Implemented 1176-Style FET Compressor (Cali76) Model

This is one of the "problems" with the Axe is that there are different types of effects hidden within the blocks. Some effects, like Reverb, have different "types" that are really just settings (e.g., the Small/Medium/Large versions of various types) and then there are the core "types".

This is something that, IMHO, could and should be addressed. The infrastructure is there with the ability to have saved blocks, and some folks have created packages of these. But, I think @FractalAudio should really be supplying a set of pre-set blocks just like the pre-set layouts. You can mine some of the presets to pull out the effects they include, but these should be blocks.

In this case, you'd be able to select an "Anguisher" block preset (or whatever fictitious name was used for Distressor) that would dial in the right settings. The Opto could probably also serve as an LA-2A, ELOP, and others. UAD gives you the various LA-2A revisions, again these could be block presets.

Hmm... Looks like last time this was requested things devolved quickly...

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/lets-talk-about-fx.85203/

+1 on a Cali76 model...the greatest pedal compressor ever made. I can’t get the feel I’m looking for out of the current palette.

+1 on a Cali76 model And LA-3A and another great great compressor for guitar is the ADR Compex. Really does some good things to the transient.

If you can provide a schematic I can model it.

Maybe these schematics might give a point of solution.

The first, 1176sch.gif, is a schematic of an UREI 1176 compressor, assuming Rev. A or Rev. B, either based on FET in the first stage.
The second schematic, 1175NR-02-scm.pdf, is from a newer 1176-type clone without use of FET.

As far as I read in several documentations the CALI 76 is inspired by an UREI 1176 and based on use of FET.
Therefore, by modelling an UREI 1176 (IMHO) the expected result should be somewhat close to (or maybe even "better" than) CALI 76.
Unfortunately I never owned an UREI im my life, so I certainly can't compare. :)

And .... I would really, really, appreciate this compressor model in an upcomig firmware revision.

1176sch.gif

Attachments

• 1176LNR-02-scm.pdf
    37.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
+1. More compressor choices is better.

The FMR Audio RNC 1773 is another nice one, especially in its 'Super Nice' mode.

Back
Top Bottom