19 Reverb types or 7???

claxor

Power User
The website and the manual don't convey the same message. The website says "19 reverb types", where as the manual says "7 reverb types (with variations)".

Where is the complete list of reverb types in the Axefx 2?

Thanks!

They have added some types since the manual was last updated, which was 6 major firmware revisions and 1.5 years ago. I don't have mine hooked up right now so I can't give you a full list, but it's still essentially variations of the core types.

Sigh... when is a real reverse reverb going to be added to the reverb block? Not a slow gear volume effect in front of a reverb block. I've tried it.. it's just not as good as a Lexicon (or frankly even the Digitech Polara pedal). It would be so simple to develop the algorithm and place it in the reverb block. It's ridiculous that we have such obscure effects as formant, but no proper reverse reverb. The axe fx is the ultimate guitar effects processor, and it can't do a decent reverse reverb. Why??? Let's add it!!!

I love when people say stuff like "It would be so easy to add "feature X"". If you have pro-level DSP coding skills that would make it easy, maybe you should write the algorithm and share it with FAS?

And while we're add it, it should be super easy to add another processor for more CPU right?

:rolleyes:

(P.S. This sounds meaner in text than it would in talking about over a beer.)

Sigh... when is a real reverse reverb going to be added to the reverb block? Not a slow gear volume effect in front of a reverb block. I've tried it.. it's just not as good as a Lexicon (or frankly even the Digitech Polara pedal).
The Polara's reverse sounds like a turd. A bright, tinny, strained-to-its-limit-processor turd. It's awful.

Question: how does reverse reverb work live? It was always a studio effect, applied to the track running backwards and then shifted and aligned with the track running forwards. So how do you do it live? You can't pre-know what someone is going to play? And you can't delay what they're hearing in order to process it.

Answer: you sample it. Exactly the way reverse....wait for it...delay works!

Once you know this it's almost trivial to construct a wonderful reverse reverb in the Axe-Fx II. And bonus: you have insane control over the actual reverb algorithm being applied to the reverse signal. You're not limited to whatever tinny, bright space the pedal designer had to settle for to make it work in the pedal.

I'll leave you with an appropriately hallowe'en-inspired sound sample and we can talk in the morning about how I did it.

Bonus points if you can identify the first riff. Happy hallowe'eeeeeeeeeeeeeen!!!

Sigh... when is a real reverse reverb going to be added to the reverb block? !

+100

I have been using my EHX SMMWH for this effect and I'm thinking of getting a cathedral for the reverse reverb. I know it's a bit of an oddball effect, but I was surprised to see there's no reverse reverb in the Axe. I really hope they introduce it somewhere down the line.

Yes a reverse reverb would be nice. I like the reverse reverb in my H9. It's not the exactly same as combining a reverse delay with a reverb I think.

Yes a reverse reverb would be nice. I like the reverse reverb in my H9. It's not the exactly same as combining a reverse delay with a reverb I think.
There's only two ways to do it live: sample the dry signal, reverse it and play it through the reverb. Or sample the reverb signal, reverse it and play it back. All live, reverse reverbs are a combination of those two things with the order set to taste.

Is this what reverse on the H9 sounds like?

Around the 5:10 mark he says "I'll increase the feedback here" which shows you how it's just a sampled, delayed signal, that's played back reversed.

That ringing though, as it it increases volume after he hits a note in the first part of the video, I'm not sure how to emulate. Yet.

The Polara's reverse sounds like a turd. A bright, tinny, strained-to-its-limit-processor turd. It's awful.

Question: how does reverse reverb work live? It was always a studio effect, applied to the track running backwards and then shifted and aligned with the track running forwards. So how do you do it live? You can't pre-know what someone is going to play? And you can't delay what they're hearing in order to process it.

Answer: you sample it. Exactly the way reverse....wait for it...delay works!

Once you know this it's almost trivial to construct a wonderful reverse reverb in the Axe-Fx II. And bonus: you have insane control over the actual reverb algorithm being applied to the reverse signal. You're not limited to whatever tinny, bright space the pedal designer had to settle for to make it work in the pedal.

I'll leave you with an appropriately hallowe'en-inspired sound sample and we can talk in the morning about how I did it.

Bonus points if you can identify the first riff. Happy hallowe'eeeeeeeeeeeeeen!!!

I was thinking about that tune, I had a close encounter with remembering it, but I just can't put my finger on it.

Is this what reverse on the H9 sounds like?

Around the 5:10 mark he says "I'll increase the feedback here" which shows you how it's just a sampled, delayed signal, that's played back reversed.

That ringing though, as it it increases volume after he hits a note in the first part of the video, I'm not sure how to emulate. Yet.

Yes that is the sound of the H9 reverse reverb. Very cool sound I think. Hard to get exactly that sound.

Yes that is the sound of the H9 reverse reverb. Very cool sound I think. Hard to get exactly that sound.
Yea, I think that's "reverse amplitude delay in to reverb", not so much "reverse reverb". Based on @Jbmetal's suggestion I was playing around with the Megatap block in to a Reverb block and it's not too hard to cop that sound. No feedback though you could simulate it with a send and return block.

Back
Top Bottom