Wish 16 scenes

NeoSound

Fractal Fanatic
16 scenes even if only 8 are available at any one time. (8a set and 8b set?) selecting the the ones you wish active in a preset or an a/b switch assignable on the fc?. With a ever growing (and amazing) effects library it's easy to make more variations of scenes. Of course we can make a copy of presets but having the extra available could be helpful. Just a thought.

Also, presets switch slower, so for perfect cross-fades and pristine tails Scenes are the way to go, so more Scenes please!

I don't see how that's making any difference.
Um... Many parts of a preset are shared across scenes. If I now make multiple presets and then need to change one (or more) of those common things I have to update the same things in multiple presets.

Global Blocks can help with that, but otherwise it's tedious and error prone.
Yes, but that suggests that you need 16 sounds seamlessly accessible. I can't imagine a scenario/song where this would be necessary?
Just because you can't doesn't mean there isn't ;)

I assume you're not a user of kitchen sink style presets?

Remember that what you do is not what I do is not what the next person does. There are many working styles to suit different users.

Um... Many parts of a preset are shared across scenes. If I now make multiple presets and then need to change one (or more) of those common things I have to update the same things in multiple presets.

Global Blocks can help with that, but otherwise it's tedious and error prone.

Still I don't see the difference between maintaining two presets, or one complex preset.

Just because you can't doesn't mean there isn't ;)

I assume you're not a user of kitchen sink style presets?

That's why I asked. I want to understand it :)

I have some kitchen sink style presets, but I don't need much, that's true.

Still I don't see the difference between maintaining two presets, or one complex preset.
I tried to explain it in my last reply. Imagine you want to change the Amp block but keep everything else the same. The Amp block is the same in both presets you've created (to cover more than 8 scenes). You now have to edit and maintain the same settings in 2 presets rather than a single preset.

That's why I asked. I want to understand it
I have some kitchen sink style presets, but I don't need much, that's true.
I use 8 scenes in mine. I could easily use more.

With the number of blocks and channel combinations that can be in a single preset, there are a huge number of permutations. Sometimes it's as simple as I want this specific combination of effects on/off. Or a specific combination of channels.

There's no easy way to change multiple things at once without a scene change...

I've been experimenting with presets and with so many effects channels, I can easily make more than 8 useful variations of the same base idea. I would really like to keep some of those 8+ variations without splitting them into another preset. Even if you had to prepare beforehand by selecting the scenes you want to use. Basically you would have a big sky, or a timeline or a distortion modeler ready to go when needed.

What would this actually look like in implementation though? Like how do you lay all that out in the unit and on axe-edit?

To me if you need to click a button to go from 8a to 8b, clicking a button from preset A to preset B is the same thing.

Re: managing 2 presets vs one, you would just copy preset A to a slot for preset B and make the tweaks from there (or use global parameters).

I tried to explain it in my last reply. Imagine you want to change the Amp block but keep everything else the same. The Amp block is the same in both presets you've created (to cover more than 8 scenes). You now have to edit and maintain the same settings in 2 presets rather than a single preset.

Ok, but you already mentioned Global Blocks. Also you could easily make these changes, save the block to your library and load it in the second preset.

Ok, but you already mentioned Global Blocks. Also you could easily make these changes, save the block to your library and load it in the second preset.
It's still extra work...

Also, I assume this would also get applied to the FM3 and FM9 which don't have Global Blocks.

What would this actually look like in implementation though? Like how do you lay all that out in the unit and on axe-edit?

To me if you need to click a button to go from 8a to 8b, clicking a button from preset A to preset B is the same thing.

Re: managing 2 presets vs one, you would just copy preset A to a slot for preset B and make the tweaks from there (or use global parameters).
I don't like the a/b suggestion. Give me 16 directly accessible scenes.

Again, copying the preset and making changes is additional work and doesn't allow for the benefits of gapless changes via scenes.

I don't like the a/b suggestion. Give me 16 directly accessible scenes.

Again, copying the preset and making changes is additional work and doesn't allow for the benefits of gapless changes via scenes.
Agreed with both of those. If there were more scenes, I'd rather be able to get at them directly. Having two "banks" of scenes doesn't seem useful to me, but I guess it's kind of like the way Views are used on the FCs...

I can't imagine a scenario/song where this would be necessary?
I can't see myself ever needing more than 8 scenes, but I don't play Prog ;-)

I probably could use them for something like a jam band where I want everything in one preset - thinking of a complex Garcia or Trey setup where I might want anything at any time - but in that case I'd be more likely to use fx directly for most of them.

Still, I'm all for more options if FAS wants to add them.

A/B select of each group of 8 scenes. A/B select button in axe edit, also for fc, also on unit? Having 16 scenes but only 8 available at a time. A bank or B bank only could be swapped to avoid confusion plus work in the framework of the existing display scheme etc...

Some of us are the only guitar in a complex prearranged show with most FX changes automated.

I need to cross-fade between acoustic and electric tones, with pristine FX tails on all time-based FX, as well as manually trigger some FX such as whammy and wah, big tempo sync'd echos etc, plus control elements of Ableton LIVE's Looper plugin manually.

Eight scenes are a bare minimum for me, would love a few more!

Back
Top Bottom