1961 strat build.

I will probably use SD antiquity pickups in this as I like the alnico 2 magnet combined with a slightly hot wind.
I'm a big fan of the Raw Vintage 50's pickups (RV50), which are used in the Xotic guitars. I have them in two of my Strats. I also like the Mojotone '59 Clone pickups, which won a shootout for vintage sounding single-coil Strat pickups and are in my third Strat. Years ago I had a '62 Strat, and foolishly traded it, and I've always missed that sound.

They're useful changes and are easily reverted. No big deal. Just get the original 3-way back.

Years ago I had an ES-345 with PAFs in it that someone had taken to a van paint shop and had a van mural sprayed on the back, pin stripping on the front, and then they used some terrible lacquer paint on the neck that didn't cure right so it was always soft and sticky. They used enamel paint and it was absolutely fugly and weighed a ton. I sold it soon after. :-/
NO, very big deal to disturb original soldering for this reason. Player grade and collectable is a huge difference in value. You do get really good refinished examples that are 100% original other than paint selling close to the collectable values. This requires a really good restoration grade refinish though.

Haven't decided whether or not to clear coat this as most of the ones I see in this colour are not (some are though.)
At the bottom of this article you can see a typical early fiesta red, sealer, white primer then red with no clear.
So it's going to be 'Mater Soup red, then?

Some off the gun shots of the red;
IMG_1747.jpg
To get a convincing look to the paint it still needs to be slightly flatted and then hand buffed. I would normally wet sand this with 2500 grit and then a cutting polish and that would be it. This is a tough call because with no clear I stand a fairly good chance of rub through to the white. In the scheme of a relic this can often be fine but it depends where it is.
IMG_1749.jpg
This tries to show the texture I have to start. This would be ready for relic at Fender ( but three times as thick) but a little time spent here BEFORE the relic adds a lot to the authenticity of the final look. The real problem is do I put more red on to get a similar paint build to one with clear coat.
IMG_1748.jpg

Some off the gun shots of the red;
View attachment 86180
To get a convincing look to the paint it still needs to be slightly flatted and then hand buffed. I would normally wet sand this with 2500 grit and then a cutting polish and that would be it. This is a tough call because with no clear I stand a fairly good chance of rub through to the white. In the scheme of a relic this can often be fine but it depends where it is.
View attachment 86181
This tries to show the texture I have to start. This would be ready for relic at Fender ( but three times as thick) but a little time spent here BEFORE the relic adds a lot to the authenticity of the final look. The real problem is do I put more red on to get a similar paint build to one with clear coat.
View attachment 86182
Looks nice! Looking forward to watching this come together (and craving a grilled cheese sammich)....

Unfortunately I'm going to have to put another coat or two of red on as toward the end of the can the colour is different and I have ended up with the back a shade more coral than the front. (FUCK £$% %$£.) I am going to get another can and fix it. Oh well easily fixed if I do it now and I am going to have to wait for the neck anyway. Doesn't really show in the pics but in daylight it's visible. Never had this before, can't of stirred it enough . So instead of waiting for paint to dry I'm stuck waiting for paint to arrive.
Oh and it will still be half as thick as custom shop Fender.

Update the paint comes today so I'm painting it as soon as it arrives. I suppose I can wet sand it a little but I need it to look right ie not like poly.

I bit of wiring;IMG_1798.jpg
When you are assembling the parts it is an opportunity to make sure everything fits and looks right.
On a strat you want the knobs as close as possible to the pickguard without touching it.
IMG_1799.jpg

Back
Top Bottom