1500 bucks, you say, Line6?

The law of not spending what I don't have money for.

Of course. I don't have a dumble for that reason.

However the post I was responding to seemed more about " any thing line 6" not being in the same league as Axe FX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes sense for you. Great!

But, you said you couldn't see anyone that has an Axe buying anything from Line 6?

Do you feel the same about an Axe owner also buying Kemper? Amplifire? Or is it just line 6 you don't dig?

While it's interesting that you interpreted my comment that way, it has nothing to do with brand bias on my end.

I will say that I had a Line 6 Vetta for 5 years, and feel they did drop the ball on that, so I always a little leery about any product that Line 6 puts out, but my opinion on redundant gear has nothing to do with brand. As far as Kemper goes, I personally don't have a use for a profiler, since I no longer own any tube amps, and Amplifire is one of those that I saw pop up somewhere, and never really got around to even reading about it since I have an Axe-FX. Seriously, I'm not even sure what it does, because I've been too busy with pushing my Axe-FX to the limits. Limits I might add, that I have found very few of.

Someone mentioned that Thomann video earlier here...

Yeah, no. Still not impressed.

I'll go to GC and try one, because I'm curious.

We really won't know until users start posting their demos, and we get to hear some with 3rd party IRs.

One MASSIVE benefit to the mass market availability of Helix, is that it should give a big boost to these great IRs producers.

The irony that Helix owners will be buying FAS cab packs. (They still won't know what they're missing... lol)

A note on IRs from the manual:

"NOTE: Helix utilizes mono IR files up to 2048 samples in length. Upon import, the IR Manager automatically shortens (or lengthens) all IR files to 2048 samples, but you may choose a less DSP-intensive, 1024-sample version from the Model list. Optionally, a stereo .WAV IR can be imported and the IR Manager will utilize only the left channel."

They have created one heck of a product. Lots of functionality. The XLR input was a great idea.

Now we wait for user reviews and demos.

The interface looks pretty cool (touch sensitive footswitches will be in every foot controller this time next year), and it's great that they included 4 external loops, but the amp and effect model selection is less than stellar. The amp and effect parameters I've seen are paltry. People sometimes equate Fractal gear to a kitchen and other pedals to a restaurants; I guess I'm a chef.

The interface looks pretty cool (touch sensitive footswitches will be in every foot controller this time next year), and it's great that they included 4 external loops, but the amp and effect model selection is less than stellar. The amp and effect parameters I've seen are paltry. People sometimes equate Fractal gear to a kitchen and other pedals to a restaurants; I guess I'm a chef.

The amp selection is pretty bread and butter, but enough for most people. Certainly not everyone. L6 recently stated that the choice of amps to include in firmware 1.0 was based on the time they had to get the models polished and ready. As Line 6 is owned by a public company, they're forbidden by law to discuss products in development so they can't say at this time what amps will be made available later. I'm not sure if they've said whether new amps and effects included in firmware will be free or whether they'll sell model packs. They'e done both in the past. There are a lot of amps available for the AxeFx now. But were they all there when the first one came out? Nope.

The effects selection is pretty good, but doesn't even include all effects from the M series. Then again, the FX8 doesn't include all the effects from the AXEFX. Neither will the AX8. I'm hoping more are added.

I've asked the question of Line 6 regarding the limited parameters for amps and effects. The manual hints at certain ones having several pages of parameters, so I'm guessing that the few listed in the manual are just the general paramaters and nowhere near a full list. If that's all, then it's clear they're not gunning for the Fractal crowd. But hopefully we'll have an answer for that soon. The manual certainly hints at deeper editing.

That's one reason you can get to any Helix parameter so quickly: there just aren't that many parameters.

Well, don't jump to conclusions. I've asked the question. The manual says that some effects and amps have multiple pages of parameters. The manual only lists basic common parameters. We'll know soon enough.

That's one reason you can get to any Helix parameter so quickly: there just aren't that many parameters.

I don't know many guitarists who are begging for extra parameters. Just the ones that are available on the real amps/effects are all the vast majority of guitarists want & should need.

That keeps things simple & avoids over thinking/tweaking......

Well, don't jump to conclusions. I've asked the question. The manual says that some effects and amps have multiple pages of parameters. The manual only lists basic common parameters. We'll know soon enough.
Interesting. One of their bragging points during initial publicity was the fact that it never takes more than a couple of switch presses to get to any parameter. At the end of that couple of switch presses, each parameter had its own knobs. There aren't enough knobs to handle more than a few parameters.

Time will tell.

The head of Line 6 product development said some effects have up to 24 parameters. We'll have to see when it gets into the hands of users.

The head of Line 6 product development said some effects have up to 24 parameters. We'll have to see when it gets into the hands of users.

He repeated that tonight. There's no exhaustive list of the parameters for each effect. I asked for clarification of amp parameters.

I don't know many guitarists who are begging for extra parameters. Just the ones that are available on the real amps/effects are all the vast majority of guitarists want & should need.

I guess I'm not most guitarists, then. I found, after having more limited modelers, that having more parameters is what got me closer to what I was wanting to hear, much faster, which allowed me to play more, and tweak less. I don't mess with every parameter, but many of the ones I do are not your standard knobs, and I'm 100% sure, I would have never found a vast majority of the tones I use without the ability to adjust those parameters. In fact, I leave my basic EQ at default till I've tuned in several of the advanced parameters where I like them first, then, if it needs it, I add or take away EQ, presence, and depth.

Straw man, my brother. It's not about begging for anything; there are a lot of people who make good use of those "extra" parameters.

Your point about keeping things simple is a good one. There's a market for that, just as there's a market for making things more flexible and versatile.

That's a very sparse manual. Doesn't say anything about fx parameters. How long are the delays? what things can be adjusted etc. How long is the looper?
The looper is also fairly limited; no reverse no half speed no dub mix or other creative stuff. Where can we find more info on the fx?

Page 11 of the manual shows the reverse mode and half speed for the looper as well as recording times. Maximum loop length is 60 seconds (Mono), or 30 seconds (Stereo). Double those times if you record at half speed.

Page 11 of the manual shows the reverse mode and half speed for the looper as well as recording times. Maximum loop length is 60 seconds (Mono), or 30 seconds (Stereo). Double those times if you record at half speed.

ok sorry, didn't see that. I only looked at page 30 (looper). That's nice! But no dub mix (that's what I use the most). Any info on the maximum delay times and options? That's what interests me the most.

Back
Top Bottom