12 string bass

Pretty sure this is a 12 string on this song. Dug has played 8 and 12 string basses, but
I think he has mentioned only using 4 string basses now.

Didn't Tom Peterson use one with Cheap Trick?

Haha! Ty didn't like the 12 string because it ate up his guitar tone, and Dug mentions
he gave in and stopped using it even though he loved the tone live.

"On the last two Kings X albums, and even the Poundhound album, I’ve used predominantly a four-string. The 12-string is a weird animal to play, it didn’t quite fit with some of the Kings X stuff. Ty felt that it weakened the sound of his guitar, and I finally got tired of the power struggle and gave in for the sake of the overall sound. If I write a song on the 12-string then I can work the rest of the sound around it. Like Jeff Ament did on Jeremy with Pearl Jam – the 12-string carries the whole song. Human Behaviour on “Dogman” and Faith Hope Love were both written and recorded on the 12-string. I can actually play the whole of Faith Hope Love with the harmonics and arpeggios and everything on the 12-string, I don’t even need the guitar!!"

Pretty sure this is a 12 string on this song. Dug has played 8 and 12 string basses, but
I think he has mentioned only using 4 string basses now.

Didn't Tom Peterson use one with Cheap Trick?

Wore that cd out back in the day :) I knew he had a very unique bass tone but wasn't even aware that more than 4 or 5 strings existed in that time.

Wore that cd out back in the day :) I knew he had a very unique bass tone but wasn't even aware that more than 4 or 5 strings existed in that time.

Same. :) Saw them on that tour. I believe Dug played a lot of 8 and 12 string basses live
back in those days. Until Ty had enough of it, apparently.

Dont forget Tom Peterson from Cheap Trick, he actually came up with the idea of the 12 string.

Yes. I came up with the idea of making a 12-string bass and I went to Hamer because they were the only guys that I knew. At first they didn't want to do it for me. They didn't think it was a good idea. As a compromise they made me a 10-string bass. It was set up with two E strings, two A strings, three D strings and three G strings. When I asked why they didn't just make it with twelve strings they said that the bass would never work and that I could just take off one G and one D string and have a normal 8-string bass.
After I had the bass for some time the guys from Hamer heard me play and they conceded that I was right all along and that the bass sounded great. The next challenge was to get them to make the bass with a long scale. You see, the first bass they made me was a medium scale because they were afraid of the string tension. Finally I came up with the idea for that bigger body, single cutaway Hamer that is still in production today. That bass is a long scale and it sounded great, but Hamer still said that they would make it only for me. They didn't want to sell them to the public because they were afraid that the necks would not last. They were right because the necks don't really last, but they should. The first 12-string bass they made me was great and I really haven't had one since that has worked as well.

Back
Top Bottom