18.01 sounds different than 18.00 b7

Phil

Inspired
I tested it only on one preset, I think 18 has more gain and brightness.I did a short recording to let you hear.First is 18.01 and than 18.00b7.It was done with reamping so it is exactly the same.
I feel I have to reprogram it.

Any thoughts?

Phil.

Cliff did post this ,i think there is then some difference.

You should notice better midrange and treble clarity on certain high gain amp models compared to the beta. I did a lot of critical listening and comparing of the new algorithms over the last few weeks and noticed a tiny bit of "signature" to the sound. I traced that to the triode cutoff formula being too "soft". The new formula removes that signature which also yields increased clarity and string separation for models that rely on preamp distortion.

Yes that's probably expected. See the following post from Cliff:

You should notice better midrange and treble clarity on certain high gain amp models compared to the beta. I did a lot of critical listening and comparing of the new algorithms over the last few weeks and noticed a tiny bit of "signature" to the sound. I traced that to the triode cutoff formula being too "soft". The new formula removes that signature which also yields increased clarity and string separation for models that rely on preamp distortion.

I'm loving the clarity of my patches now, and haven't had to change a thing with FW18.01.

Any thoughts?

Phil.

That's the nature of this FW update (G3 modeling), I wouldn’t expect the beta to be equal the release. If nothing changed then a FW update would be pretty absurd unless the FW update is addressing bug-fixes only or feature addition.

I tested it only on one preset, I think 18 has more gain and brightness.I did a short recording to let you hear.First is 18.01 and than 18.00b7.It was done with reamping so it is exactly the same.

Any thoughts?

Phil.

Yes it sounds differend...

To me it sounds significantly different and I'm very happy to see it and hear it. The actual FW is MUCH better to me than the beta for the amps that I tried. Actually, this version is the golden lalapalooza of firmwarez indeed. I don't know what Cliff did, but I know he did it right this time.

The first clip is more saturated and articulate and for some reason it smells like a delicious ham sandwich.

Thanks for the answers but I have to point out that this is not a high gain amp (ac20 dlx treble) and I didn't expect so much difference between the beta and the final release.
But it's not a big deal to dial in again.

Phil.

Thanks for the answers but I have to point out that this is not a high gain amp (ac20 dlx treble) and I didn't expect so much difference between the beta and the final release.
But it's not a big deal to dial in again.

Phil.

At the end of the day, we were using a beta release so that definitely still can change before the final release. One of the disclaimers of the beta is that we cannot expect the final release to be exactly the same, for that reason I didn't spend too many hours dialing in my patches with the beta release. Having said that, I didn't have to change much as the amps generally sounded really good by default with FW18.

I noticed it as well but didn't trust my ears enough to be sure until reading this thread.

What's the best way to dial it back toward the beta as I'd like it to be somewhere in between?

Interesting, I thought I noticed something along those lines, but figured it was in my head... it was a tweak for the better, IMHO! LOL.

That first half of the clip would be a PERFECT sounding patch to play Pink Floyd - Pigs! You should post that patch for us to play with.

on topic, the first half sounds much better. Way more energy and human.

Any thoughts?

Phil.

Don't touch that patch! The 18.01 version sounds better - really great!

I noticed it as well but didn't trust my ears enough to be sure until reading this thread.

What's the best way to dial it back toward the beta as I'd like it to be somewhere in between?

I dialed the presence back on my Tucana Lead patch and it came in perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom