18.07 seems to have quite a bit more bass and gain?

Still don't understand why people are trying to get their stuff to sound the same as before. Either you're going from bug to not a bug or from G2 to G3. In either case I don't understand why would you want to roll back to the bug or the old modeling G version? Get with the new! Jump on the team for the big win!

5153 Red is friggin' psychotic. Best I've ever had. Spoiled filthy stinkin' rotten.

Still don't understand why people are trying to get their stuff to sound the same as before. Either you're going from bug to not a bug or from G2 to G3. In either case I don't understand why would you want to roll back to the bug or the old modeling G version? Get with the new! Jump on the team for the big win!

5153 Red is friggin' psychotic. Best I've ever had. Spoiled filthy stinkin' rotten.

It is kind of weird in a way..... When someone went and bought a new amp head, or new FX pedal, or new speaker cab etc, it was to have NEW sounds typically. Didn't make much sense to want to go and try to duplicate what you've already got with something new.

If your happy with your tones, stick with whatever FW your using

If you want to create some new tones, update the FW. It might take some tweaks to get what you like, but the same could be said with going out and buying a new amp.

I had a live gig on Sunday night and used stock presets with no tweaking and 18.07. It just felt better. I did notice the low frequency thing in the previous firmware especially with the high gain presets but it seemed balanced out the other night with the newer firmware.... nice and powerful with the guitar volume for gain rolloff and a coil tap on my burstbuckers for the funky stuff. I also use a Les Paul with one pickup at full volume for lead work.... it depends on the song which one, but in this case I don't even have to change preset for the whole gig, just tap in boosts or delays or whatever I need.

All I've got to say is that if you are prepared to use the Axe like a traditional amp and effects chain there's nothing to beat it. If you want the system to do all the work for you without gain rolloffs and pickup choice then the route is a lot harder. Just my 2c.

Another huge point that has to be revisited every once in a while. Handwringing over bedroom level tweaking is for naught when transitioning to the live stage/room environment.

Sorry if it appears that I personally chastised you. I'm didn't mean too, but I can't speak for the others. It's just that on a forum, even if time has gone by and an issue spoken about, anyone coming in may want to add their view as well, though we've all moved on :) It happened, and people will probably mention it more, but I'm sure we know it was unintentional.

Right on...moving along...nothing to see here :) FWIW, your note did not bother me as much as the guy who said I was intentionally cruel. Jeez...that's giving me WAY too much credit as some devious mastermind who's out to burn the cylces of Cliff. Yes...that's it...I'm a Kemper spy!

Last edited:

Oof - making me jones to upgrade the firmware, as I use a lot of 5153 Red! Time to talk myself down till I finish recording and can take some time reworking patches (coming from 15.07)

I have been loading new FW as they are updated with the bug fixes, etc.
Use the stock patches since FW 18 presets came out.
Mostly use PAF level humbuckers, but one of them splits.

Seems that the voicing of amps overall is moving toward more bass, gain, and muddier.
The unit had been gaining greater clarity over time(The Fenders all were too bassy with humbuckers for months without tweaking).

Seems to be going back that direction again.
Just an observation, but the user presets are now not very usable again and they had been sounding great out of box by and large.

I updated yesterday from 18.04b to 18.07 and noticed more bass also. I can turn the bass down and still notice less clarity than before. I even reloaded 18.04b and went back to verify the difference and yep its there? Done a system reset both times etc...

I updated yesterday from 18.04b to 18.07 and noticed more bass also. I can turn the bass down and still notice less clarity than before. I even reloaded 18.04b and went back to verify the difference and yep its there? Done a system reset both times etc...

There was no firmware called "18.04b".

axefx2_18p04beta.syx was the version I was using prior to the 18.07 update. I'm heading to the man cave to have a second listen.

axefx2_18p04beta.syx was the version I was using prior to the 18.07 update. I'm heading to the man cave to have a second listen.

The only difference between 18.04beta and 18.07 is the triode model. The upcoming 18.08 will have the option to use the "Modern" model that was in 18.04. If you are into high gain this model may work better (although it's less realistic).

There have been times that I got used to the sound of the previous fw and on the second listen to the new -" I got it", but not every time. happens to many of us it seems but all is good. I still have the best sounds ever just not always the most familiar.

There have been times that I got used to the sound of the previous fw and on the second listen to the new -" I got it", but not every time. happens to many of us it seems but all is good. I still have the best sounds ever just not always the most familiar.

18.08 will be the best of both worlds. There are four triode models in 18.08:
• Short Plate: an accurate model of a modern “short plate” production 12AX7.
• Long Plate: an accurate model of a classic “long plate” 12AX7.
• Modern: An idealized 12AX7 model. This is the same model from version 18.04 firmware. This model is useful for high gain tones that can benefit from the increased clarity and string separation.
• Vintage: Another idealized 12AX7 model also from version 18.04 firmware. Has a softer breakup than the Modern model. Useful for “vintage” tones where more base nonlinearity is present

You know, thanks for this note that I missed. It's helpful and reasonable. I have been assailed for being cruel to Cliff for apparently and "intentionally" wasting his time. All I did was report my experience and answer a few questions...and apologize to the man for him chasing this as an 18.07 troubleshooting item.

I read into this as sincerity and you are welcome mate (unless it was sarcastic, then my response is "meh" ;) ). I think some people are too quick to assume the worse-case-scenario and presumptuous douchery @ times. FW18+ has opened some serious sonic doors and not all statements/questions are irrelevant and should be quickly discarded. I think if anything with this discussion, Cliff has a better grasp on the vast differences in use cases the Axe-FX offers and the users consume. My setup is relatively simple and I love the tones I can create out for my AFX II Original. When you add in the complexity of user vs. factory cabs or tone matching, it adds additional layers to troubleshooting.

You're good mate, just thought I could share what has worked for me! Rock on brotha's & sista's!

18.08 will be the best of both worlds. There are four triode models in 18.08:
• Short Plate: an accurate model of a modern “short plate” production 12AX7.
• Long Plate: an accurate model of a classic “long plate” 12AX7.
• Modern: An idealized 12AX7 model. This is the same model from version 18.04 firmware. This model is useful for high gain tones that can benefit from the increased clarity and string separation.
• Vintage: Another idealized 12AX7 model also from version 18.04 firmware. Has a softer breakup than the Modern model. Useful for “vintage” tones where more base nonlinearity is present

This is gonna be GREAT!

I'm right there with ya, austinbuddy! Really stoked Cliff is giving us all four from which to choose our poison! Just gets better and better.

Cheers

Lee

Back
Top Bottom