1500 bucks, you say, Line6?

Big difference between the two companies.

One is now owned by a massive conglomerate, after who knows what went wrong. Obviously, they did a lot of things right, and did advance the world of guitar technology. The new product is a step in the right direction, and will be more readily consumable by the masses.

The other is a homegrown small company that started out as I believe a one-man show, and continues to offer great products and first-rate customer service.

Reactions: svl
It seems like Cliff has a similar goal. Nothing wrong with that. These guys really appear to have personal investment in the Helix platform just as Cliff has with Fractal. In order to keep the lines going, both companies have to make money so they do need a goal of selling units. That's business.

I can believe that Cliff may have such a goal. Or a particular engineer from Line 6. Or whoever. But I don't believe that a company has such a goal. And there's nothing wrong with making money and trying to eat competition alive for breakfast. Just don't play Google and bullshit about it, please. You don't sell your business to conglomerates to make guitars "viable again". You do it to make money. And that's a perfectly fine thing to do, if you ask me.

Oh, and my guitar is perfectly viable for me without Chip and Dale to the rescue.

I can believe that Cliff may have such a goal. Or a particular engineer from Line 6. Or whoever. But I don't believe that a company has such a goal. And there's nothing wrong with making money and trying to eat competition alive for breakfast. Just don't play Google and bullshit about it, please. You don't sell your business to conglomerates to make guitars "viable again". You do it to make money. And that's a perfectly fine thing to do, if you ask me.

Oh, and my guitar is perfectly viable for me without Chip and Dale to the rescue.

The quote was from one person on the team. There's plenty of enthusiasm from these guys. You choose to believe what Cliff says and not what this one person said. You don't know him. I don't know whether you actually know Cliff. But to call his statement bullshit under these circumstances is unfair. Fanboism I'm afraid.

I'm curious about that myself. At that point, it will be a huge replacement for my Fender Mustang Floor... unless I have the AX8 by then!

Gee, why would you want such an inferior product, even if cheap? Don't you care about tone.

Also, a Fender Mustang Floor? I just threw up in my mouth a little.

;-)

Last edited:
I have lots of friends who are ex-Line 6 guys, and talking to them I think the only way Yamaha, I mean Line 6 can truly redeem themselves for many guitarists is a free and continuous update/development process. Helix has that, and they might hook a few people.

I know I still wouldn't buy a Helix, either way though. I already get exactly what I want from my Axe-FX. But I'm picky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gee, why would you want such an inferior product, even if cheap? Don't you care about tone.

Also, a Fender Mustang Floor? I just threw up in my mouth a little.
Hmmm... sounds a little bit like someone's being a dick. Try to not get butthurt on the Internet sweetheart.

On topic, my neighbor is getting the hookup on one of the first production Helixs to demo for his studio. He bought my Kemper, and I obviously have an AxeFx. We'll have plenty to compare with. I'll report back once we've had our fun.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm just gonna wade in here, do my business, and get out. I am a noob using the axe-fx II xl+ that I just bought. And holy sh*t is it awesome. But I don't have a problem with other companies also trying to make awesome, or even "ok, but it costs a lot less" as that variety is the spice of life, and sometimes represents great strides in engineering just being able to bring the same thing to a wider audience for a lower price. One opinion I haven't seen expressed much of is the fact that lowering the barrier to entry is in fact what Fractal have been trying to do also, by making the ax8 and fx8 it seems, as opposed to assuming everyone will pony up to buy an axe-fx. So to me it's not about line 6 "steppin on fractal's turf", its more like low and high ends noticing a gap in the middle. And at $1500 (if that is still the price) I can't see people willing to put up with crap from whoever they want to buy from. And we, as capitalist consumers, will (as the theory goes) benefit from competition. By the way have you heard the axe-fx II? Holy sh*t!

Reactions: HIO
Hmmm... sounds a little bit like someone's being a dick. Try to not get butthurt on the Internet sweetheart.

On topic, my neighbor is getting the hookup on one of the first production Helixs to demo for his studio. He bought my Kemper, and I obviously have an AxeFx. We'll have plenty to compare with. I'll report back once we've had our fun.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Forgot the smiley face. Fixed.

In the grand scheme of things, ALL modelers cost less than the alternative. And I'm not talking "value," I'm talking if you want a quality tube amp setup that actually gets a tone you want, it's going to cost you more than any modeler currently available.

I put together a budget throw-together setup, and the amp and cab alone was over $1500. No effects at all, and the tone was barely passable. If I had wanted to get an amp with great tone I'd have had to fork over at least $2000, and don't even get me started on effects.

So really, the price of the Helix, vs the Axe-FX, vs the AX8, vs the FX8, vs whatever is actually pretty meaningless, it comes down to, as one here so eloquently put it, "does is knock your dick off?" If so, then use it, and be happy. Just keep the number to a great urologist, just in case.

^^ So true! And really important to remember.

The same can be said for all these great cab packs. I can spend a fraction of what one cab costs and have a warehouse full. Let alone, the cost of the preamp, mics, DI, cables, and all the time.

:lol

Add to that most of the crappy pop stuff out there.

In other words, if it would change the music industry's trend in general...

If I knew that spending $1500 for a Helix would help stomp out rap music, I'd buy two, if not three. :)

Yeah, essentially, this makes me much more interested in the AX8...

He's getting some okay sounds out of it, but this is definitely a hype video. Still hearing that flub bass.

I've said it before, I'm only really looking forward to hearing real, pro demos with 3rd party IRs from people who already know how to use it.

All the hype about the user interface, and the AX8 seems simpler to me, based on Mark day's vid.

There are some Soundcloud samples (posted over at The Gear Page) from a L6 Expert User. They sound okay. Note, "okay". Better than a lot of what we've heard.

Back
Top Bottom