12 String Patch - it takes a village

plyall

Power User
Folks -

I have been wanting a 12 string patch similar to that which I programmed in my old Digitech 2101. I started fresh on the Axe FX II and came up with something that's a pretty good start.

Essentially what I did was split the output of the amp to two crossovers. The first crossover/pitch/vol manages the high strings, and simply performs a pitch detune for richness. The second crossover/pitch/vol shifts the lower strings up by 12 steps. You can muck with balancing the two by adjusting the two VOL blocks after the pitch shifters.

Also - the crossovers are both set around 700 hertz. Changing this value must be done to both crossovers to work. Adjusting the frequency here will determine which sounds/strings get processed by the upper chain (detune), and the lower chain (pitch shift).

The graphic EQ was inserted to tame the lows (woofy) and accentuate a bit of the highs. The chorus was added for color. I added a smallish plate reverb to round things out.

So - what did I mean by it takes a village? Like I said, my patch is a good start, but certainly not the best it could be. I would like to ask my Axe-FX II brothers (and sister) to have a gander at it and see what improvements can be made. Current shortcomings:

• Pitch Shift - Both of them could use some tweaking. I also need to find a way to get away from the occasional pitch shifting 'fart'. There is also a bit too much delay in the lower strings.
  • EQ - Obviously as other elements and tweaks are made, this will likely need to be re-EQ'd.
  • Crossovers - The frequencies may not be optimal. I took a stab at the frequencies - if high E is 330 hertz, then I figured I could catch the 1st and 2nd harmonic by using a frequency of about 700 hertz. This can/should be tweaked as well. Better filtering may help the pitch shifters.

So what I am asking for, and something I view as a good community project, is to use my patch (or your own!) as a baseline, and make it better/great. I know there's a lot of GREAT patch-heads out there, so please throw in your $0.02 and let's see if we can make this patch gig-worthy.

Thanks for any/all help, and as always, comments are welcome (I actually hope for them).

Thanks and make a mess!

Pete

View attachment 12133

Okay - so I decided to take some of my own medicine. This version of the patch has:

- Better tracking
- A multiband compressor to smooth things out and manage the tonal balance
- A filter at the beginning to get rid of the extremely low frequencies
- A mixer to help with the tonal balance
- A pass-thru feed of dry guitar into the mix (to reinforce the bottom mostly)

Pete
View attachment 12136

Okay, I am new to all of this. Hope you are still engaged. I have loaded FW17. How do I get patches and where do I put them? I clicked on the attachment 12133 and got nothing. Do I need to register or get a specific app to grab and open these things. I do have Axe Edit loaded up and am beginning to work with it. Thanks Pete. Mark Brooker, Houston, TX

Okay, I am new to all of this. Hope you are still engaged. I have loaded FW17. How do I get patches and where do I put them? I clicked on the attachment 12133 and got nothing. Do I need to register or get a specific app to grab and open these things. I do have Axe Edit loaded up and am beginning to work with it. Thanks Pete. Mark Brooker, Houston, TX

It's not you, it's the attachment I believe. Go to axe exchange. Registration is free. sort by what you want , ex: axefxII, or XL, etc. FRactal main page will get you there. It's been a while. Lots of good stuff

Okay - so I decided to take some of my own medicine. This version of the patch has:

- Better tracking
- A multiband compressor to smooth things out and manage the tonal balance
- A filter at the beginning to get rid of the extremely low frequencies
- A mixer to help with the tonal balance
- A pass-thru feed of dry guitar into the mix (to reinforce the bottom mostly)

Pete
View attachment 12136

Please post your preset on the exchange so that we can take a look at it. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom