1 Expression for both Wah and Volume on same patch

Sidivan

Fractal Fanatic
With the new 8.09 firmware, you can basically setup an "auto-disengage" when the expression pedal reaches a certain point (toe down for this example). I'm wondering if there is a way to utilize this and then assign the switch in the toe of the pedal to be a volume/wah switch. The end goal would be a volume pedal that reaches max shortly before the toe is all the way up, then shuts off (sound would stay max volume). I could then use the toe switch make it a wah pedal with the same engage spot.

The purpose of this is so I have a switchless wah that also doubles as a switchless volume.

Its not the same thing but Mission Engineering makes a two-channel expression pedal. It has a toe-switch and when you click it, it switches channels. It is my understanding that you need to use two expression ports so in your case one assigned to wah an the other to volume. Clicking toe-down would switch between the two and there is an indicator light (red and blue ?) that lets you know which channel you are using.

Doubtful.. But if you get an expression pedal with a switch you can use the switch to toggle one block on and another block off letting you do a volume-then-wah type setup on the pedal. Check out Mission Engineering for some nice expression pedals with toe switches.

Sidivan said:
With the new 8.09 firmware, you can basically setup an "auto-disengage" when the expression pedal reaches a certain point (toe down for this example). I'm wondering if there is a way to utilize this and then assign the switch in the toe of the pedal to be a volume/wah switch. The end goal would be a volume pedal that reaches max shortly before the toe is all the way up, then shuts off (sound would stay max volume). I could then use the toe switch make it a wah pedal with the same engage spot.

The purpose of this is so I have a switchless wah that also doubles as a switchless volume.

Whether it would work with just a vol & wah in series depends if a wah bypass modifier (the switch) in the engage state lets an autoengage-enabled modifier (the pedal attached to freq.) have priority to actually disengage the wah when the pedal's in the disengage zone. That seems ideal because the other way would just make autoengage useless when you have a bypass modifier. I'd test it now but I'm away from the Axe for a few days. If it doesn't work like that, you can route the wah & some other block (vol or filter) on one row in parallel with the real vol block in another row. Assign freq modifier w/ autoengage within the wah, then have the switch toggle between the vol or filter blocks being active or bypassed (mute mode) so only one row lets signal through at a time. The wah will be engaging & disengaging while you're doing vol swells etc. but it won't matter because it's muted.

(The vol block wouldn't need any kind of autoengage if the serial method works because it would just reach 100% then bypass and let signal pass at 100% when you switch to wah.)

You can also run the parallel wah & vol blocks into a single mixer block and assign the switch to the level of the 2 rows used. Same result but you can see both rows' levels changing from 0 to full on a single screen.

Back
Top Bottom