18.07 seems to have quite a bit more bass and gain?

Is there any other input but the top left haha.
Not a big fan of blending the channels or the normal channel in general but that is just my preference. I think it stems all the way back to getting my first non master volume Marshall and being disappointed that jumping the channels didn't cascade any gain :) I don't know why but in my youth, I always thought that was what would happen :) Non master volume amps are very sweet though. Glad I have a room where I can wind them up to their proper volume. It's amazing at that volume how loud the different cabs are. My Marshall Vintage 30 cabs are loud and my greenback and blackback cabs are much quieter. Can see why people used the greenbacks/blackbacks besides the actual sound of them as they are a good deal quieter with the amp dimed.

Same experiences here. The normal input is useless to me :)

And I also expected jumping a 4 hole to make some kind of killer extra gain stage. It took me a while to figure out how to use a fuzz with a 4 hole and get the drive and balls without being too buzzy.

What firmware were you using previously?

I was on 18.06, I think? I've always tended to upgrade as you've released updates. I am using my own patches and I reset them by selecting a different amp then coming back to the amp I want. I only do two advanced tweaks though. I basically set the low freq on the speaker tab to match up with the cab IR I'm using and then I also now change to long plate tubes on vintage marshall stuff.

It may be my IRs, I tried my own custom mix this time instead of using the pre-made mix files from Ownhammer. Maybe I need to go back to that for the next gig to validate.

It may be my IRs, I tried my own custom mix this time instead of using the pre-made mix files from Ownhammer. Maybe I need to go back to that for the next gig to validate.

Ugh. I've spent three hours trying to find something that could explain what you were hearing. Would have been nice to know you used different IRs before wasting all that time.

Ugh. I've spent three hours trying to find something that could explain what you were hearing. Would have been nice to know you used different IRs before wasting all that time.

Crap...deepest apologies. That was not my intent. I will be more diligent on my end before posting stuff that kills folks time.

Last edited:
18.07 sounds amazing here with the factory presets. Best firmware I've ever made. You should go back to 18.04 if you like that one better.

18.07 sounds amazing here as well. I haven't been able to imagine a better rig for a couple of years now, and this one just keeps getting better. Played three sets yesterday. Consistently use a Vox AC 15 with a TAF Vox mix IR, a Plexi 50 High with a TV Mix UR IR, a Friedman BE with a mix of OH EV12L and Basketweave IRs, and a Boogie II with an EV12L IR. Also regularly use several delays, the rotary, and some verbs. I could not be happier with my sound. Period.

Maybe a sticky Cliff, that describes what people should always share, list explain in their posts if they feel they have a bug or issue ect. Like I noticed in a ton of cases, having them sharing a preset helps a lot. Other cases, What cab they are using and so forth.

Maybe a sticky Cliff, that describes what people should always share, list explain in their posts if they feel they have a bug or issue ect. Like I noticed in a ton of cases, having them sharing a preset helps a lot. Other cases, What cab they are using and so forth.

well in this case, he made it sound like nothing had changed except the firmware update, only to find out he changed IRs completely, which of course can alter the sound dramatically.

I have now adapted most of my presets and i have to say it was a pretty quick affair. Luckily i already had a PEQ after cab block, i used that to shelve down the bass a notch. Worked consistently and smoothly with my OH UR's.

WOW! I'm not trying to be mean, but I just read through this thread and was compelled to make a comment...

The amount of ignorance in this thread is amazing. I can't believe Cliff is actually taking the time to investigate every little comment about the firmware in this thread in an attempt to make everyone happy. I seriously feel for him. The guy who opted not to admit that he switched his impulses (obviously changing his tone) but leading Cliff to believe there was something wrong with the firmware is just cruel. All I can say is this is a huge testament to Cliff that he stands behind his product to this level and will do anything in his power to resolve everyone's issues with his box.

For the record, I've found no audible difference with 18.07. Even with the cab block bug squashed.

Fine idea, but look at how many people are stilling posting "help, my Axe produces no sound when using it as a USB interface" threads even with sticky talking about USB return levels (in addition to it being clearly in the release notes).

I think its just human nature for a lot of people to go and directly post a thread, feeling their issues is different, unique, more important (because it happened to them lol) so it requires its own thread. Just one of those things that happens on any equipment forum. This one being a bit nicer as usually people will still go ahead and help.

Well we are all guitar players here....... A little smarter than drummers, but still.....:lol

U sure?

Come on, guys, calm down a bit. Although there was some oversight, very unfortunate, none of this is intentional and he apologized. Let's stop wasting more time and go do meaningful stuff instead.

it's moments such as this that i recall something my old sound man used to say while sound checking at clubs in the 90's.
"Guitarists, the whiniest of all God's creatures"......

If you upgrade your firmware I would personally not go to a gig thinking it will sound the same because even minute ('newt') changes can shift how an amp or cab will sound. For example, I backed up my FW17.04 presets and loaded them into 18.03, nope, didn't sound great. This was to be expected with such sonic changes between the firmware modeling.

My new process is build patches from scratch after new firmware comes out because it takes a relatively short amount of time to make it sound just right. I also played this weekend @ my church and built a Mesa Lonestar preset with an Ultra-Res cab in 15 minutes with a VOL > DRV > AMP > CAB > REV > DEL > MLTYDLY block sequence for most ambient tones. Holy moly, it sounded amazing.

I think these smaller issues will pan out if the user community agrees to move past their "previous presets sounded amazing now they don't" mentality. You have to be careful with that mindset because of the huge paradigm shift FW 18+ offers. With the huge complexity of variables presented, I think it would be beneficial to try and rebuild the presets considering what amps/cabs you prefer, your monitoring method and "to the ears" sonic contentment.

You know, thanks for this note that I missed. It's helpful and reasonable. I have been assailed for being cruel to Cliff for apparently and "intentionally" wasting his time. All I did was report my experience and answer a few questions...and apologize to the man for him chasing this as an 18.07 troubleshooting item. Originally I entered the thread because my first experience live in a while was on 18.07 and I was not hearing more bass and instead excess treble. I just reported it and said that I didn't know where to really start and it spiraled out from there. For the record, the IR "change" I made is I went from the OH V3 M-PR-55 RVNT 06 to a custom mix of the R121 and SM57 05 (-9 db) on the same exact cab and speakers. Just a slightly different recipe that, when I listened and compared at home, only varied slightly on the sound as well. To be honest, there is not that much difference between any of the mix files when looking at the same exact cab and speaker from the same IR supplier. If anything, I think the issue was more around the mixing board but I'll go back and retweak.

You know, thanks for this note that I missed. It's helpful and reasonable. I have been assailed for being cruel to Cliff for apparently and "intentionally" wasting his time.
Sorry if it appears that I personally chastised you. I'm didn't mean too, but I can't speak for the others. It's just that on a forum, even if time has gone by and an issue spoken about, anyone coming in may want to add their view as well, though we've all moved on :) It happened, and people will probably mention it more, but I'm sure we know it was unintentional.

well in this case, he made it sound like nothing had changed except the firmware update, only to find out he changed IRs completely, which of course can alter the sound dramatically.

Right, but that doesn't change that a new person won't know what to share to help others help him. I think having a standard of what to share as you ask for help would limit some of this stuff. In this case it might even got to remember he changed the IR ect so yeah would be nice to see that because I hate Cliff and others waste their time when he already puts a crap load of time here helping improve the unit.

Right, but that doesn't change that a new person won't know what to share to help others help him. I think having a standard of what to share as you ask for help would limit some of this stuff. In this case it might even got to remember he changed the IR ect so yeah would be nice to see that because I hate Cliff and others waste their time when he already puts a crap load of time here helping improve the unit.

I ask for it all the time and tried to get other helper types to ask, but it's just a chore for the people asking the question.

What axe model? What firmware? What MFC model? What firmware? How are they connected? What computer? What OS? What version of Axe-Edit?

Etc.

If people could copy and store it somewhere so they can just paste it, that'd be great. Or have a mandatory Signature that mentions all the gear used. But that would be hard to keep updated.

So I think there is no way to do it.

"Why do you need to know my firmware? Just answer my question."

I get that all the time.

I ask for it all the time and tried to get other helper types to ask, but it's just a chore for the people asking the question.

What axe model? What firmware? What MFC model? What firmware? How are they connected? What computer? What OS? What version of Axe-Edit?

Etc.

If people could copy and store it somewhere so they can just paste it, that'd be great. Or have a mandatory Signature that mentions all the gear used. But that would be hard to keep updated.

So I think there is no way to do it.

"Why do you need to know my firmware? Just answer my question."

I get that all the time.

Yeah I can imagine LOL Putting it in sigs is another good idea man!!!

Back
Top Bottom