1958SLP treble and Plexi 100w High Q8...ok...?

simeon

Axe-Master
i've been checking through my patches since updating and i'm having a little trouble jiving with these two amps.

i've had to turn pres up from 3.5 to 6 to try and rejuvenate the top end and they both feel a little dull to me. they seem to lack the dynamics, explosiveness and swirl they had in Q7.02. i've reset the amps and it made no difference.

i've checked the jubilee, 50w 6550, brit 800 and friedman and they all sound great...

anybody else notice this?

setting pres to 6 or 7 should be a recipe for slicing highs, but not now. is this the new norm?...is it accurate?....or is something slightly "off" with these models?

not complaining...just making an observation...

Thanks cliff. I'm not complaining...just checking. I have no problem bumping the pres if that's what it needs now

I'll try those two out this weekend.. I'm familiar with both, to some extent. At least see if I notice anything similar to what you're describing simeon.

Sound great here. Plexi 100W High might be my favorite Plexi model.

Here's a sample patch:
I'm getting a weird effect with your preset. Sort of a ghost harmony that comes after playing a note.

(I used FracTool to convert preset to MK1)

Most apparent when playing a 3 or 4 chromatic note run down on the D and G strings from the 12th fret (I'm using headphones)

Thought it was guitar hardware at first - but it was there with 3 different guitars.

I bypassed all blocks except amp and cab and tried different cabs - but it's def in the amp block

Doesn't seem to happen with a fresh default Plexi amp block or any other plexi presets I mess about with so I'm not at all worried but maybe there's something amiss in an advanced parameter you tweaked you might want to investigate (if you can replicate the 'ghosts' that is).

I'm getting a weird effect with your preset. Sort of a ghost harmony that comes after playing a note.

Most apparent when playing a 3 or 4 chromatic note run down on the D and G strings from the 12th fret (I'm using headphones)

What you're describing is pretty common on vintage or vintage-style amps with low amounts of power supply filtering (most amps with tube rectification do this). You get intermodulation when they're cranked, and IME it's usually most pronounced on the G around the 12th fret - when you bend a note, it often sounds like a background note being bent in the opposite direction.

IOW, real amps do that, too. The patch may have lowered the amount of filtering from stock, which would make it more apparent.

Thought it was guitar hardware at first - but it was there with 3 different guitars.

I bypassed all blocks except amp and cab and tried different cabs - but it's def in the amp block

Doesn't seem to happen with a fresh default Plexi amp block or any other plexi presets I mess about with so I'm not at all worried but maybe there's something amiss in an advanced parameter you tweaked you might want to investigate (if you can replicate the 'ghosts' that is).

Those are called "ghost notes". Do a search. Part of what gives vintage amps their charm.

Back
Top Bottom