10 Weeks In: FM3 / FC12 Review

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
Thought to add to the wealth of reviews being offered in this section...

1 month in from receiving it June 9th. Had previously owned an "entry level," friendly GUI guitar processor up until purchasing an FM3 / EV-1 & FC12.

First point of order was viewing Leon Todd's G66 YT videos for targeted learning. This occurred several days prior to ordering an FM3 and while the FM3 was in transit. Once the FM3 had arrived, it was noted that the system was set as factory layout with Presets, Scenes, & Effects as the primary access switches.

TBH, my first attempts at building a preset with 3 scenes fell flat. What had occurred was my trying to retro-engineer an EJ Clean preset, and add to that with a Marshall-style lead/fuzz tone which EJ uses for his stage rig. Didn't sound the way I needed.

Back to square one: Reviewed LT's G66 video about "Channels & Scenes / FM3 Basics." That was my "light bulb" moment where it was easier to see and understand the how's and why's of building presets, scenes and utilizing various channel blocks within scenes for a variety of settings.

2nd point of order was setting up the EV-1 with the FM3. Again, LT's G66 video about Wah Tricks & Tips made quick work of setting up a decent wah tone. (Also, check out how formants are used with wah! Nice feature that adds to the wah.)

2 weeks later, June 22nd, my after-thought-ordered FC12 arrived. UPS kindly switched my shipping location per my request to my workplace drop-off, where the FC12 was brought home that evening following a brief workshift. Although tired and in need of sleep, I could not. From 10 until 11:30 PM that evening, my FC12 was adjusted to accommodate my desired settings. Within that 90 minutes, the FC12 was set up to layout #7 (PERFORM) with minor tweaks so that other layouts can be accessed with hold switches, including the preset and looper layouts. Also a HOME button to bring me back to layout 7's first preset/scenes menu. Tap tempo, hold tuner. 4 effects bypass switches.

TBH, it has been said that the Fractal learning curve is much steeper than comparable guitar processors. I will echo these sentiments. The caveat one may wish to investigate prior to working with a Fractal unit is due diligence of viewing LT's G66 YT videos, and reading the owner's manual to some extent when necessary. The manual is helpful when you may feel overwhelmed or frustrated while trying to set up your unit. LT's videos are excellent resources for learning how to dial in phenomenal tones with less struggling involved.

Because each person's experience with Fractal will vary according to his ability, it's wise to learn how to use FM3 Edit in addition to the navigational buttons and switches on your unit itself. You'll find that the editing software is much more attuned to assist you "arrive quickly" at your choice of tone than "drive you crazy" trying to find your "destination." That being said, I personally found that the FM3 Edit software was more useful than the navigational buttons. I'd likely only use there navigational buttons for stage gigs where only minor volume, or EQ tweaks are involved. All else will likely be pre-programmed at home first.

All said, the Fractal FM3 / EV-1 / FC12 is a formidable powerhouse of guitar processing wizardry. The sound sampling quality is top notch and far superior to the "entry level" processor. Ease of use is a separate story, and varies according to how receptive one is to learning. And because this unit is designed to be upgraded in the future, it will also be part of my preferred choice of signal processing for years to come.

Ya done good, Fractal, keep up the good work!

Thought to add to the wealth of reviews being offered in this section...

1 month in from receiving it June 9th. Had previously owned an "entry level," friendly GUI guitar processor up until purchasing an FM3 / EV-1 & FC12.

First point of order was viewing Leon Todd's G66 YT videos for targeted learning. This occurred several days prior to ordering an FM3 and while the FM3 was in transit. Once the FM3 had arrived, it was noted that the system was set as factory layout with Presets, Scenes, & Effects as the primary access switches.

TBH, my first attempts at building a preset with 3 scenes fell flat. What had occurred was my trying to retro-engineer an EJ Clean preset, and add to that with a Marshall-style lead/fuzz tone which EJ uses for his stage rig. Didn't sound the way I needed.

Back to square one: Reviewed LT's G66 video about "Channels & Scenes / FM3 Basics." That was my "light bulb" moment where it was easier to see and understand the how's and why's of building presets, scenes and utilizing various channel blocks within scenes for a variety of settings.

2nd point of order was setting up the EV-1 with the FM3. Again, LT's G66 video about Wah Tricks & Tips made quick work of setting up a decent wah tone. (Also, check out how formants are used with wah! Nice feature that adds to the wah.)

2 weeks later, June 22nd, my after-thought-ordered FC12 arrived. UPS kindly switched my shipping location per my request to my workplace drop-off, where the FC12 was brought home that evening following a brief workshift. Although tired and in need of sleep, I could not. From 10 until 11:30 PM that evening, my FC12 was adjusted to accommodate my desired settings. Within that 90 minutes, the FC12 was set up to layout #7 (PERFORM) with minor tweaks so that other layouts can be accessed with hold switches, including the preset and looper layouts. Also a HOME button to bring me back to layout 7's first preset/scenes menu. Tap tempo, hold tuner. 4 effects bypass switches.

TBH, it has been said that the Fractal learning curve is much steeper than comparable guitar processors. I will echo these sentiments. The caveat one may wish to investigate prior to working with a Fractal unit is due diligence of viewing LT's G66 YT videos, and reading the owner's manual to some extent when necessary. The manual is helpful when you may feel overwhelmed or frustrated while trying to set up your unit. LT's videos are excellent resources for learning how to dial in phenomenal tones with less struggling involved.

Because each person's experience with Fractal will vary according to his ability, it's wise to learn how to use FM3 Edit in addition to the navigational buttons and switches on your unit itself. You'll find that the editing software is much more attuned to assist you "arrive quickly" at your choice of tone than "drive you crazy" trying to find your "destination." That being said, I personally found that the FM3 Edit software was more useful than the navigational buttons. I'd likely only use there navigational buttons for stage gigs where only minor volume, or EQ tweaks are involved. All else will likely be pre-programmed at home first.

All said, the Fractal FM3 / EV-1 / FC12 is a formidable powerhouse of guitar processing wizardry. The sound sampling quality is top notch and far superior to the "entry level" processor. Ease of use is a separate story, and varies according to how receptive one is to learning. And because this unit is designed to be upgraded in the future, it will also be part of my preferred choice of signal processing for years to come.

Ya done good, Fractal, keep up the good work!
Ha, you got yourself a present for my birthday! :D.

Glad you're enjoying it!

I recently considered some accessories for my FM3/FC12/EV-1...

Now, and soon-to-be, a 2nd EV-1 that will be used mostly for volume swells or other modifiers, and a Temple Audio pedalboard package which will include a Duo 34 and Duo 17 pedalboard. The reason for both is because a Duo 24 is just a few eighths-of-an-inch shy of being wide enough to house my FC12 and a EV-1, so I'll opt for something slightly wider (the Duo 34 with extra undercarriage support).

This bundled package with allow for minor expansions if necessary. (I do not foresee adding extra effects to my rig, but the potential is still possible).

I've also considered making this my regular rig for open-mic venues. Only change necessary would be porting one FRFR108 instead of 2, and putting my output 1 through the house PA. Output 2 would send to FRFR.

Will be working with my rig today, hopefully. Am trying to get this under my belt so as to make it possible to set aside time for more important things.

The words of a wise man once said, "I can't give you what I don't already have." I don't think there's a way to organize presets into folders. You might be able to pin them with color tags so you can recall them quickly. The following, I can share, to help build presets, scenes, and channels. This was my light bulb moment with Fractal:

REVIEW UPDATE:

After recent forum discussions regards what might produce a cleaner-looking pedalboard, I've recently ordered both a Temple Audio Duo 17 and Duo 34 board kit. Because most all of you have stated that installing a TA IEC Power Module requires some form of modification to either the IEC PM cable, or the board itself, I've opted to not include the IEC Power Module as part of my Duo 17 board.

My personal preference is that the board retain its integrity and clean appearance. Modifying either the cable or board might be a tad messy, if the job was not done well.

In some instances where there is no resultant issues for modification, I'm not opposed to change. My feeling is that change is good if it either makes you a better person or player. If the result causes you hardship, why modify? My choice is to retain the integrity of the board, and its neat and clean appearance.

In recent working with my FM3/FC12/EV-1s, I've removed the rubber feet from the sides and bottoms of all units. Since I've not opted for the IEC Power Module, there may be less instance for introducing hum into the circuit (because rubber feet provided grounding). Some 1" x ⅛" neoprene foam weatherstripping will be added to provide a cushioned insulated surface that will supplement the attachment plates that secure the units to the board.

This will provide moderate insulation which the rubber feet originally had provided. I'm sure this doesn't seem crazy to you, although all this demonstrates my willingness to share with you that that the Fractal is a "keeper, not a flipper..."

Last edited:
Sweetwater items arrived this morning. Only complaint today is my sleep pattern is screwed up...received 6-½ hours last night...made for a somewhat unpleasant morning. No worries. Will be sure to get enough sleep this evening.

Neoprene foam weatherstripping scheduled to arrive Thursday by 10 PM. That may put a crimp in my plans for assembling my Duo boards Thursday afternoon. Will need to be on the watch and guard against allowing distractions from allowing me to complete my work on schedule.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Assembled XLR modules for both Duo boards. Attached ¼" > XLR cables, but have not secured these with zip ties yet. Discovered that one cannot remove the side panels of the boards without removing the carry handles. If your installed modules prevent you from re-installing the carry-handle screws, simply keep the handles intact and use a #1 Phillips screwdriver to remove the side plates or installed modules, and install the modules with the handles still intact. Try to do all this in one sitting, without needing a drink to calm your nerves. Pretend you're a camel (dromedary or bactrian)...LOL...

In my instance, the screws that held the side plates on stripped out and could not be reused once removed. No fear, the XLR Modules contain a small bag with 2 replacement screws for each module.

Still, my feeling was that the screws lengths were too short, so over to the hardware store, and located some 5mm and 6mm metric screws. These are tiny little things that tend to slip off the screwdriver tip and wander inside the side panel tray. To be safe, I purchased 8 or 10 of each, and kept the remainder with the 2 ¼" > XLR cables for future use.

Tomorrow my 2" x ⅛" neoprene foam weatherstripping arrives...am hoping my buddy can join me for the task's completion when we install the FC12 / FM3 / EV-1s with adhesive plates...will try to line the outer underside edges of each unit with the 2" width to provide an insulated cushion in case of any grounding issues. Amazon said the weatherstripping would arrive by 10PM. Really not that convenient, but my buddy and I might simply attach the units with adhesive pads but not secure any thumbscrews until we can install the weatherstripping.

Am not sweating any details, thank God. No rush or deadline for this project, but might like to see results before Friday afternoon.

Last edited:
ADDT'L UPDATE:

Thursday arrived and went quickly. Had purchased a roll of weatherstripping for attaching to the reverse sides of the boards but this proved unsatisfactory. Will ask a question regards placement and attachment of the EV-1 pedals in a separate post. Not worried about whether this will impact the board's build, just need to finish the job.

ADDT'L UPDATE:

Friday noontime: Installed both EV-1 pedals using the original screws from the EV-1s. Rubber feet were removed. Screw holes lined up for 3 of all 6 holes for each pedal. Tightened securely. Rubber feet were not replaced, but will be set aside in storage. Had thought to install some locking bushings (read: washers), but this may be unnecessary unless longer metric screws might be purchased. FC12 and attachment plates will wait until Saturday when my buddy will visit to observe/offer advice while the job will be completed.

...and reading the owner's manual to some extent when necessary. The manual is helpful when you may feel overwhelmed or frustrated while trying to set up your unit.
If everyone read the manual, then about half of these threads would disappear!!!:laughing:

BTW, there is actually a wealth of knowledge in that manual that is applicable beyond the unit itself (amps, drives, preamps, EQ, volume levels, etc.).

If everyone read the manual, then about half of these threads would disappear!!!:laughing:

BTW, there is actually a wealth of knowledge in that manual that is applicable beyond the unit itself (amps, drives, preamps, EQ, volume levels, etc.).
True. Process requires time and effort. Sometimes events play out and reveal new things as the process occurs.

In previous posts, I said that I was planning on replacing the original base screws with something lengthier with washers, because I didn't wish the original shallower screws to tear out of the holes.

The manual works well with many applications and adjustments. Locating the correct replacement parts can be a time-consuming process if one's knowledge is limited, or the original part cannot be matched with a replacement. This was my issue with the FM3/FC12 base screws. More in following posts.

Last edited:
In response to my previous post about what worked regards replacement parts, my early afternoon today consisted of 2 visits to my local hardware store by foot, about 12 to 14 minutes one way. The first visit my purchase was some M3 50 16mms. These proved much too small inside the large screw wells of the FC12. The 2nd trip about 40 minutes later, by foot again, was for a purchase of M5 60 14mm's. These again proved too big.

I began to feel like Goldilocks. I called my buddy north of me and asked if he owned any M3.5 60 16mm machine screws. I could hear the guy's voice light up. He said that the hardware store in his town had a large selection of hardware parts and that if he could ride with me, we could more easily find a comparable set of replacements screws.

We arrived at the store about 20 minutes before it was to close. For 10 minutes we tried in vain to locate what we needed. I asked if the clerk could page a store associate. A minute later, the associate had heard our plight and quickly reviewed what was in stock. About 5 minutes before the store was to close, we still hadn't found the replacement screws.

As a last ditch effort, the associate checked his gun screw supply and we were able to match my sample screw to the correct screws. The store had closed, and we quickly asked if the associate stocked matching washers. The associate was scrambling as the store manager reminded us that we should have arrived earlier if we wished to do business. We apologized and a few seconds later, we paid for our goods, and were back out on the road. Phew.

After bringing my buddy home, I drove home myself and tried installing the gun screws. Oh. No. The gun screws sported a small star hex head that my drill bit collection didn't have. Quick call to my carpenter / woodworker brother. "Bro, you wouldn't happen to own a small star hex drill bit head that fits a ratchet screwdriver, do you?" (Could hear conversation in the background). My brother returned to the phone, "I've got a precision screwdriver bit set that uses various size bits, will that work?" "Sure stop on in, we'll give it a go."

7 PM: My brother arrived with the screwdriver set. We took a look at his various bits. "THIS one looks about right." And sure enough, we were able to remove the original FC12 screws that were attached and replaced them with the smaller head gun screws, and washers that made up the difference for screw head width.

I've got a couple extra gun screws remaining I think I might try to swap for my FM3, and remove the adhesive plates. Next week, I might also try to insure that the EV-1s are securely fastened with replacement screws. I don't think the EV-1 replacement screws will be the same size as the FM3 or FC12 screws, but at least now I know where the best place is to locate machine screw hardware parts. And, my brother quite by accident discovered that a 2mm allen wrench will work instead of his precision screwdriver bit. I smacked my head with the palm of my hand. "Why didn't I think of that?" Lesson learned.

As promised, images of the completed project.

FM3 Front View:
v0kjSLo.jpg

FM3 Right Side XLRMOD Speaker Out View:
v6uuDLF.jpg

FM3 Left Side XLRMOD FASlink Out View:
39wAonE.jpg

FM3 Bottom View
YTJicJv.jpg

FC12 Top View:
o2hvNah.jpg

FC12 Front View:
azo12kN.jpg

FC12 Right Side FASlink XLRMOD Out View: (Recently inverted XLRMOD to bring upright)
5XMwvPH.jpg

FC12 Back View: (Swapped dual TRS straight ¼" cables for angled)
8zjrU6l.jpg

FC12 Bottom View: (Recently added extra base screws for stability and firmer feel.)
kISUEPZ.jpg

Last edited:
In response to my previous post about what worked regards replacement parts, my early afternoon today consisted of 2 visits to my local hardware store by foot, about 12 to 14 minutes one way. The first visit my purchase was some M3 50 16mms. These proved much too small inside the large screw wells of the FC12. The 2nd trip about 40 minutes later, by foot again, was for a purchase of M5 60 14mm's. These again proved too big.

I began to feel like Goldilocks. I called my buddy north of me and asked if he owned any M3.5 60 16mm machine screws. I could hear the guy's voice light up. He said that the hardware store in his town had a large selection of hardware parts and that if he could ride with me, we could more easily find a comparable set of replacements screws.

We arrived at the store about 20 minutes before it was to close. For 10 minutes we tried in vain to locate what we needed. I asked if the clerk could page a store associate. A minute later, the associate had heard our plight and quickly reviewed what was in stock. About 5 minutes before the store was to close, we still hadn't found the replacement screws.

As a last ditch effort, the associate checked his gun screw supply and we were able to match my sample screw to the correct screws. The store had closed, and we quickly asked if the associate stocked matching washers. The associate was scrambling as the store manager reminded us that we should have arrived earlier if we wished to do business. We apologized and a few seconds later, we paid for our goods, and were back out on the road. Phew.

After bringing my buddy home, I drove home myself and tried installing the gun screws. Oh. No. The gun screws sported a small star hex head that my drill bit collection didn't have. Quick call to my carpenter / woodworker brother. "Bro, you wouldn't happen to own a small star hex drill bit head that fits a ratchet screwdriver, do you?" (Could hear conversation in the background). My brother returned to the phone, "I've got a precision screwdriver bit set that uses various size bits, will that work?" "Sure stop on in, we'll give it a go."

7 PM: My brother arrived with the screwdriver set. We took a look at his various bits. "THIS one looks about right." And sure enough, we were able to remove the original FC12 screws that were attached and replaced them with the smaller head gun screws, and washers that made up the difference for screw head width.

I've got a couple extra gun screws remaining I think I might try to swap for my FM3, and remove the adhesive plates. Next week, I might also try to insure that the EV-1s are securely fastened with replacement screws. I don't think the EV-1 replacement screws will be the same size as the FM3 or FC12 screws, but at least now I know where the best place is to locate machine screw hardware parts. And, my brother quite by accident discovered that a 2mm allen wrench will work instead of his precision screwdriver bit. I smacked my head with the palm of my hand. "Why didn't I think of that?" Lesson learned.

As promised, images of the completed project.

FM3 Front View:
v0kjSLo.jpg

FM3 Right Side XLRMOD Speaker Out View:
v6uuDLF.jpg

FM3 Left Side XLRMOD FASlink Out View:
39wAonE.jpg

FM3 Bottom View
YTJicJv.jpg

FC12 Top View:
ah009si.jpg

FC12 Front View:
GHsC3c3.jpg

FC12 Right Side FASlink XLRMOD Out View:
bT4FQIQ.jpg

FC12 Back View: (Will be swapping dual TRS Straight ¼" cables for angled)
hT9BWNH.jpg

FC12 Bottom View
7tgTLWN.jpg
$5 says the manager would not have griped if it was the sale of an expensive tool and not a handful of inexpensive hardware....

Looks good so far! Those EV1 pedals are huge! I have 3 EV2s and a Mission for wah on my rig, and they take up a lot less space....

$5 says the manager would not have griped if it was the sale of an expensive tool and not a handful of inexpensive hardware....

Looks good so far! Those EV1 pedals are huge! I have 3 EV2s and a Mission for wah on my rig, and they take up a lot less space....
So'k, we broke the ice a little with him, so all was well. No drilling was needed, thankfully.
(EDIT: Just reread what I wrote. Breaking the ice was meant to say an icebreaker, not "Fargo ND.")

Have got some M3.5 .60 8mm nylon screws arriving soon, which may replace the adhesive pads for the FM3. Possibly.

Will try to match the EV-1 screws and check with the better-equipped hardware store north of us soon.

May ask my brother to visit again to help with the EV-1s. (Needed his help to flex the board so the screw wells would line up; might need his help again...).

Verified. Brother will visit midweek to assist with my EV-1s. Meanwhile, will try to locate replacement EV-1 screws.

Last edited:
That's what I used as well................. 👍

And rather than buy the fancy power plug for the board, I just tie wrapped it down and leave it.... to prevent problems later down the road.

That's what I used as well................. 👍

And rather than buy the fancy power plug for the board, I just tie wrapped it down and leave it.... to prevent problems later down the road.

Concur. I chose to not use the IEC power module, simply because my board wasn't using a power supply underneath. The IEC power cable was a 3rd party longer 14AWG that connects directly to the FM3. The TRS cables will arrive Tuesday, nylon screws, Wednesday. My brother will assist Thursday to help with the build.

Back
Top Bottom