1961 strat build.

Nice - the parchment white looks better than the cream....
Yes I thought so and my pickguard is also quite subtle. Originals vary wildly according to where they have been stored. That said the knobs are covers are hardly ever as cream stratocaster There's quite a few from the period here withe great reference pictures. I think people get used to looking at relics and forget exactly how originals actually look.

Andy, thank you for this detailed thread. Out of curiosity how did you decide on the source for the neck and the body that you did? Warmoth seems to be pretty popular but visually to me even their vintage body configuration looks a bit different from the real deal, though I'm not sure exactly which details would differ.

Andy, thank you for this detailed thread. Out of curiosity how did you decide on the source for the neck and the body that you did? Warmoth seems to be pretty popular but visually to me even their vintage body configuration looks a bit different from the real deal, though I'm not sure exactly which details would differ.
The body was picked because of vintage accuracy. The UK guitar build body is pretty much an exact replica. No other company gets it this close and perfectly compatible with original parts. Also they actually make 50s 60s 70s and basic speck. The neck for this could only be Musikraft because no other company do vintage details even close and then allow you to modernise the fingerboard speck . Warmoth don't get even the basic shapes right. This dose not mean Warmoth is not good ,they are excellent but not for this clone accurate with tweaks build. The fine details on this guitar are closer than a master built custom shop Fender.

The neck is finally getting shipped so I will be able to get this finished soon. I have gathered a couple of shots to work from for a 61 neck.IMG_1863.jpg
This shot is to show the transitions between the neck and the headstock. This is never right on anything but Fender master built. I will obviously copy it. It also shows the Kluson single line tuners. I have a set of the Gotoh reissue but since I started this build I discovered that Gotoh make a set for Kluson that have the branding. I will need to get a set for this build as everything is as close as possible.

The headstock shape is incredibly familiar but you would you be surprised if I said no aftermarket head is actually the right shape?
Fortunately the Musikraft is slightly wrong in an addive way and with a bit of careful modification can get you there exactly.
IMG_1865.jpg
This will also be the template for logo position and the location of the string tree.
I also like the general colour of the maple on this so it is something to shoot for with the tint or almost lack of it.

US Social Security Numbers (SSN) are in that format - ###-##-####. Some people can make a pretty good guess about which state someone is from based on the first numbers.
This. ^^^^ The first 3 numbers give a pretty good idea of where/when the number was issued. If it is indeed someone's SSN (it was a common enough practice to scrawl SSN somewhere hidden on valuables), they got their number around where I grew up, and a fair bit before me, so the person is likely a fair bit older than me.

Before switching to a different system for student IDs around 17 or so years ago, Maricopa Community Colleges used SSN as student ID. I worked in the Disability Resources office at SCC, and later, in the computer lab, so I saw a lot of student IDs....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom