18.07 seems to have quite a bit more bass and gain?

or an old Plexi with the bass on 0, everything else on 10...

My 68 small box 50w plexi has the bass on 10. Everything is on 10 except volume is 8 and presence is 8. Sounds sweet :) My two 78 Marshall 1987 models have everything on 10 except the volume which is again on 8.
I do hear of a lot of my mates saying they take the bass down on certain 100w plexi amps though.
Bass on my Boogie Mk3's is never really above 2 and the mid never past 3 as they are too flubby past there.

most friends and i, we turn the bass on fender hotrod deluxe or twin most times all the way down. with the twin though u can let more bass, but you need to cut the highs. people even modify their deluxes to come over the bass problem....and as mentioned, plexi has also way too much bass...so 0 or 1 for bass on these amps is nothing unusual

or an old Plexi with the bass on 0, everything else on 10...
Thanks, jlynnb1. Good call - I'm now bonding well with the 18.07 - 'Plexi Normal' (preset 7), by doing this as you suggest. I turned on bright, and added a pre eq so i could roll off some lows coming into the amp from my EMGs (LTD ec1000) and add some 'fairly wide 800Hz. +6dB' and 'fairly wide 4kHz. +3.5dB' as per Tom Scholz 'Boston' album. Then i turned boost on to get some 'beef' back, and it's real nice - girth and juice and teeth, bite and sting. :encouragement:

on the plexi cutting the bass lets certain mid frequencies through. which sounds better and lets u cut through the mix easier. there is an interaction between bass and mid knobs.
give it a try, turn the bass to zero or somewhere close and see if you have thighter low end and a better midrange...would like to hear your opinion.

My 68 small box 50w plexi has the bass on 10. Everything is on 10 except volume is 8 and presence is 8. Sounds sweet :) My two 78 Marshall 1987 models have everything on 10 except the volume which is again on 8.
I do hear of a lot of my mates saying they take the bass down on certain 100w plexi amps though.
Bass on my Boogie Mk3's is never really above 2 and the mid never past 3 as they are too flubby past there.

Last edited:
That is SOP for Fenders. And remember Fenders are labeled from 1 to 10 so 3 on a Fender is around 2 on the Axe-Fx (and 3 is typically where most people set the bass on a Fender).

I've always set the bass knob on my Mark IV's lead channel to 1 or 2 (and then compensated for it with the graphic EQ). This seems like pretty standard behavior for the Mark series.

A couple of big name players here in Australia have always had the bass turned right down to zero and say that they never use it. Their tones have been huge and don't lack anything.

on the plexi cutting the bass lets certain mid frequencies through. which sounds better and lets u cut through the mix easier. there is an interaction between bass and mid knobs.
give it a try, turn the bass to zero or somewhere close and see if you have thighter low end and a better midrange...would like to hear your opinion.

My actual Plexi is very bass light. It sounds amazing with the settings I mentioned. Just stick a 414 in front and away you go. I don't often use it to record. It is a very aggressive amp with grinding mids almost like an SLO 100 and most producers don't like it haha.
Here is a recording I did of it a couple of years ago. Old 81 flying V into Wah then into amp. AKG 414 into Focusrite ISA 828. One take and a couple of duffers :) It was just a test to see if the producer liked the sound but they wanted to keep the take as they liked the rawness :shock Not as much gain as I use with my Mk3 Boogies but I wanted to try and get a more modern sound out of old gear and quite liked the vibe. I only played a couple of bits on this album. It's my old keyboard players band.
Plexi solo starts at 1 hour in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZTtMsaVzMI&spfreload=10

It's certainly not bass heavy. Quite the opposite.

A couple of big name players here in Australia have always had the bass turned right down to zero and say that they never use it. Their tones have been huge and don't lack anything.

Yes, a couple of my mates say the same but they normally play a 100w plexi. One who owns a few says it's only certain ones he pulls the bass back and the others are fine. My Plexi is a 50w and like both my 78 4 input non master Marshall's, they are fine with bass on 10.
EVH certainly had everything dimed on a 100w. Might be a specific year thing? Who knows? I am sure Fractal have a few Plexi's to know for certain.
Marshall were notorious for grabbing whatever was in the parts bin on any particular day so it seems a standard spec is probably out of the window :)

all these information are very interesting. It helps to understand, and show that the AFX is in the right behavior with regard to the actual amps. A point on which we have no doubt !

Plexi and Bass: there's not a single "correct" way. Also totally depends on what input you're plugging into. Using the Plexi's Normal input, I'd turn down Bass all the way. Using the High/Treble input, I'd not do that.

Also, there's a lot of variety between the amps. The 1987x for example is very bassy-heavy, even the Treble channel and model. I remember Javajunkie writing that his real amp is like that too. I play the 1987x Treble with Bass all the way down.

Plexi and Bass: there's not a single "correct" way. Also totally depends on what input you're plugging into. Using the Plexi's Normal input, I'd turn down Bass all the way. Using the High/Treble input, I'd not do that.

Also, there's a lot of variety between the amps. The 1987x for example is very bassy-heavy, even the Treble channel and model. I remember Javajunkie writing that his real amp is like that too. I play the 1987x Treble with Bass all the way down.

Is there any other input but the top left haha.
Not a big fan of blending the channels or the normal channel in general but that is just my preference. I think it stems all the way back to getting my first non master volume Marshall and being disappointed that jumping the channels didn't cascade any gain :) I don't know why but in my youth, I always thought that was what would happen :) Non master volume amps are very sweet though. Glad I have a room where I can wind them up to their proper volume. It's amazing at that volume how loud the different cabs are. My Marshall Vintage 30 cabs are loud and my greenback and blackback cabs are much quieter. Can see why people used the greenbacks/blackbacks besides the actual sound of them as they are a good deal quieter with the amp dimed.

I upgraded the firmware and my patches had mids that were less usable. To get my patches close to sounding how they were before the firmware update, I had to put in a PEQ block and scoop the mids.

I've never changed the global EQ. Also the distortion was less tight in general.

...Rolling back to Firmware 17.

The UR will have a better definition especially in the bass freq, so will sound "looser" "less tight" "like there is more gain/less control"
and all that.

I played live this weekend with 18.07. Normally my bass player (who runs our sound) says my tone sounds spot on. For this gig, he mentioned it was piercing and lacking depth. I was mostly using a Les Paul with PAF pickups and 500K pots so my guitar does lean brighter. I play mostly the Plexi patches with bass 5-7, mids around 7, and treble and presence around 7. I was using custom IRs. They were OH MAR-CBs with the M-PR-55. 100% of an R121 and -9 on the SM57 in the 5 position. I ended up having to bring the treble down on my patches to around 5. I was going through the same Presonus board we used last time and it has a preset EQ that cuts the highs and lows specific to guitar. Anyway, I noticed too that it sounded thin at my CLR monitor. Not sure how to approach it yet but just reporting my experience.

Happened to me too! Also, it was my bassist!:))) i put a peq after the amp with a passive hi shelf to tame the highs. Isn't presence 7 a bit too high?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I played live this weekend with 18.07. Normally my bass player (who runs our sound) says my tone sounds spot on. For this gig, he mentioned it was piercing and lacking depth. I was mostly using a Les Paul with PAF pickups and 500K pots so my guitar does lean brighter. I play mostly the Plexi patches with bass 5-7, mids around 7, and treble and presence around 7. I was using custom IRs. They were OH MAR-CBs with the M-PR-55. 100% of an R121 and -9 on the SM57 in the 5 position. I ended up having to bring the treble down on my patches to around 5. I was going through the same Presonus board we used last time and it has a preset EQ that cuts the highs and lows specific to guitar. Anyway, I noticed too that it sounded thin at my CLR monitor. Not sure how to approach it yet but just reporting my experience.

What firmware were you using previously?

Not sure how to approach it yet but just reporting my experience.

If you upgrade your firmware I would personally not go to a gig thinking it will sound the same because even minute ('newt') changes can shift how an amp or cab will sound. For example, I backed up my FW17.04 presets and loaded them into 18.03, nope, didn't sound great. This was to be expected with such sonic changes between the firmware modeling.

My new process is build patches from scratch after new firmware comes out because it takes a relatively short amount of time to make it sound just right. I also played this weekend @ my church and built a Mesa Lonestar preset with an Ultra-Res cab in 15 minutes with a VOL > DRV > AMP > CAB > REV > DEL > MLTYDLY block sequence for most ambient tones. Holy moly, it sounded amazing.

I think these smaller issues will pan out if the user community agrees to move past their "previous presets sounded amazing now they don't" mentality. You have to be careful with that mindset because of the huge paradigm shift FW 18+ offers. With the huge complexity of variables presented, I think it would be beneficial to try and rebuild the presets considering what amps/cabs you prefer, your monitoring method and "to the ears" sonic contentment.

My ears must be shot I just do not hear all this extra bass and gain everyone is talking about. My patches are unchanged at least to my ears. Guess it's time to have hearing checked.......

Back
Top Bottom