11 goes to 11

Geezerjohn

Fractal Fanatic
I loaded 11 and certainly love the way it sounds and responds. That said, when I change from one preset to another using the MFC-101, I get a momentary volume spike, then the preset settles in. Anybody else have this? Perhaps some suggestions from the brainiacs here as to what I can do to resolve it? Thanks in advance for any replies.

The Geeze

So where are the helpful posts and info to solve this for the brother. I couldn't find them doing a forum search.

To be honest, I haven't seen any mention of a volume spike when changing presets, either.

John: do you get the spike when you change presets from the front panel?

I was experiencing the same thing recently. I wonder if it may be related to spillover.

Spillover (reverb/delay) - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Spillover limitations

* Multi Delay and Megatap Delay don’t support spillover.
* Firmware 9 release notes: "Spillover may be affected if switching between X/Y states if drastically different algorithms exist between the two states. For example, if one scene has a Digital Delay and the next scene uses a Tape Delay, spillover will probably not function correctly as these modes use different algorithms."

Undesirable spillover

* User: "I have two patches that both has delay blocks disabled and when I switch between these patches via MFC the delay spillover sometimes kicks in really loud." Cliff: "This can happen if you rapidly switch between presets many times. The unit requires a small amount of time between preset changes to clear unused buffer space. This is done as a background task."

Keeping level changes when switching presets

* If you use Mix and Level to dial in the effects level, the volume level of the reverb and/or delay trails may change when switching presets. This can be prevented by keeping Mix and Level at fixed values, and using Input Gain to set the desired effects level.

Do you have IA switches assigned to external controllers?

Let's take Matman's boost trick. I've noticed that, when switching presets, very short volume drops or spikes can occur, caused by the switch configuration.

That's the reason I'm not using that otherwise great method. The processing of the external controller states costs a bit of processing time.

Spillover can be another cause, depending on the Delay/Reverb config., the position of the Delay/Reverb block, and amp gain.

To be honest, I haven't seen any mention of a volume spike when changing presets, either.

John: do you get the spike when you change presets from the front panel?

I have not tried that, so I don't know. I'll check that.

Let's take Matman's boost trick. I've noticed that, when switching presets, very short volume drops or spikes can occur, caused by the switch configuration.

That's the reason I'm not using that otherwise great method. The processing of the external controller states costs a bit of processing time.

Spillover can be another cause, depending on the Delay/Reverb config., the position of the Delay/Reverb block, and amp gain.

Thanks Yek. i do have a filter block at the end of all of my presets, set to bypass. It is assigned to an external controller for the boost. I can back that out of the preset to see if that is the problem. I had the same set up with 10.xx and prior firmware and never had this issue. Guess I'll have to dig deeper to narrow down exactly when this occurs. Greatly appreciate everyone for trying to help me solve this difficulty. Not only is Fractal a great tool, but the people that use it are equally great. Thanks Y'all.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-bugs/73473-volume-changes.html
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...-i-finally-updated-my-fw-but-volume-loss.html

I searched the forums with several different key words pertaining to volume spikes or changes in presets in V11, over the last month, and only found the above links. Neither really came to anything that will help here. Perhaps I can suggest if someone knows there have been previous posts, paste them in here so we can all benefit. I'd be the first to admit there are often many posts that a search doesn't pick up for whatever reason.

I'll be updating later today, as I had too much playing to do this week to chance an upgrade in mid-schedule. I'll test my switching between presets and see if I get this. Sorry this isn't an answer to the OP. I'm hopeful that someone will post a thread that will help!

Back
Top Bottom