10.09 - trip-tik: are you kidding me ?

On my actual Triptik, I prefer the Classic mode, but when I tried the 10.10 Classic mode, I must admit that I didn't bond with it as much and kept going back to the 'Modern' as it was as meaty and full as the real amp.

As others have said, for some reason it sounds a bit thinner than the real amp. On the real amp it is quite full and warm without being as 'angry' as the Modern mode.

I experimented with setting up both models on X/Y on my Axe-FX and setting the parameters the same and flipping back and forth. With the same dial settings, there appears to be quite a drop in the volume/output of the Classic amp as compared to the Modern. Not sure whether the F/M effect of that is adding to the perception that the Classic is a bit thinner?

On the real amp, flipping the switch while playing doesn't seem to affect output volume at all, just the tone.

I was messing with it this morning and having no luck as well. To me it sounds small/thin in comparison to the modern and the video. Tried all sorts of parameters in the amp block to add the girth lacking as well as different cabs.

I've not heard the classic mode yet.

On the real amp, you would set the Input level at 2 O'clock and the Gain at 1 to 2 O'clock to get a great classic rock rhythm tone.
It's not overly different in character to the modern setting, less gain and less low end essentially.

In reality I can only really guide on the physical living breathing version, but I'll do my best to help.
Cliff can get my input if he feels it's not quite correct.

^^^

What Alan said - the 'Input Level' knob on the real amp is critical in my view, and I think that translates to the Axe-FX model too. When using Classic mode on the Axe-FX I have to turn up the Input Drive to get the tone I love. (Don't forget to turn presence up a fair way too - around 7 or so).

I still don't play much on the real amp with the Input Level past 12 o'clock, but I am thinking I will have to experiment some more...

I've not heard the classic mode yet.

On the real amp, you would set the Input level at 2 O'clock and the Gain at 1 to 2 O'clock to get a great classic rock rhythm tone.
It's not overly different in character to the modern setting, less gain and less low end essentially.

In reality I can only really guide on the physical living breathing version, but I'll do my best to help.
Cliff can get my input if he feels it's not quite correct.

Thanks for your input Alan. Taking heed to your suggested settings, I do think there may be something a little off with the Axe II sim/model for the "Classic" mode. (in my most humble opinion): The "Classic" and "Modern" mode aren't even in the same ballpark.

for lack of a better term, it just sounds small. i expected it to be a big, open version of the modern. i can't get it there, not yet anyway. i was really pumped for this model too.

one thig we know, if there is a problem with the sim, Cliff will fix it asap and let us know what the deal was.

On the real amp I use the modern and just turn either the pre gain or gain down to get a lower gainmore classic tone. I never use the classic mode. On the ax also remember the master also makes a big difference, too much it gets squishy not enough and it sounds a bit small. If you want bigger turn up input gain and lower the other gain, play with the master as well. You can also add a tad of EQ if you need it.

For the clean turn the input gain DOWN, and the master and depth should be lower, as well as the bass, CA clean is very clean with no breakup. Hope this helps ! thanks to Cliff for the update :>

Thanks guys for all the positive comments!! Much appreciated.

In my opinion there's no better way of trying the amp out in the Axe if you can't get to try the real thing.
Way better than listening to sound clips on the web played by someone else.

Cliff is good friend of mine and lives very close to me. We hang out at my shop once in a while.
He knows more about tube amps than most amp builders. He also owns many of the amps modeled.

He's ordered a Tucana 3 model from me and Im excited to have that one modeled because its my personal fave if everything I build.

Have fun with the Trip guys, and for those who want a little more of a classic twist on it the Trip-r is being modeled at the moment too.

Cheers

Alan Phillips.

Just curious, doesnt this hurt your sales?

So I wondered something and tried it out. I loaded the TripTik in Amp1 X and the 5150 Block Letter in Amp1 Y to see if I could get the TripTik to get close to the same territory as the 5150 for heavy tones, even if I had to abuse the EQ and Advanced tabs to do it.

Funny enough, I found that even with minimal effort, the TripTik not only went note for note with the 5150 in the brutality department, but even when I pulled out the stops and started really tweaking the 5150 hard too, the TripTik could even maintain a heavier and more brutal sounding tone than the 5150 in the end.

For me, the TripTik just beat arguably the most widely used and loved heavyweight champion of heavy metal amps, the Peavey 5150, at its own game. I still cannot believe it.

Heh, I look at it this way. In my world, I can either spend 2 grand+ on an Axe-Fx II, or hundreds of grands on the actual amps/pedals/cabs/cables/tubes/power supplies themselves.

Personally I hope Cliff gets so many amps that he can start his own "complete history of tube amps" museum! More for him means more for us, and without that guy, we'd have to spend the same money on getting only two or three at best of the thousands of tones available to us in the Axe-Fx.

Id like to hear that patch you are describing as better than the Peavy... perchance, what cabs are u using?

Well, keep in mind that this amp was loaned to him. He does have quite the collection going, but he's also getting amps borrowed to him from many different people. What I would fiendishly love is if somebody sent him a Fortin or one of the few DAR FBM's that actually made it out before everything went to hell.

what happend to DAR?

Jake,

This is my philosophy when designing. I aim for a particular tonal signature for the amp and limit the extremes of control and functions so it's a bit more difficult to make it sound bad. However, it's all relative and what my ears gravitate to may not be the same as the next person.

Alan.

Curious how you can not go deaf as a tube amp designer? REally, a serious question.

He's welcome to model anything of mine. I love the guy and his work, he's a good friend.

We are local to each other and also both classic car nuts too that frequent many of the same car shows and cruise nights, so that just seals the deal.

so soon Cliff will be making MODEL cars too..............

Sounds to me like a good business model for both Alan and Cliff. How many of us would have heard about the Trip, and many of Alan's other amp designs, if it were not for this forum? Without the Axe we would have been reduced to experiencing them through YouTube videos. What better way for Cliff to boost the image of the Axe than to have the enthusiastic support of a high-end amp designer?

How ?

Not everyone falls in to the hatred of tube amps and despising guys like me , who actually design the things you guys want to emulate, just because they own an AxeFX. While there might be a childish 'them and us' situation on forums, there truly isn't at a professional level.
Most accomplished players don't fall in a strict category and will use both if they have a need.

What better way to get an amp in front of 1000's of players, amateur and pro alike than to ensure the model is as close as it can be. It sure beats clips on a website.

An AxeFX is a tool, so is a tube amp, they are not a political statements. They don't even compete.

Bottom line, it helps sell amps !! Now that probably pisses some of the closed minded idiots off, but hey, they win out in the next free software update with another new amp, at no cost to them.
Get the designer on board and it naturally stands a much better chance of being closer. I'm compensated by more sales. Win-win.

Last edited:
How ?

Not everyone falls in to the hatred of tube amps and despising guys like me , who actually design the things you guys want to emulate, just because they own an AxeFX. While there might be a childish 'them and us' situation on forums, there truly isn't at a professional level.
Most accomplished players don't fall in a strict category and will use both if they have a need.

What better way to get an amp in front of 1000's of players, amateur and pro alike than to ensure the model is as close as it can be. It sure beats clips on a website.

An AxeFX is a tool, so is a tube amp, they are not a political statements. They don't even compete.

Bottom line, it helps sell amps !! Now that probably pisses some of the closed minded idiots off, but hey, they win out in the next free software update with another new amp, at no cost to them.
Get the designer on board and it naturally stands a much better chance of being closer. I'm compensated by more sales. Win-win.
excellent ! I wouldn't have thought any other way.

How ?

True! still saving up for a TripR

How ?

sounds good win win for us both!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom