12.08, not clean anymore....

andyp13

Power User
I have noticed lately that my settings all have slightly more drive to them..My clean sounds using the shiver clean are not 'clean' anymore.. I have the input usually around 12. but I now have to have the input setting on the amp at about 20-to.. and make up the loss of volume with the amp's output. I do like a bit of 'hair' on my sounds and usually use the tape drive to do this but no need for that anymore...but all the clean amps are not clean any more unless I dramatically reduce the amp input. I haven't changed anything other than update the firmware.

My cleans are still clean. I do notice more grit/dirt with headphones than going through my normal setup.

My cleans are still clean. I do notice more grit/dirt with headphones than going through my normal setup.

I can still get cleans but I have never needed to back of the input by as much as I have to lately...particularly with my PRS.

Maybe he has some unique approach to dialing in cleans that have been affected by some changes that don't involve modeling? What are your blocks?

Maybe he has some unique approach to dialing in cleans that have been affected by some changes that don't involve modeling? What are your blocks?

Input - Comp (off) - Drive (off) - Amp (shiver Clean) - Cab - Delay (slap back) - Chorus - Rev - Output.

I use Shiver Clean a lot, and it has not changed.

mine is fine, the only difference is to achieve my usual clean sound I need to back off the input level from around 12 to around twenty-to, and increase the output to make up for it... it still sounds ok I just have no idea why I have to do this...it’s not a major issue.

Are you plugging directly into the Axe or do you have something in front of it like a wireless? I recently updated the firmware on my Shure wireless and it set the output gain back to the factory default of +20dB. It took me a second to figure out why all my presets were so dirty.

There were no changes to the amp modeling.
I have noticed the same thing going back to 12.06. I thought it might have been the older factory presets so I uploaded the most recent but got the same overdrive on the clean channels. I tried lowering the input AD level but that had little effect. I even compared what I get to Cooper Carter's 10 Clean Presets YT video and there is definitely a difference.

I don't know if this helps but I downgraded back to 11.0 and it seemed to get better but I lost all my FC12 settings so I restored the global-fc.syx file (can't remember the full name) and the volume of the preset I was playing went up and the overdrive came back. My FC is still on 1.09, would that have any effect?

If I back down my guitar volume knob I can get it pretty clean but would like to know what's causing this.

You guys aren't using the using the pitch block by any chance? Or something with the input gain set too high on a particular block?

I had a similar issue the other day using my main preset. I have an expression pedal setup to auto engage the whammy when I need it usually for solo's. For some reason I was getting a slighty overdriven sound on my clean scenes and I usually use the JP2C green channel for my cleans. I'd actually realised that the pitch block was engage because I hadn't set my exp pedal to the off position I've now set the PC Reset to on. Also the input gain on the pitch block was at 100% for some reason.

All now back to normal and working great. It's probably not your issue but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Last edited:
Are you plugging directly into the Axe or do you have something in front of it like a wireless? I recently updated the firmware on my Shure wireless and it set the output gain back to the factory default of +20dB. It took me a second to figure out why all my presets were so dirty.
I Usually use a wireless but also tried with a cable in the front and it’s the same...I have cured it by lowering the input... so it’s no big deal, but it seems it’s only me that this has happend to, so I will investigate further... I’ll check out my guitar etc.

I have noticed the same thing going back to 12.06. I thought it might have been the older factory presets so I uploaded the most recent but got the same overdrive on the clean channels. I tried lowering the input AD level but that had little effect. I even compared what I get to Cooper Carter's 10 Clean Presets YT video and there is definitely a difference.

I don't know if this helps but I downgraded back to 11.0 and it seemed to get better but I lost all my FC12 settings so I restored the global-fc.syx file (can't remember the full name) and the volume of the preset I was playing went up and the overdrive came back. My FC is still on 1.09, would that have any effect?

If I back down my guitar volume knob I can get it pretty clean but would like to know what's causing this.

it sounds like you and I are having the same issues... where can I get an older firmware from, perhaps I should try downgrading the firmware to see if it helps.

Back
Top Bottom