1965 Vox 2x12 SM58 ir

I love this IR for U2. I've been through hundreds of different IRs for my AC30-based U2-presets, but this is the closest yet. This IR has replaced my previous IR's on about 70-80% of my presets so far. And only after a couple hours of testing. Works equally well for the strat-, LP-, explorer- and Rickenbacker-songs.

Thanks so much!

Hey guys!

So I've had a couple of requests for a single mic SM58 ir of the cabinet that I shot back in September. This cabinet sounds incredible and I really feel it brings a different element to the AC30 models.

Try this one out and let me know!

This one (65 VOX 212 58 8.syx) sounds really good! Can you refresh my memory...what cab did you use?

I really appreciate you sharing!!! :)

Last edited:
What is the difference between your both IR´s? Another position? I´ve downloaded earlier, but there was only one IR.

This one (65 VOX 212 58 8.syx) sounds really good! Can you refresh my memory...what cab did you use?

I really appreciate you sharing!!! :)

Its a capture of a 1965 Vox AC30 2X12 (Closed Back) with pretty worn in with Blue Bulldog speakers. I don't know if these are the originals.

What is the difference between your both IR´s? Another position? I´ve downloaded earlier, but there was only one IR.

Yes, just difference positions. With the 58/609 ir, that was a blend of the 2 mics. These are just a couple of positions from with an SM58.

Its a capture of a 1965 Vox AC30 2X12 (Closed Back) with pretty worn in with Blue Bulldog speakers. I don't know if these are the originals.

I'm not sure if they are originals either. It is a cab that is heavily used across countless recordings from a rental company that rents to all the studios here in LA. Chances are most people here have heard this cabinet on a recording at one time or another. :)

Yes, just difference positions. With the 58/609 ir, that was a blend of the 2 mics. These are just a couple of positions from with an SM58.

I'm not sure if they are originals either. It is a cab that is heavily used across countless recordings from a rental company that rents to all the studios here in LA. Chances are most people here have heard this cabinet on a recording at one time or another. :)

Lol....... I just copied and pasted your description from the original thread with the original 65 Vox 58/609 IR in it. That is some cool additional info though on the cabinet.....I knew it sounded familiar!!!

tried em out and love em...the second one sound nicer with voxes but the first one pairs well with other amps ive found (the 5 was too bright with the vox for my taste). another pair of very useful IRs though so a very big thank you to indeloon!

So it's actually a 1965 AC30 amp., with Bulldogs in it. When I hear cabinet, I think of just a speaker cabinet with 1, 2 or 4 speakers in it...plugged into an amp. of some sort.

Well, traditionally I suppose that would be correct, but.....with classic combo amps like the Fenders and Vox's.....the speakers are housed in the same box as the amp chassis. So, to correctly capture the sound of the original you have to get an IR capture of the speakers inside the original housing...which in the case of the AC30, Deluxe Reverb, Silverface Twin, Princeton, 5e3, 5f3, etc......it means getting a capture of the combo. Now, thats not say that he is running through the amp part of the combo to capture that IR, although you can since FAS came out with the Mic+DI method that factors out the amplifier portion of the equation by using a DI box between the amp and the speaker. If that doesn't make sense..just let me know....I could try to explain it better if need be.

Nope, makes perfect sense...excellent explanation. Thanks!

Don't know too much about IR's or how they are captured. Should learn about them though. I have an AC30 CC2, modded to 1965/63 JMI specs., with power scaling and a Weber Silver Bell and Weber Blue Dog. Might be interesting to get an IR of it someday.

So it's actually a 1965 AC30 amp., with Bulldogs in it. When I hear cabinet, I think of just a speaker cabinet with 1, 2 or 4 speakers in it...plugged into an amp. of some sort.

This isnt a picture of the exact cabinet, but just to show what the cabinet is exactly. The cabinet I shot is the bottom piece. I used the matching 1965 AC30 head (Separated) to power the speakers.

Attachments

• Vox65AC50Cab_2.jpg
    Vox65AC50Cab_2.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 97
tried em out and love em...the second one sound nicer with voxes but the first one pairs well with other amps ive found (the 5 was too bright with the vox for my taste). another pair of very useful IRs though so a very big thank you to indeloon!
I appreciate the feedback! I agree, the #5 ir is much better blended which is why I wanted to also post the #8 (for more of the SM58 sound that will sit on its own). Glad you like them!

Back
Top Bottom