AFIII 1 80s riff through 8 hot Marshally amp models

Smittefar

Axe-Master
I am searching for my hot rodded 80s Marshall sound, so I have been playing around with amp models lately.

I dialed these eight amp models in towards my own tone ideal - I didn't dial them to sound identical, but they turned out very similar. While dialing, I came up with this riff that I thought was pretty cool

The amp models are (in not the same order as in the clip)

Plexi 50W 6CA7
Brit 800 #34
Spawn Nitrous 1
Atomica High
Plexi 100 W High
Cameron CCV 2A
5153 50W Blue
Friedman HBE V1

The clip is the same 4-bar DI track riff through the eight different amp models. (the images in the video do not correspond to what is playing at the moment)

The cab block contains my two personal IRs panned L-R that I shot in this setup
IRshootingSmall.jpg

Will you help me buy writing which number you prefer (They are marked Riffs 1-8 in the video). Can @2112 identify the Atomica High :D

Interesting. Most are very similar. A few have noticeably different high end, hard to say what's better.

I will say, my problems picking amps and cabs are pretty different, since I'm not so much doing those root-5th-nothing-else chords. Maybe I should be, but I'm not beholden to anyone else, and apparently that's not what comes out of me these days left to my own devices, so.

I ran the 6CA7 through a number of different IRs this evening. Amp at default settings with my EJ strat, bridge pickup mostly, tone down to maybe 5,5. Screechy. Messed some with amp tone controls, tried a few of the cab combos suggested for that amp in other threads, didn't find anything I liked much.

How are you guys who love it so much setting the amp controls?
Anyone playing an SSS strat?

(Apologies for derailing your thread a bit...)

It’s all about the cab IR in my opinion. They all sounded very similar but for me the cab is the main ingredient to the tone, it is the overall EQ to the sound. That clip confirms it for me. They sound good though 👍🏻

No problem

Getting the high end right is a fine balance of getting treble, presence, gain and master volume right. These controls have lots of interaction. It is similar for the bass and depth.

The amps in this example may sound fairly similar, but their settings are very different.

Here are the amps
  1. Plexi 100 (advanced parameters adjusted)
  2. Cameron
  3. Splawn
  4. Friedman
  6. 50W 6CA7
  7. Atomics
  8. 5153
There's no doubt that the IR is a big part of any sound. But this is also an example that you can make any IR work for you. I chose these IRs long before starting to dial these sounds and never changed them.

It just occured to me that these sounds should also work with my other main guitar. The previous clip was recorded with my Rahbek Super strat, which has a Tom Anderson H2 pickup in the bridge. The guitar is quite heavy.

This clip is recorded with my Dahlberg Vega, which has a swamp ash body, Tele bridge and a Bareknuckle Flat 50s in the bridge position. It's a different kind of riff. This time the pictures correspond to the amp model playing - it is the same order as in the previous video.

I attached pictures of the guitars for anyone interested :)

After listening critically to both these clips and your help, I have decided to go with the Spawn Nitrous 1

Attachments

• RahbekSmistrup-01.jpg
    RahbekSmistrup-01.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 3
  • DahlbergVega.jpg
    DahlbergVega.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom