1500 bucks, you say, Line6?

No way. Just because a plug fits doesn't mean it will work. Power is probably on different pins so you'll guaranteed blow something up. It probably also communicates on a completely different SysEx language, so neither will communicate with the other.
True. That's why I said "might" ;-)

Also, I noticed the Sweetwater page says yes to reamping. And it's an 8x8 interface as well...

holy crap.

isn't a helix related to fractals?

this looks like a pre-emptive strike on the AX8 to be honest. color LCD, screens on each switch. rack version with foot controller as well. i like the mic pre, if it indeed can handle a mic for vocals and some separate processing.

line 6 has always been good at those bells and whistles, and honestly those things win over customers time and time again. i side-by-side compared my axe with someone's hd500 thing and they agreed that mine sounded so much better. but theirs had bluetooth for the iPad, so they like theirs way better than mine.

:)

Good thing is this is nothing like the HD500 at all and to be honest its a killer product for 1,499 bucks, all those options and 4 AMPS at once and 4 HD IRs at onces!!, never before seen on a product IIRC.

Line6 sure had a goal in mind, to set a new benchmark product in that pricepoint!, well done in my book.

Active development on Helix started long before anyone had heard of AX8, FX8, the KPA, or even HD500X. Initial conversations began in October of 2008, although things didn't really start ramping up until 2011.

So it's not Line 6's answer to Cliff's (fantastic) boxes, although if we're being honest, Yamaha may not have let us continue developing something so ambitious had AxeFx not been successful. So major props to you all. :)

There's plenty of music to be made by everyone, and we have at least two employees who plan on using Helix and AxeFX together.

I have been burnt by line6 before when my last pedal fx unit had an intermittent power issue under warranty and it could not be fixed. i agree that line6 are good with their ideas but totally s..t with their after sales product support. after that i bought the axe fx and never looked back. Fractal all the way for me.

I really hope the $1500 sticker price translates to $999 at big box retailers, otherwise the price for the upcoming AX8 will justifiably soar over $2000

Active development on Helix started long before anyone had heard of AX8, FX8, the KPA, or even HD500X. Initial conversations began in October of 2008, although things didn't really start ramping up until 2011.

So it's not Line 6's answer to Cliff's (fantastic) boxes, although if we're being honest, Yamaha may not have let us continue developing something so ambitious had AxeFx not been successful. So major props to you all. :)

There's plenty of music to be made by everyone, and we have at least two employees who plan on using Helix and AxeFX together.

Agreed on all points :) though it admittedly does incorporate features from recent devices (RJM, Liquid foot, FAS, etc), which is smart though.

Yes let's make the music. I would love to figure out how to make the Axe and Helix work together.

I really hope the $1500 sticker price translates to $999 at big box retailers, otherwise the price for the upcoming AX8 will justifiably soar over $2000

Sale price is 1499, so that's the price. Line 6 is usually an A-mark, so retail is most likely $2139 or so.

Line 6 should have made the Helix Foot controller to also function as a midi controller because it has those great labels ala RJM. I don't think it will do that currently. Could be a whole 'nother market for them.

Yeah, Now I noticed Sweetwater's price. This worries me as I wanted to get into an AX8 at around $1500, now I know it ain't gonna happen :(

The only thing we know for sure is that Cliff said it would be drastically cheaper. It's well within the realm of possibility that it will be around $1500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good for them! Competition is never a bad thing for the consumer.

Never understood the L6 hate around here. Advances in technology are *always* a good thing, regardless where it comes from. It lights fires under asses.

Might see if my buddy can get me one to try out for a week or two. I love my AFX, but I'm not so closed minded as to dismiss a competitors product blindly.

For the record, I don't drink anyone's koolaid. That said, I've sipped on a cup of Fractal-aid, and won't ever part with my beloved little black box. That doesn't mean I won't have other tech in the stable at the same time. My AFX is in a rack sitting right next to my L6 Vetta II 2x12, and right above the rack that houses my hot rodded POD Pro XT, and I switch between them all when the need arises.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom