AFIII 12.09 - Tiny But Mighty

iaresee

Administrator
That clip from @sheky that got posted the other day put small amps on my mind. There's something magical about a Princeton Reverb when you mic them up. What looks like a dimunitive amp produces this huge tone.

This quick clip uses a stereo mic'ed Princeton Reverb model with the mic's panned just a little left and right for an even bigger sound stage. Coupled with the perfect Strat that Fender was never able to build but PRS seems to have nailed and you can ride that edge-of-breakup goodness all night long.

I tried to restrain myself from mixing in too much of my favorite reverb algorithm: South Church. But I'm only human. :)

Preset is here and uses only factory IRs: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=8050 -- it should translate to the FM3 but you might have firmware feature compatibility issues.

Last edited:
Nice, Ian! Fat, round, bell-like tone, with plenty of shelter-at-home hair on it. ;)
Thank you! It's hard not to just play that intro over and over while cycling through pickup selections -- there's a huge amount of variance, all incredibly musical and useful, in an amp setup like this using just your volume knob and the pickup selector. Kind of magic, really.

Thank you! It's hard not to just play that intro over and over while cycling through pickup selections -- there's a huge amount of variance, all incredibly musical and useful, in an amp setup like this using just your volume knob and the pickup selector. Kind of magic, really.
Yeah, that variation really stands out when you switch to two pickups at 0:29. It’s like a whole ‘nother guitar.

Sounds great. We're at a sweet point. I have never played presets much, but on 12.09 (or 1.04 on FM3) I find myself doing it much more. Adjust gains and tone to suit and bam, lost in the sound. Any as noted, so much variation then comes from different pickup/gtr vol and tone combinations. It's a wonderful world here.

I discovered the Princeton last week or so, need to rediscover it it seems. So far the warmest of the clean Fenders, but the Jazz 120 remains my fave clean amp o_O

I discovered the Princeton last week or so, need to rediscover it it seems. So far the warmest of the clean Fenders, but the Jazz 120 remains my fave clean amp o_O
On my umpteenth watch of Stop Making Sense last night I realized I’ve largely ignored the Jazz 120 model. Going to explore that one next.

Does yours sound the same if you use my preset? I’ve always said PRS manufacturing variability is very, very low. Maybe I’m wrong?
It was a (admittedly oblique) reference to your superior playing. My Silver Sky is--I'd bet--every bit as well made as yours, and it's become my "go to" SC guitar.

That sounded great. Thanks for the preset. With these amps I find myself turning off the reverb at some point just to hear the amp.

I brought my strat. This preset is excellent. Thanks for sharing. I like the way the Comp is set. It's there, but not squishy.

Back
Top Bottom