1500 bucks, you say, Line6?

I have both good and bad experiences with line6. I really like the g30 i have (but it loves batteries). The m9 needed to be last in midi chain as it didnt pass the midi signal correctly. My pods screen had many broken pixels after a few years...

I doubt the quality of the screens on the helix. How scratchy are they? Like plastic mobile phones? Especially the big screen.. I would be very careful with that.

Another flaw is the delay / reverb spill over.. It doesnt have that (see l6 forum). Big con for me.

I hope to hear it in users hands soon.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

More informations here : Line 6

Amp and Cabs are too few in my opinion...
By the way mic number is a good point, i'd like to have more in the AxeFx...

The rear panel seems very cool, many fx loops, exp pedal inputs and a relay control for amp channels (if i understood correctly) ! Very good.

Then the effects list : http://line6.com/data/6/0a06439cc32f55b13d5d8e678/application/pdf
That's where you get disappointed... The 70 effects are only 10 effects in fact !!! They counted the effects models ^^ like reverb types etc... If we counted this way, the AxeFx would have tons of effects !

Amp and Cabs are too few in my opinion...

Seems like plenty of amps to me. And with user IRs, the options are not too limited.

Then the effects list : http://line6.com/data/6/0a06439cc32f55b13d5d8e678/application/pdf
That's where you get disappointed... The 70 effects are only 10 effects in fact !!! They counted the effects models ^^ like reverb types etc... If we counted this way, the AxeFx would have tons of effects !

They just to have a different approach. They've got plenty of great effects in that list.

Overall, it looks like Line 6 has put together a nice product. I think pretty much all of us are at least going to give it a test drive right?

Personally, I want the Helix to totally kick ass. From what I've seen over the years with Cliff, he reacts very positively to improvements in the marketplace and he listens to customers. I have no doubt that he's going to get some inspiration from a viable competitor and we all know that Cliff's inspirations are pretty damn remarkable. I hope Cliff gets around to checking out the Boss SY-300 as well - I would love to see some of that synth technology in my Axe-FX.

yea... sadly..... I was really hoping...

Those 2 distorted tones sound like my Marshall MG10CD practice amp with an 8" speaker....

and someone got really angry with me... LOL. He's buying the Line6 Helix to record 7 albums!!!!!! /fail

Last edited:
It looks to me like the line 6 development team has been trolling the wish list on this forum. Based my experience with both fractal and line 6 products, I just don't see myself buying anything from line 6 ever again.

I thought that video was great, though Sean Halley could make anything sound great. I may end up getting one instead of an MFC to control my Axe FX II and use as a back-up. I got really good tones with a HD500. I don't miss it now I have the Axe, but I'd bet the amps and effects in Helix sound really good based on that demo.

I saw a local band the other day & the guitarist sounded awesome with an HD500, so I have no doubt this Helix will be more than enough for most of the guitarists taking the modeling route out there.

I saw a local band the other day & the guitarist sounded awesome with an HD500, so I have no doubt this Helix will be more than enough for most of the guitarists taking the modeling route out there.

For me the ticket will be the user interface. If I can get it to sound like want it to, I'm good. Great even. I don't care if it sounds exactly like someone's particular Deluxe Reverb or Plexi. If I can dial in tones I like and it feels good, I'm a happy camper. I wasn't able to come close on the HD500, X3Live or original POD. Not even on the Spidervalve amp. So, we'll see.

For me the ticket will be the user interface. If I can get it to sound like want it to, I'm good. Great even. I don't care if it sounds exactly like someone's particular Deluxe Reverb or Plexi. If I can dial in tones I like and it feels good, I'm a happy camper. I wasn't able to come close on the HD500, X3Live or original POD. Not even on the Spidervalve amp. So, we'll see.

Agreed. As long as it sounds good, I'm in. The ease and flexibility of the interface goes a LONG way towards helping dial in the sound you want. As much as I love my Axe-Fx, there are times when I just settle for "close enough" because I don't want to dive into sub-menus to tweak something. I don't find the interface to be quite as smooth or "orgainic" as I'd like, so I don't experiment as much as I'd like. Ocassionally I miss old-school pedals for the immediacy of the interface, and it looks like the Helix might bring back some of that joy.

Very interesting product. I have both Axe Fx II and Line 6 Vetta.
Vetta has not the flexible routing and effects of the Axe Fx but
is still a monster amp (after 14 years).

This will probably be my home practice thing. Or the processor for not-so-important-or-far-away gigs. I'm sort of okay using an HD500X for those purposes now, so this new one couldn't be worse then that, I guess. And if it's better, I'm sold. It should be if it uses IRs for cab modeling.

I've been thinking about AX8 (or FX8), but they are too limiting (granted, I don't know anything about the AX8, but I'm hitting the limits of both the CPU and the Grid layout on my II XL+ even, so I have no idea how people use Axe FX's with less processing power). There are times and situations when it's much better to have lower quality effects then not being able to use them all, IMO.

I want an AFX because it seems to sound pretty incredible and has a bunch of amps I'm interested in (and Cliff keeps adding more!). Helix looks interesting and maybe, just maybe, it will sound amazing too. But it won't have all the amp models in interested in (and may never).

One good thing I can see about Helix is perhaps it'll spark some UI ideas for FAS. That might be nice because the Helix UI does look quite nice. If nothing comes of it, that's fine too.

Regardless, it might be interesting to have the AFX in one of the Helix's loops to use the AFX's amps and the Helix's effects. Not saying the AFX has bad effects--from what I have heard, they're great in their own right. But it would be interesting to have that many options. An added benefit is that it would open up additional processing power.

Edit: I have been reading this forum for a while. Didn't realize I'd never posted. Well...Hi, I guess. :)

Back
Top Bottom