1 or 2 Cabs?

Been using a Single (Ultra-Res) cab more recently with the "Ambience" Reverb and the Enhancer block at the end of the signal chain. I play 99.99% through headphones for the time being.

Reactions: Woz
Two similar standard cabs panned left and right because I have the cab after all effects (because of my out1/out2 routing)

1 cab UR, rarely 2 cabs. Guess the block is blending before calculations. If not separating the cab block in 2 separate mono blocks could be a great opportunity to reduce CPU load.

Two UR cabs hard panned. Since the FM3 can handle it I have stopped relying on the Enhancer block like I did with the Axe-FX II Mk.2.

There are so many parameters deep in each of the essential blocks that you can really save CPU for effects blocks.

If I am recording, its always 2 IRs, for gigging is mostly just one. Also check out my filter block IR trick ;)

What do you use regularly, one or two cabs and are they Standard Res or Ultra Res?
I use regular because in a live situation I can't hear a difference. Solo in a recording then I'd maybe use Ultra Res, but again, in a band situation for recording I don't think it'd make much difference.

One or two IRs? Yes.

It depends on what sounds better to me. I have 1x1x12 cabs in some presets, 2x1x12 in others and 2x2x12 in others, all because they sounded how I wanted the amp in that preset to sound. I've been known to use Cab-Lab to blend two together and run the resulting IR just to save CPU on a particularly busy preset.

Like everything on the modeler, use your ears. If it sounds better to you what does it matter what others do?

Last edited:
One or two depends on the preset, but I always use Ultra Res, even if I have to ditch another effect to make room. Sounds better to me, though I doubt anyone else would notice or care.

Usually I've been a two cabs per preset guy, but lately I've been putting YA mixes in one cab slot and leaving the other one empty. It's working pretty well for me currently, but sometimes it's still fun the throw the little piggy on there just for some extra sizzle, pizzazz, what have you. My crusty ears can barely (by which I mean probably never) hear a difference between Ultra Res and Standard, so in order to save CPU I've been using standard the last couple of weeks.

Standard cabs from Legacy, same I’ve used since Axe2, 2 IRs panned so things are stereo.

If it's not a multi-mic mix already, then nearly always two IRs. The second IR adds some oomph and fills the sound more.

Two mics with the same cab, mixed together in Cab-Lab, fully panned because I have the Cab at the end of the chain.

Two mics with the same cab, mixed together in Cab-Lab, fully panned because I have the Cab at the end of the chain.
What's the significance of putting the cab at the end vs after the usual spot (after the amp)? I play at home in headphones never really tried the cab at the very end. Thanks.

What's the significance of putting the cab at the end vs after the usual spot (after the amp)? I play at home in headphones never really tried the cab at the very end. Thanks.

Only because I send a signal with cab to studio monitors / FOH, and a separate output signal to power amp + guitar cab.

I think it makes sense that the two ir's, when hard panned, should not sound too different on stage, when FOH cabs are sometimes very far apart.
You don't want 1/3 of the guests to get all the treble, 1/3 get a wooly sound and 1/3 in the middle get a good mix.

Back
Top Bottom