15" FRFR solution? worth it?

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
I know most people use 12" solotions - or less. BUT:

I tried an RCF 522 and it ws really nice. I though better than the HPR 122i. I also have been told that the QSC K12 is very good - unless I can stretch to the RCF 722. Problem is the 722 is nearly £1000 !!! the K12 is £750. Much better. The 522 I tried (and those few Ive seen still on sale) are roughly the same price as the 7s at £970.

The 722 (well 7 series complete) is a replacement for the 5 series. Just a few monor tweeks I think.

Well - I have a chance of a 525. 15" driver and teh same 2" compression driver on the 522 and 722. At only £350 !!! Its used but in as new condition.

So will the 15" be too bassy? or does it not matter too much with a flat response?

I have 2 days to decide - so help is appreciated. QUICK

I'm not a speaker expert, but it's been discussed several times before, and the knowledgeable folks indicated that a 15" driver is *not* the best solution for guitar, and that a 12" driver is much more applicable. Jay Mitchell can elaborate, I'm sure.

Daniel

paulmapp8306 said:
So will the 15" be too bassy?

Bass response is not the problem.

In general 15" speakers will be lacking in the midrange in comparison to a smaller speaker and the crossover to the compression driver/horn will be less smooth.
How exactly this turns out with the 525 in your specific circumstances and for your preferences only you can decide.
It is very likely the 12" will perform better.

S.R.

On the other hand, a very good 2" compression driver could be crossed over below 1k, avoiding the beaming that a 12" driver starts to deliver around 1k, but I do think 15" driver doesn't add much compared to a 12" driver.

What I like to imagine is a 12" driver with a coaxially mounted 2" compression driver crossed over in the 800-1200hz range that delivers a dynamic response free from beaming, harshness and distortion.

Back
Top Bottom