortunately I didn't find the time to try your syx files on my Mark 1. All I know is that when converting raw IRs in CabLab it creates two syx files, one with an additional "XL" in the file name, which made me think that syx files for XLs won't work with Mark 1 and 2. But if it works with Mark 1 + 2, all good! :)

Finally had a chance to check this IR out. Dropped it in to my Creamy AC-30 patch so I'd be able to use it in a patch where I had a good point of reference for comparison.

It's a well-mixed IR but, for an AC-30 capture, I found it a little bass-heavy. Not what I'm used for AC-30 tones. I though it worked best on the gain-ier sounds than on the clean sounds. Didn't try it with other instruments around, only soloed. I'd be concerned the low end, with the band, would be something I'd have to dial out to sit well with keys and bass and an acoustic guitar.

But top notch mix and sound if you dig a darker AC-30 capture.

Thank you for sharing!

Finally had a chance to check this IR out. Dropped it in to my Creamy AC-30 patch so I'd be able to use it in a patch where I had a good point of reference for comparison.

It's a well-mixed IR but, for an AC-30 capture, I found it a little bass-heavy. Not what I'm used for AC-30 tones. I though it worked best on the gain-ier sounds than on the clean sounds. Didn't try it with other instruments around, only soloed. I'd be concerned the low end, with the band, would be something I'd have to dial out to sit well with keys and bass and an acoustic guitar.

But top notch mix and sound if you dig a darker AC-30 capture.

Thank you for sharing!

Hey! I really appreciate the feedback of the IR. it is a closed back 2x12, so it definitely has a little girth in the low end. I should also say, I'm always track with a high pass filter, so the low end isn't a problem for me, but I'd love to hear how it sits in a mix for you! Thank u again for the feedback!

I think that the Axe offer tons of ways to tame the lows in a patch! From the amp tone controls, to eq, filters, and many frequency range controls in the cab block.
What is important to me is to start from a good base material! And this IR IS GOOD!

Wow! Don't know how I missed this. Also bought the Justin York collection but haven't spent much time experimenting. Will definitively check this one out tonight!
Chasing Edge's just right combination AC30 chime and grit. Always up for more great AC30 IR's! Thanks!

I found it perfect for this mate - used it for Streets and WOWY live last night. None of the boom and harshness I normally wrestle with. Thanks so much to the OP for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I have to clear some things. First of all thanks Morphosis, I didn't know the IR format changed in the Gen 1 Axes.

No no, i may wrote misinterpretable and make it now clearer: The Axe-Fx II IR structure changed with FW10. The OH freebee tools are (much) older and do NOT support Hi-Res standard since Axe-Fx II FW10, because of changed data structure! and - of course, also not and never ever Ultra-Res or .IR

Oh ok, well that makes sense now :D I wanted to give a pointer where to get tools to convert ir files to syx for the Axe-Fx Standard and Ultra! ;) Because afaik CabLab only works for the Axe-Fx II.

Back
Top Bottom