• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

10 minutes between bands, backline provided.....

Fro

Experienced
I’m curious to get some opinions on this.

I’m playing a gig at a festival in Madison on Saturday. The stage we are on has bands all day long. Each band is playing 30 minutes, with 10 minutes between bands. So each band gets 5 minutes up, and 5 minutes down.

Here is the schedule. We are on the Wind River stage at 4:00.

Saturday, May 24 | World's Largest Brat Fest

This is the info they sent regarding the backline:

“show: - 1 Complete Tama Starclassic drum kit: - Kick Drum - 2 Snare drums - 4 Toms - All hardware heavy duty double braced - Complete set of replacement drum heads - 1 drum thrones - 1 pairs of hi Sabian/Zildjian hat cymbals - 5 Sabian/Zildjian cymbals assorted – 1 SVT Bass rig - Classic with an 810 cabinet (3) Marshall 100watt half stacks (1) Fender Twin *vintage black face (1) Fender Super Reverb *vintage black face All keyboards (message Richard Kitchen) Stage Plot: Keyboard station- stage left (2)- Marshall half stacks- stage left Drum riser- Center Fender combo amps- left & right at the front of drum riser Bass Amp- stage right (next to drums) 1 Marshall half stack- stage right”

Right now my rig is set up FRFR through an Atomic CLR, and direct to FOH. I have run just about every possible set-up that the Axe Fx can handle, so I'm fine with changing things up if I need to. I just need to make sure my patches are set for whatever direction i go. FYI, my patches are all Marshalls. Well, mostly. I figure my options are.

I could see if they let me set up my normal rig. (I would be ready for a “no”)

I could run into the effects return of a Marshall, turn off cab and power amp sims.

I could bring a power amp and just jack into a cabinet, turn off cab sims.

Scrap the Axe Fx and bring my old school pedal board.

The thing that would be most time consuming is to program the Axe Fx to be a pedal board and run into the front of the amp. I would have to create some patches from scratch, but I guess that’s an option too.

I’m quick and comfortable with programing, but I would prefer to have everything programmed before I get there. That 5 minutes will go by fast. I still have my Marshall half stack, so I can test all scenarios at home before the weekend. I don't know which model Marshall they will have, but that doesn't bother me so much.

Thoughts?

svl

Power User
E. Just bring the rack, and go FOH only- bring your own DI (that can pad properly), unplug the mic in front of the cab they provide and plug the XLR into your DI. To the soundman it'll make no dif and you don't have to worry about the mic/line input issue this way. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Pinkycramps

Experienced
^ This. They have monitors right? If you area already set up to go FOH (as you are) you're already set. YOu just will have their monitor instead of your CLR. No big deal.

In fact, you are SO much better off than other bands who play amps at a show like this... You will still have YOUR sound... amp guys will likely not.

I would bring a DI box though... if they for some reason didn't have one for you that could be a bummer.

Adman103

Experienced
E. Just bring the rack, and go FOH only- bring your own DI (that can pad properly), unplug the mic in front of the cab they provide and plug the XLR into your DI. To the soundman it'll make no dif and you don't have to worry about the mic/line input issue this way. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

That's probably what I'd do too.

Fro

Experienced
I thought if this option too. My rack is wired with the DI right in it. The 2 things I thought of is that would be tricky is the channel on the FOH board most likely won't be flat. I suppose that shouldn't be my concern. The other is that I don't know how many monitor mixes I'm walking into, and I'm pretty sure the EQ on the monitor will be super tweaked to not feedback, meaning it's way far from flat. But yes, this is an option.

jlynnb1

Axe-Master
exactly what the others have said...prepare for the monitors to probably make your tone sound less than ideal to horrible, but FOH will be great and 30 minutes of less than ideal tone never killed anyone. (hey, some people play with it their entire careers! lol)

chris

Legend!
I would not ever simply turn off power amp and cab sims - it may not sound good at all. Use the full range setup you are used to. Tell them you need a DI box and put guitar in the monitor. Be ready with an extra 1/4" cable from out 1 for their DI. many sound guys won't go XLR directly to a unit. So the DI box route will get them what they are used to.

Robboman

Fractal Fanatic
The only risk here is that you won't have direct control over your guitar in the monitors, so you have to rely on the soundman to give you enough to hear yourself. When you first get onstage there will likely be little to no guitar mic in the wedge mixes, since the other players won't need it as they can hear the 4x12s just fine. If the soundman is responsive he'll turn you up and it will be fine.. But with multi-band 5 min setup who knows..,

xrist04

Fractal Fanatic
The only risk here is that you won't have direct control over your guitar in the monitors, so you have to rely on the soundman to give you enough to hear yourself. When you first get onstage there will likely be little to no guitar mic in the wedge mixes, since the other players won't need it as they can hear the 4x12s just fine. If the soundman is responsive he'll turn you up and it will be fine.. But with multi-band 5 min setup who knows..,

This.

The DI option is your best bet. Just make sure you get enough "me" in your monitor mix to be able to hear yourself during the set.

romanianreaper

Power User
I did a gig once with like 2 minutes between us and another band. I had my guitar already around my neck and was holding a guitar pedal with cords attached. I set the pedal down, plugged into a Roland 120, and adjusted volume. The curtain started going up and I was thinking "holy crap!!". We somehow pulled it off. :)

RoshRoslin

Experienced
I do throw-n-go gigs like this all the time out here in LA.

Like said earlier, use their mic line thats on the cab with a DI. Communicate to the soundman ahead of time that you'd like the FOH signal to be flat and you'll be sending them a line level signal unless they pad it down with a DI. Then just run guitar through the wedge. Most soundguys I've run into are aware of the AxeFX or running direct.

If you have time standing by the side of the stage have all your cables ready. If you "over-under" wrap them you can just hold one end, toss the other across the stage to attach to your foot controller. Plug in your guitar, tune up and you're ready to go.

You can do a setup like this in under 5 minutes if you hustle.

MesaGuitarGuy

Power User
since the other band members won't have to do much to setup, maybe they can be cool and bring in your CLR and guitar while you bring in the Axe?
The DI box is a good idea to get your sound out to FOH quickly
good luck and have fun!

svl

Power User
An extra option so you will definitely hear yourself- put an IEM in your rack. Run Output 2 to it. Just wear one earbud. Done it, it's beyond awesome. :)

McChiel

Inspired
I haven't gigged with the axe fx yet so I'm interested to know why a DI box is needed. What would be a reason for a sound guy to not accept the xlr output of the axe? (I used to play amps at gigs :) )

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N9005 met Tapatalk

Fro

Experienced
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. More than anything, you've given me the confidence to just go ahead with my normal setup. My rig is really organized. I know I can get it set up in 5 minutes or less. I was juts more concerned than anything that the sound guy would freak out on me due to time constraints, and trying to keep things consistent from band to band. I'll be getting there pretty early, so I'll have time to go through the setup with everyone ahead of time. I've been running 4 years with an Axe Fx, and 2 years solid running direct, and I have yet to run into a problem. I don't know why the time factor and provided backline makes me think this would be any different. Like others have pointed out, most sound guys appreciate the ease of it all.

I have the same question thought that McChiel has. Why the need for a direct box? I keep the volume on Output 1 so low that the sound guys never question it. I know I'll be grabbing an XLR right off of a mic, but doesn't turning the output way down pretty much bring the Axe Fx down to a mic level?

Ironwill

Experienced
I was wonder at that too,why a DI box for output 1 XLR?! For the 1/4 " outputs it would make maybe more sense when, because its unbalanced.. Iam interested

chris

Legend!
I suggest the DI box solely so the sound guy doesn't ask too many questions and say no. Again, many sound guys will not plug an XLR cable directly to any unit. Many think the DI box has magical powers that make it work better :)

I do sound here and know many of the other sound guys so they trust me when I plug XLR direct into the axe. So that's no problem, just make sure they know they will be getting a very hot signal.

Ironwill

Experienced
Tell them its hot line level before he go for a mic pre at the desk, when you use the XLR cable of the cab mic.

Zwiebelchen

Fractal Fanatic
You'll need the DI for two things:
1) it allows you to set the output level to the same level you are used to but still ensures mic-level signal in case the sound guy doesn't notice or care that it could be a line level signal
2) it makes sound guys shut up about it

Second is probably the bigger issue. I've run into a lot of sound guys that insisted on using a DI box even if I told them the signal is already line level and balanced.

The DI is definitly a good idea in your case, as it avoids unneccessary communication when time is running out.

Top Bottom