16.05 Test

sounds good but why does everyone want to sound like EVH?

you cant

he's unique

Meh... Why not? I mean, If I do a VH cover, I want the VH tone. If I do a cover of any band, I enjoy trying to cop that tone and feel. Yes Ed's unique, but I have heard quite a few guys sound like him, as much as one guitar player can ever really sound like another. There is nothing wrong with tone chasing. It gets a lot of hate from some people, but for others it's a lot of fun.

Certain music moves me, inspires me, and is responsible for me playing the guitar to begin with. EVH happens to be on that list. As a kid, I wished that I could do what I heard on the records. So... decades later... nothing has changed there. I still enjoy playing those songs and trying to make it as "real" as I can.

But I don't think 16.05 (or whatever) is about chasing Ed's tone. I think Cliff used this demo as a way to show what the channel strip can do. That could be for ANY tone.

+ ts9 solid state distortion or fuzzface in front of... ;)

Yeah but the meme is:

low quality => tube anything = better

So pedals in front are okay :)

I don't really subscribe to the tube snob stuff. For me the feel of the playing the amps and overall tone are what counts not how the amp is built.

Yeah but the meme is:

low quality => tube anything = better

So pedals in front are okay :)

I don't really subscribe to the tube snob stuff. For me the feel of the playing the amps and overall tone are what counts not how the amp is built.
Almost any type of predjudice is based on a mental short cut to some binary end point (i.e. toob == good, !toob == bad). Many people do not want to give deep thought to nuances or underlying principals.

Many times this serves us well, sometimes we don't have the time to think subtly... but when these short cuts become outmoded and unshakeable convictions stupidity of some sort invariably ensues.

It won't sound the same. The whole point is applying the "coloring" after the cab. A cab (or an IR of a cab) acts as a lowpass filter. An overdriven preamp then adds distortion AFTER this filter which adds high-frequency overtones. Putting it before the cab is pointless.
On the other hand, the null cab will let you use the Axe's preamp sims in post-processing.

The simulation is part of the Cabinet block. I put it there for simplicity, otherwise you would have to make sure you panned fully L/R when using stereo cabs and the average user doesn't read the manual. So there is a stereo preamp model in the Cabinet block. It also includes "channel strip-style EQ" which is based on the classic Neve EQ.

There are two modes for the preamp modeling: Economy and High Quality. Economy mode uses less CPU, obviously. High Quality oversamples to avoid aliasing but this uses more CPU.

Cliff have you tried Slate Digital's new VMR Neve console strip emulation? Curious as to what you think about it

Hey Cliff, remember that time you released beta firmware to everyone at the same time as you did to the beta team, and it was a mess, and you vowed never to do that again?

okay, good.

Now, forget everything you've learned and all the negative feelings of being burned, you had during and after that experience.

okay, great.

Would it be possible to release a beta of 16.05 so we could join in your jubilation?

thanks!

Cliff, great playing. Your gift is our pleasure.

Hope this and some other new 'channel strip' presets are in 16.05

I have never played a VH song in a cover band.... But every now and then I love to bash out You really got me, Panama or Unchained just for the hell of it!!!! Awesome to have his sound in the Axe.

This is a hella lot more than a VH clip nailer. Just sayin' and sayin' it LOUDLY. Holy jaw dropper Batman. This adds the final pieces of the direct-to-FOH puzzle. Soup to nuts now. The Monster just got balls. BIG BRASS balls. Hang on people!!

This is a hella lot more than a VH clip nailer. Just sayin' and sayin' it LOUDLY. Holy jaw dropper Batman. This adds the final pieces of the direct-to-FOH puzzle. Soup to nuts now. The Monster just got balls. BIG BRASS balls. Hang on people!!

I'm tingling all over from anticipation.

Thanks for nothin' Scott!

Did Cliff let loose with the preset for this? Since 17.0 is out I would like to tinker with this but it would be awesome to start with this preset. Oh and Cliff thanks for the last update in axe edit and the axe fx 2!!!!!

sounds good but why does everyone want to sound like EVH?

you cant

he's unique

also i think its a dis ervice to the AX fx that so much time is concentrated on metal tones as theres so much more music out there and the ax fx does amazing clean to breakup tones too altho you'd never know it from the wealth of metallers on the forum

pipe up all you other music lovers

Because VH's tone is one of the most elusive! "Running with the devil" sounds like out of control madness ....yet on a leash! .....if that makes any sense.

:)

Back
Top Bottom