120-230V power conditoner

Rhiza

Inspired
Hi guys, I am looking for a power conditioner. I know of many horror stories of people frying up their equipment due to slacky/unstable voltage outputs.
I have one problem though, I can only find power conditioners that are 120 OR 230. and it can't run on both voltages.
Are there any power conditioners that can take 120 AND 230 volts?
I'm just thinkin in the long run. Traveling around the world and having two power conditioners, one for 120 and one for 230 is stupid!
much easier if I had one that worked in all contries.
Either way I had a look at the furman power conditioners, maybe I have to buy one (23) for now and if I tour I'll buy another one for 120 :p

This would be a bulky device. You're not talking about a simple DC transformer here, the voltage regulators need to be tuned to handle not just a specific voltage but also the AC frequency (which is 60Hz for 120V and 50Hz for 240V). You'd effectively need to build two distinct power conditioners and then stick them into a single case. You might as well just buy one for each voltage to begin with.

Last edited:
I though that some companies built them since I've seen gear like AD/DA converters that can run from 120 to 240 volts and no need to change the "voltage input". Just plug and play.
But I'll take your advice and just buy the 240 volt version for now, If I ever play in countries that have different voltages, then I'll buy a 120 volt version to take with me on the road :p

I though that some companies built them since I've seen gear like AD/DA converters that can run from 120 to 240 volts and no need to change the "voltage input". Just plug and play.
But I'll take your advice and just buy the 240 volt version for now, If I ever play in countries that have different voltages, then I'll buy a 120 volt version to take with me on the road :p

Most completely electronic devices (laptops, digital audio devices, etc) run on DC (direct current) internally, so the power conversion is very simple (mainly because there is no frequency in DC). Hence most of these devices get sold with a universal power supply that can accept either 120/240V.

Things that have motors (tape machines, hair dryers, etc) or valves (tube amps) use AC internally, so the frequency of the AC becomes critical. Brian May of Queen used to insist on bringing a 240V/50Hz AC generator with him when Queen toured the US, because even with voltage transformers his Vox AC30's didn't sound the same to him.

Hi guys, I am looking for a power conditioner. I know of many horror stories of people frying up their equipment due to slacky/unstable voltage outputs.
I have one problem though, I can only find power conditioners that are 120 OR 230. and it can't run on both voltages.
Are there any power conditioners that can take 120 AND 230 volts?
I'm just thinkin in the long run. Traveling around the world and having two power conditioners, one for 120 and one for 230 is stupid!
much easier if I had one that worked in all contries.
Either way I had a look at the furman power conditioners, maybe I have to buy one (23) for now and if I tour I'll buy another one for 120 :p
furman is the way to go, but it's pricy:
FurmanSound.com - Pro A/V Product - P-3600 AR G

this is the update version of the ar pro (john petrucci uses one, among others). it's meant for global use.
FurmanSound.com - Pro A/V Product - AR-PRO

one on ebay right now: Furman Ar-Pro new ! | eBay

Back
Top Bottom