1500 bucks, you say, Line6?

Something like the TI TMS320C6678, where EACH core is about I would say in a realistic performance comparison about 2x faster than one TigerSHARC.... the C6678 has 8 of those cores and it's about $160-$200 depending on the required package. So no...NOT EVEN nearly in the same neighborhood in terms of capabilities.
It's manufactured on a much newer process node (40nm I think) though so less $$$ to manufacture.
TMS320C6678 | C667x DSP | KeyStone Multicore DSP | Sample & buy
Looking at the distributors' websites, it looks like the total stock available worldwide is fewer than 200 units. Nice chip, but not quite ready to build a product around yet.

Altera Stratix 10. Probably $5k/chip. Can run 40 DSP cores. Time to go wide.

Not enough DSP horsepower in a Stratix 10. The DSP cores in it are quite small, meant for offloading some functionality that's hard to pipeline on in a lab/ALE setup. Also: massive power requirements. You think your AFII fans are noisy now?

iaresee, it was a joke. You're never going to see that class of chip inside a MI product. But trust me, if you can parallelize the problem, a Stratix will provide an order of magnitude or more of DSP compute power compared to a TigerSHARC. Hence the go wide statement.

Not enough DSP horsepower in a Stratix 10. The DSP cores in it are quite small, meant for offloading some functionality that's hard to pipeline on in a lab/ALE setup. Also: massive power requirements. You think your AFII fans are noisy now?

Wooosh haha

I will not even consider one of these until I can hear a majority of the amp models, DRY. There is a video where there is a comparison
between the HElix and a pod hd500 and the helix sounded much clearer, like the blanket has been lifted. Whether or not the amp models
can compare to fractal, remains to be seen. I have followed it quite a bit and I'm still thinking, meh. Show me some high gain amps, everyone
has the plexi nailed. Where's the beef?

The most telling thing to me is that in the vid they had a musician more or less play a few different sounds, and didn't mention the amp modelling section in the video at all.

Don't get me wrong, I can see a lot of hard work, and a good controller interface situation (in my uneducated opinon) but until someone points out how they are figuring out how to create a variety of authentic (keyword: authentic - in the authentic sense) guitar-to-amp signal sensitivity flows, I will assume they are a century behind the Axe FX II in this respect.

Or am just a product loyalty sheeple?

The thing about Line6 that prevents me from buying anything from them is their products appear to be disposable. Eventide, Lexicon, Fractal (and a few other pro-level companies I probably don't know about) seem to produce gear that sticks around forever. The Line6 products are usually good for what they cost, but they just lack any kind of lifespan in my opinion.

Still, the layout and interface look nice. I thought about ordering one to replace my 11R that serves as my backup/device I let friends plug into, but I think the upcoming Fractal floor unit with a few amp models in it might better suit my needs.

Yes. But, they're under Yamaha now. Not throw away products. The DG Stomp I had was great. I'll bet it's still rocking.

I would have never sold my Variax Nylon 300, had it not been for the electronics. Let's hope that has improved. (I received more compliments at gigs with that guitar with my nice concert classical. It was great for live use, except for the unreliable electronics.)

Yes. But, they're under Yamaha now. Not throw away products. The DG Stomp I had was great. I'll bet it's still rocking.
The DG Stomp was indeed so great that I think it could have been useful to me some times these last years, since I sold it :)

I'm curious to see how it sounds. I'm curious to see how it performs with third party IRs, which is a pretty hefty chunk of the sound quality dilemma when it comes to their products before. I'm interested to hear different tones free of effects. It looks like it can be used into a power amp as well, so there must be the ability to turn off power amp modeling. Finally, it looks like it will be released with a software editor, which means a studio person would be able to get the rack version and skip over the floorboard.

But mostly... I'm interested in why the marketing seems like a tempest in a teacup. It's supposed to be available in roughly two months. If I were releasing a ground-breaking flagship in the product line I'd be doing a whole lot more to release some convincing recordings in different styles. Then again, maybe it's just a bit early and they're trying to build it up.

Either way, since the demos don't seem to really highlight realistic use of the unit (dry guitars in recordings, using non-Variax guitars with third party impulses, etc.) we really won't know what's up yet. Interested though!

you guys spend way to much time looking at UI'S I care not what it looks like! but the sound, I am glad to have lived in the 80's

UI means much more than what it looks like. It's the interface between the user and the sounds. If a different UI allows the user to dial in a better sound, than in my opinion it's a better user interface.

Yes, the UI is lovely, at least for close-in work. It remains to be seen how well it flies when it's six feet below you on the floor.

I like how they put effort into letting you reach all the parameters with a minimum of steps, though they have an advantage there--far fewer deep parameters.

Don't get me wrong, I can see a lot of hard work, and a good controller interface situation (in my uneducated opinon) but until someone points out how they are figuring out how to create a variety of authentic (keyword: authentic - in the authentic sense) guitar-to-amp signal sensitivity flows, I will assume they are a century behind the Axe FX II in this respect.

Or am just a product loyalty sheeple?

The thing is that they have a new way to model the amps that will make the amps behave in the same matter as the amps from the Axe FX, they are now supporting up to 4 IR and amps simultaneously and have a very solid, beautiful and easy to use interface, IMO they will be selling this product very successfully.

Back
Top Bottom