12 gauge strings

I tried them on a guitar set up in C and didn't much care for them. Just too chunky and I didn't like the tension. I restrung that guitar with 11s and it's better, I don't mind playing it. But I'm thinking that I'd rather have a fan fret with 10s to down tune to C or drop B♭.

I play hybrid 9's (9-46) when playing out. I use 11's for practice. Anything I can do on 11's I can do better and with more confidence on 9's. Why hybrid 9's? Because the low strings on regular 9's feel too floppy to me.

Advantages of 9's: easier bends, easier to pay with nuance... just plain easier.

Disadvantages of 9's: its easier to drive them out of tune with hard picking or aggressive fretting. Also easier make them buzz with aggressive playing.

Advantages of 11's: more constant pitch, and less buzz, with aggressive playing. And they build you up.

Disadvantages of 11's: everything is harder to play.

Whatever you choose, give yourself a week to get accustomed to them.
Huh. I could never do that. I switched to 10's years ago, and it took me probably a month to get my bends, especially the "pre-bend/release" types, to pitch.

Huh. I could never do that. I switched to 10's years ago, and it took me probably a month to get my bends, especially the "pre-bend/release" types, to pitch.
My trick is playing 11's whenever I pick up a guitar at home. Well, most of the time, anyway. That way, 11's are my "normal." At the gig, 9's are a special treat.

Back
Top Bottom