1500 bucks, you say, Line6?

that Glen Dulane vid of the tones for the HD is awful....those tones aren't anywhere near any iteration of the Axe.

Don't know what u talkin bout, I had axe standard, glen is making that pod sound almost as good as the facory presets in the axe standard. Dont know how u cant hear that

funny how most people like his tone on this masters of metal demo video of the line 6 if it's so awful

https://youtu.be/v-XIlcxSYb8

I had a axe standard, this is close to how the factory presets were on the axe standard.

axe fx has come a long ways, that's why I plan to get another. back then the tone wasn't as great unless you did A LOT of tweaking, apparently these days the tone is there without much tweaking.

Don't know what u talkin bout, I had axe standard, glen is making that pod sound almost as good as the facory presets in the axe standard. Dont know how u cant hear that

so you are comparing presets customized by a player for his rig and playing style vs factory presets on a unit?

yeah they would be around though not common i guess, however he is using the x3, i had one of those, worst thing id ever bought, constantly broke, buggy firmware that would over right patches when changing, crappy software, just about impossible to dial in

I'm guessing he at least isn't using the x3 anymore

[edit]
And that is a line 6 channel video

so you are comparing presets customized by a player for his rig and playing style vs factory presets on a unit?

Yes, and the POD cost $500 vs the $1500 axe standard... Point is if the Pod500 can be tweaked to sound almost as good as the factory presets on a axe standard then you better believe the Helix can probably be tweaked to sound close to a Axe 2. Especially with the IR, as Cliff said most tone comes from what IR you use.

I like the classy response by Cliff.

I had a Vetta back-in-the-day. It was expensive but there was *nothing* that could touch it at the time. I don't play out anymore and I sometimes go weeks and weeks where I don't play. I love the Axe but I can't justify spending $2000 on a recording/noodling tool. I will buy an AX8 if the price is right and I strongly suspect it will be.

I owned a Vetta 2 head for 6 months. It spent more time in repair then in my own hands. I know that I am probably a minority with this product but, never again. At least with this company, I have something that it isn't discontinued after it is released.

I think what most people are failing to realize in this thread is this... If you don't HAVE to have the very best of the best and your budget is $1,500 you are going to get the Helix.
If you want the very best, even if it's only 10% better but cost almost twice as much, then you are going to buy the Axe Fx XL.

Hardcore people about Tone will stick with Fractal.... the majority of people that play a guitar will stick with Line 6 because most people can't afford Fractals prices or justify it if they don't even make a living from performing. There's far more hobby guitarists than there are pro ones that do it for a living, and that's why Line 6 will always have the biggest market. And that's also why Line 6 prices the way they do.

Yes, and the POD cost $500 vs the $1500 axe standard... Point is if the Pod500 can be tweaked to sound almost as good as the factory presets on a axe standard then you better believe the Helix can probably be tweaked to sound close to a Axe 2. Especially with the IR, as Cliff said most tone comes from what IR you use.

I don't know what statement you are referring too but i suspect its out of context. The ir can drastically change the frequency response of the tone, but the amp characteristics tend to remain when flipping through ir's

Comparing someones recording to ones perception of factory preset is pretty..unscientific.

I do suspect this helix will be good, but were gonna just have to see. Ive been excited about it but ive also got back behind my axf2 in the last couple days and marveled about what i was feeling and hearing..

I don't care why anyone on THIS forum bought the AXE, yall already have the AXE. The HELIX is not for yall. YOu already have a modeler. My point is Helix will succeed because it's going to be so close to the Axe FX standard in terms of tone, and has it all in one for 2 grand less than fractal & mfc.

And MOST people don't give a crap about having 200 amps, most end up only using a Fender for cleans & a Marshall for dirt.

So as long as Helix can do those two tones.

I'm buying a Axe Fx XL next month, mostly because of 2 videos that MARK DAY did.

I already know how to use Fractal for the most part, well I knew how to use the standard, XL don't look too much more hard.

And I already know XL gets all the tone I want.

All I give a crap about is getting SRV tone like Tyler on here gets and EVH tone like Mark Day got on Somebody Get Me A doctor.

That;s whats selling the Axe to me, none of the other BS.

My point is, if I had not had a Axe Fx already when it first came out, and had it not been for hearing Mark Day & Tyler, I most likely would be happy to get that Helix and save 2 grand.

My point being, there's going to be a TON of people that's NEVER heard of this Fractal forum that will buy the Helix.

I hope Line 6 rakes in the money too, because apparently at least they were nice enough to include a Klon Centaur.

Im bought axefx2 for only 3 or 5 amps modeller .( tone for me) Honest, the rest is bonus for me, but if you Are covering artist band , all those amps Are really needed

And if you have run studio music business, axefx2 is An easy investment

If it Didnt fit you with all the stuff , maybe axefx2 isnt suit for your need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
How can people freak this much over a product that we have never heard?
1 demo is out which could have been altered to hell, and noone have any idea how this unit even sound.

'Xactly. Nobody 's heard it yet.

Yes, it doesn't have the HP's and runs 4 amps at once and not much else, DSP permitting, so it can't be as accurate as a Fractal. But it might just be "good enough", Usually I'm glad if I can hear enough of myself to not play in the wrong key. Hardly ever do I get to hear any intricacies of my tone. I have exactly 1 patch in my list that uses more than 1 amp. Pretty sure I won't be using 4 amps at once so plenty of room for effects. I used to run dual amps presets on the Vetta, though (which never broke down, BTW) but I desperately tried to convince myself it sounded awesome and it never really did and it needed two amps to get as far as it did... Also had a POD2. Have not been able to get a halfway decent direct tone out of it.

Just last sunday I was looking at my rig and thinking how much easier and more compact and faster setup and less trips and lighter it would be if the rack unit just... Wasn't there. Everything on the floor. But there wasn't any palatable product out there, except maybe the red thing. That thing doesn't have enough switches for my live wishes. The AX8 isn't out yet and won't be in time for some travelling we're going to do and doesn't have the LCD's on the buttons my Liquid Foot has spoiled me with.

Lo and behold...

I hate to be unfaithful to Cliff, but still... I'm considering.

Last edited:
Please ignore this message if i'm getting lost...
Why compare the helix with the axefx since it's not the same use/power ?
The floor helix is to be compared to the future afx floor and the rack helix seems to be a cheaper choice not a 1:1 alternative.
I've been a little curious but since I'm a new xl+ owner I plan on spending years to master my unit without considering any other ^^

Please ignore this message if i'm getting lost...
Why compare the helix with the axefx since it's not the same use/power ?
The floor helix is to be compared to the future afx floor and the rack helix seems to be a cheaper choice not a 1:1 alternative.
I've been a little curious but since I'm a new xl+ owner I plan on spending years to master my unit without considering any other ^^
Because they both serve the same purpose. For me.

Bottom line: they both are supposed to get my guitar playing into the PA-system and mangle it so it comes out the way I want.

And they might both be doing a good enough job at it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom