1500 bucks, you say, Line6?

@Soon
If you're looking for authentic SRV tone live (You could always re-amp for a studio tone) then according to this article you will need several things, but the two that might apply to you are:
1. Multiple AFXs replicate the many combinations of amps that SRV used simultaneously, plus an incredibly good ear to figure out which combo he used in the studio or live or whatever you're trying to match.
OR
2. More practice as the article mentions anecdotal evidence of Stevie sounding like Stevie when using other player's rigs.

It's a pretty product. Ticks a lot of boxes.

The AX-8 will not compete with the UI or feature set. It's not intended to. When I designed the AX-8 I designed a product based on my 25 years playing as a pro and what I used 99% of the time during a gig. Even with the Axe-Fx II 99% of the time I dial up an amp, a cab and a few effects. What I care about most is a great tone. The Axe-Fx amp modeling algorithms are the best in the world. I wanted to design something portable and affordable enough to get those algorithms into the hands of a lot more players.

Kudos to Line6 on an attractive, feature-packed product. They're a good company and I have a lot of respect for their business ethics (which is something I can't say about many other players in this product space).

And kudos to you for expressing your respect - that makes me respect you a whole lot more.

The thing you are describing here - that is the way I used even L6 and my Boss GT10 - I had one patch with delay and a overdrive pedal, maybe some tremolo, wah, and that was it - I used a volume knob on my guitar a lot even though I know everyone is saying that it just wasn´t the same as with the tube amp - I never really used a tube amp so I didn´t know :).

Even now with the AXEII I am using one patch and most of the time I use one scene where I either switch between clean and overdriven amp or sometimes I just stay on the overdriven amp and use my volume knob a lot - add firmware 19 drive pedals and it is the same thing I used before AXE FX - just a whole lot wider feel or dynamic response.

AX8 apparently will do that and more and it is all-in-one solution - which makes it VERY attractive IMO.

@Soon
If you're looking for authentic SRV tone live (You could always re-amp for a studio tone) then according to this article you will need several things, but the two that might apply to you are:
1. Multiple AFXs replicate the many combinations of amps that SRV used simultaneously, plus an incredibly good ear to figure out which combo he used in the studio or live or whatever you're trying to match.
OR
2. More practice as the article mentions anecdotal evidence of Stevie sounding like Stevie when using other player's rigs.

Thanks man.
But I don't think I will have a problem getting SRV tone from the Axe... I just want the Klon to do a BETTER version of SRV tone.

What is that guys name on here? Dojo Tyler? Tyler something.... THAT guy nailed SRV Tone 100000000000000000000000000000000000000% actually he even sounded BETTER than SRV!

It's insulting that he does not care about the people that would like to have the Klon.
You're reading into that. Check out the Wish List. It's loaded with stuff people want, and it'll be years before Fractal can get to it all. That's not an insult to any of the people who still have wishes waiting in the wings—and most of them asked way before you did.

The only thing we can say for certain is that it's not a top priority today.

have you played a klon ? I have once. it was a silver but still a klon .and it really wasnt anything that special. nice clean boost and all but thats about it.IMHO its really not needed to be moddeled . most people just use it as a buffer anyway

Sorry but that's a load of BS. I have yet to encounter someone that uses the Klon as just a buffer. It may not rock your world but it is one of the most highly sought after pedals for a reason. A lot of us happen to *really* like what the Klon does.

You're reading into that. Check out the Wish List. It's loaded with stuff people want, and it'll be years before Fractal can get to it all. That's not an insult to any of the people who still have wishes waiting in the wings—and most of them asked way before you did.

The only thing we can say for certain is that it's not a top priority today.

I made a special thread in the wish list section just for the Klon.

Sorry but that's a load of BS. I have yet to encounter someone that uses the Klon as just a buffer. It may not rock your world but it is one of the most highly sought after pedals for a reason. A lot of us happen to *really* like what the Klon does.

Dude sign my petition for a Klon on the wish list section.
I've been a Klon follower since it first came out about what ten years or so ago. Some people just don't "get it" like you and I do.

take OD808 block .
reduce mid hump with controls .
give it some extra output
add some top end presence with controls

save as global block and call it Klon and win

Thanks for the advice. I will try that next month when I order the XL.
I read something similar to that in another post somewhere on here as well.

But the thing to me is, it'd be nice to get Cliff to make that if that's all there is to making it, he could put it in the next FW easy. I think it's good and reassuring to have Cliffs seal of approval on a preset or drive pedal, that to me means it should be as close as it can possibly get with present technology of the Fractal.

Yes. The reason is the internet decided it was the holy grail of pedals. When it came out I used to read people trashing it cause it wasn't true bypass and was buffered then people decided true bypass wasn't that important after all.

To me if a pedal is set to unity gain and is adding no dirt or tone its pretty much can acting as a buffer. IMHO of course.

About the Klon and FAS and my assumptions about their modeling process:

First, FAS would have to find a Klon that they deemed "modeling worthy". Second, they'd have to be able to procure that Klon. They don't seem to go up for sale that often and people that own them might not want to loan it out to be anally probed by the FAS team.

Edit: Also, the circuit might not be considered novel enough compared to already modeled circuits to merit being moved up the priority list.

Double Edit: We've drastically veered off topic.

Wow. I just did a quick Ebay search for gold klon, there's about ten up for sale now all listed betweem 2,000 to 3,000! The price has went WAY up since last time I looked a few years back.

I know original TS were going for 500 to 800 at one time as well.

But this just goes to show how special these Klons are.

Yeah, I stand corrected Soon. My broader point was that there are many reasons why a Klon has not been modeled and also that the thread has veered off topic.

Well it's not totally off topic, because the Helix does have a pedal called Minotaur which I assume is a Klon Centaur so...

@stupid with money... a lot of people think buying a XL for $2500 is being stupid, especially how great that guys video above I posted shows how great even a $500 POD sounds if tweaked right. It's quite subjective.

Yeah, I stand corrected Soon. My broader point was that there are many reasons why a Klon has not been modeled and also that the thread has veered off topic.

I gotcha man.

Well I guess there's not a whole lot more left to say on this thread until Line 6 or someone releases some more actual sound samples... I did watch that 15 minute sweetwater demo, those tones were better than the other demo video with the univibe effects.

The plexi on it sounded OK, but it certainly wasn't the level of quality as the AFD is on AXE FX. It didn't come close to Mark Days Marshall tone on Axe Fx.

But I think it's going to better than POD, and good enough for most people that can't afford or justify spending more than $1,500.

Agreed. I broke my 5 year vow never to utter the K word in a gear forum again. Oh well back to day one.

Back
Top Bottom