1500 bucks, you say, Line6?

I was impressed, just watched the sweetwater video. The tone is a definite step up. Not enough to consider it over the AX8 though. But it's a 8x8 interface... thats awesome.

1. Man that was a very long comment by someone...
2. The Helix looks too pretty for my feet to step on,
3. But it sure does look nice.

I don't have/never had an Axe or the HD line yet. The last multifx/modeller I've had were GSP1101 and a GT10 which were decent. I guess I'll hold a little longer until reviews for the Helix are out. This might be worth considering.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

And... Cliff must be laughing Reading all of this pages. Cliff can you shed A light for us, after helix comes out to market , What would you do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cliff probably won't say much about the Helix publicly, it was a long time before he talked much about Kemper.
But I am sure Cliff will be one of the first people to buy the Helix. He will want to know all about his competition.

My two cents about FX8 vs HELIX... on FX8 someone reach DSP limit with only 8 fx and on HELIX they're talkin' about 30 fx together: for me this says enough about HELIX FX's quality.

But the question would be are those 8 fx higher quality than the 30fx? I'd rather have less if it means having higher quality.

One thing Fractal needs to fix though is they need to do whatever needs to be done so that people can run whatever they choose to run without it maxing out the cpu. That;s a huge issue, because what's the point of having such high quality stuff in the Fractal if it can't all be used at once???

I read on here all the time where users are having to compromise their tone, where they can't run the highest quality reverbs, and have 2 ultra res IR's and cabs etc all together without it maxing out.

I read a lot on here where someone talks about building a patch but they use a lower quality effect or whatever to try and keep the CPU usage down.

At $2,500 a unit, people should be able to mix and match any combination without any worry of maxing out the CPU.

My two cents about FX8 vs HELIX... on FX8 someone reach DSP limit with only 8 fx and on HELIX they're talkin' about 30 fx together: for me this says enough about HELIX FX's quality.

Or not... Maybe the fx are tiny no-cpu-requiring fx...

This thread has already gotten more views than any other thread in this part of the forum. Business is about to be good for Line 6. I'm glad to see them stepping into the high end market, this is a first for Line 6.

I think the "I'm just going to leave this here" thread in the main axe 2 forum has the highest view count in the forum as a whole, at about 80,000 views... I am predicting this Line 6 thread tops that soon.

I would say that Cliff probably wasn't expecting this from Line 6.

I certainly wasn't ever expecting Line 6 to get into the higher end stuff.

I honestly think Cliff has to be at least a little concerned about Line 6, because now he has Line 6 and Kemper to compete with, who's going to jump on the high end bandwagon next??? I'm sure more companies will follow.

Last edited:
A quick video and a $1500 retail price does not equal high end market lol.

Yes & No. It looks like it's got all the functions of being Fractal worthy...

But we don't know how the tones are yet.

That video did not impress me at all, I've heard better tones with the POD500

examples

https://youtu.be/3uliqqgaQ4Y

Watch that video THAT guy is THE Mark Day of the POD 500!!!

Now those tones are of course not as good as Fractal, but they are DAMN close for $500 pod 500!!!!

Listen to what that guy is doing in that video, before you bash POD Line 6, just listen to what that guy does with it.

I think it's pretty impressive considering it's only a POD 500!

I happen to really love my AxeFX. It has been great for my playing, sounds better than anything I have ever used previously, and makes gigging / recording even more enjoyable. It seems to me that any piece of equipment that makes us feel that way is a good thing. If the Line6 Helix gets great sounds into the hands of more players, how can that be anything other than good? I'll probably check one out, as it might be a good "small board" rig for fly dates - I currently use a Line6 M9 for that purpose, and while it's not the AxeFX, it's still a useful tool.

I drive a Toyota. It doesn't mean I hate Hondas (or any other type of car). It means I chose a Toyota because that particular vehicle was best suited for me at the price point I was willing to pay.

At the end of the day, I ask myself (1) am I happily sharing my life with those around me, (2) am I living a good and responsible life, and helping others wherever possible to enjoy the same (3) am I making music for my own enjoyment, and sharing it with other who may also enjoy it (4) does the light inside the fridge *really* go off when I close the door.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go put the wireless webcam in the fridge.

people should be able to mix and match any combination without any worry of maxing out the CPU.

Yes! (but this is another problem).
I'm pretty sure FX8's fx are better than HELIX (LINE6 says reverbs are from HD500! I have HD500 and have Eventide ECLIPSE too: reverbs from FAS are similar to ECLIPSE, certainly not to HD500)

Line 6 is good at relabelling. Nothing new here except for some cool "bells and whistles. Ive had my hands in some design work prior to Yamaha . They are great at ease of use and interfacing but that's about it. What we have is a 600-700 dollar product. Nothing new in regards to "sound"
It's all perception with the device. At 1500 it's gotta be a pro product right?

Seriously? I thought this unit was a complete redesign, amp modeling etc....Not sure how this is just a "600-700 dollar product".

Perhaps you can expand on this a bit.

Man, this thread is still giving! I kinda feel like I'm discussing religion or politics in a bar, but it's Sunday and there's no football on.

There seems to be a common sentiment that L6 is playing at FAS' level for the first time. I'd counter argue that the two companies are actually meeting in a new middle ground. Although, it should also be noted that a lot of credit should be given to L6 for popularizing digital modelers in the first place.

Prior to this, L6 engineers were forced to accomplish everything that the AFX could do with a single top of the line SHARC DSP, both amp and effects modeling while FAS always had TigerSHARC DSPs. Now FAS has entered the single SHARC DSP pedal market with the FX8, but effects only.

Soon the two companies are going to collide in the all in one pedal market with the Helix and AX8 both sharing two SHARC DSPs. On one side we have FAS with its well known and loved pedigree of high quality sounds and responsive support. On the other side we have L6's arguably less stellar pedigree in more recent years.

@AlGrenadine "Or not... Maybe the fx are tiny no-cpu-requiring fx..."
That's the $1499 question, or less if you can find a deal. The DSP headroom is there, let's see what they do with it.

Another sentiment that keeps on going around is "Man, this sure is a good time to be a guitarist!". I'd agree wholeheartedly.

Or not... Maybe the fx are tiny no-cpu-requiring fx...
I think that's exactly what silk meant, that you can use so many because the algos are not very deep, and thus not likely to be of significant quality.

Also keep in mind that one of the helix's dsp chips is dedicated to THE USER INTERFACE.

Back
Top Bottom