125HZ Peak Problem

I have tried recording in another room but nothing changed..

I have added a multiband compressor at the end of the signal chain and set it to 140Hz to control the problem frequency, the graphic changed a lot but the track was still a little boomy, so i have to add a post eq on the daw like this

Ekran Resmi 2015-01-01 23.03.56.jpg...

I wonder, does everyone have treated rooms? This problem is so big that i can be able to fix it with a multiband compressor on the signal chain of axe and a post eq on the daw...I am not sure but started thinking if my axe could have a problem??

I have tried recording in another room but nothing changed..

I have added a multiband compressor at the end of the signal chain and set it to 140Hz to control the problem frequency, the graphic changed a lot but the track was still a little boomy, so i have to add a post eq on the daw like this

View attachment 24294...

In my opinion, low passing should be done before multiband compression. If your DAW has a multiband compressor plugin, I'd use that over the one in the Axe-Fx.

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, but start with your high-pass filter set anywhere between 60Hz and 140Hz. You'll start your guitars off right by getting rid of the messy and useless frequencies first.

Looking at your linear phase eq picture is quite shocking. If you're having to pull over 20db out at multiple spots in the lows and low-mids, that's a big red flag. There are many non-linear peaks in the low to low-mid region on guitars, so you have to be careful not to get to crazy with the eq bands which in turn will neuter your guitars and cause phase shift insanity.

This is where multiband compression comes in handy. Again, use your DAW's version because it should give you greater control. Set it up to only compress the 70Hz to 250Hz range, or somewhere about in that ballpark. Use your ears. Don't thin out your guitars too much, but let too much through to where you're stomping all over the bass guitar.

Final words though, get your guitars sounding good at the source first and foremost. Get your midrange nice and balanced first, since this is where guitars live. Next get your low-end balanced. Also, no matter how much room treatment you have or what IR you use, there is always going to spikes in the low-end that jump out and cause that bass/guitar crossover area to be troublesome.

The thing with guitars is to remember that they don't take processing very well. Get where you need to go with them in the shortest steps as possible. Do more with less.

Reactions: Rex
125Hz is pretty much a B2 (123.5Hz actually), not an A2. It sounds to me like your problem is more 110Hz (which is an A2, as discussed in the thread). I say this because if you start pulling something out at 125Hz, and you play any type of heavy music in E, you'll be sucking some of the guts out of everything - the B is the dominant of E, and the strongest harmonic overtone. You'll be gutting (a bit) from your tonic, your dominant, and your third.

CHSTD, I threw a quick preset together for you to try out. As I've said in my previous post, I'd recommend using your DAW's eq and multicompressor because you can be more precise and have more control. However, here's the Axe-Fx doing it.

Attachments

• PEQ and MultiCp Preset.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 13
CHSTD, I threw a quick preset together for you to try out. As I've said in my previous post, I'd recommend using your DAW's eq and multicompressor because you can be more precise and have more control. However, here's the Axe-Fx doing it.

Thanks a lot, i will try it after work and will write here.

Tamin the resonance in the room is a good idea in general.
But don't be afraid of cutting lows in one of the 100+ ways you can with the Axe. A serious cut!!
One common error playing the guitar alone is trying to get that BIG BIG guitar sound we ear from the records, while the single guitar track is actually very thin and less distorted you can think.
The overall sound you ear from the records is the sum of many guitar tracks doubling the guitar part and the perfect sync with the transients attack of basses, kick drums, snares, cymbals etc...
Your brain setting must be: less is the best!

My 50cents

That's the screen shot of your preset when i play 'A' palm mute..The only thing i have done is increasing the amp block Level(not master volume, the level on mixer of the block) to '0db'
Screenshot.jpg

It sounds good, and also most of my presets sounds ok if i play in my room but when it comes to recording, the low frequencies are as it seems in the picture above...Even it has a multiband comp.I imagined like if i add a multicompressor, the low frequencies will drop really down compare to the other ones..Am i wrong or if you look at the picture, could my system be wrong??

That's the screen shot of your preset when i play 'A' palm mute..The only thing i have done is increasing the amp block Level(not master volume, the level on mixer of the block) to '0db'
View attachment 24298
Thanks for posting the picture. I would say based on the picture, you should lower the threshold on the Axe-Fx multiband compressor until you see that peak start to go down. I set it based on my guitar, so you will need to tweak the multiband compressor.

I would also second merlin17's post. Don't obsess too much over the analyzer. If when playing the bass and guitar together and you hear a buildup in that frequency and then confirm it with the analyzer, then I would be worried. If it still seems like you're having an issue with the 125Hz range on the guitars, I would look at using an eq plugin before the multiband compressor (this can be the same eq that you used to high-pass and low-pass). Take a frequency band with a Q of about 2.5 and boost it really high and sweep it around that low to low-mid range. When you come to the spot that really jumps out at you, then you know where to make your cut at. Try to balance your eq cut with your multiband compressor threshold. Again, just be careful not to suck too much life out of your guitar. I'd look at subtracting an eq cut in the low-mid range no more than around -5 dB.

Thanks a lot for replies..Maybe i have watched the graphic too much and obsessed about the measurements.I will take a break and retry recording and mixing by listening without watching the graphic.

I put a multiband compressor into my axe fx patch to tame palm mutes. Mines at 125hz, all other bands are not doing anything. Dynamic depth helped too when I lowered it a smidge.

Back
Top Bottom