Fixed 1.05 External controller zipper noise? ADDED RECORDING

ninja9

Inspired
Hi all, when controlling the Wah with an expression pedal connected to Pedal 1 (with External Controller 1 assigned to Pedal 1) I get a stepped sound, or zipper noise or something like that. When I change the modifier source of the Wah from External 1 to Pedal 1, it fixes it.

Strangely, when I access a menu there is no noise, the issue is only on the main "Home" screen.

The workaround is to change every preset to Pedal as a source but that shouldn't be necessary. This renders the external controllers unusable, are they working for others?

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Last edited:
Here is a quick recording of the problem, sweeping the wah. I played 4 time with the issue and 4 times while on a menu screen (no issue).

Acknowledging this post and that I hear what you are talking about. I'll review this with engineering. Would you please attach your preset here just in case?

Thanks Matt, it's all presets for me - factory presets, AB's Live Gold, from Axe Change etc.

I've attached one anyway. It's more audible if you don't drive the amp blocks too hard, but it's always there.

Attachments

• 59 Bassguy.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 4
@ninja9 -- One last question as we check this out -- can you please let me know what brand and model of expression pedal you are using?

Thanks Matt, it's all presets for me - factory presets, AB's Live Gold, from Axe Change etc.

I've attached one anyway. It's more audible if you don't drive the amp blocks too hard, but it's always there.
Can you also upload your "System + Global Blocks + FC" dump from Fractal-Bot, please?

@ninja9 we've tried at length to reproduce this issue in the beta testing team and cannot. Can you please tell us what brand of expression pedal you're using with your FM3? Also, if you could please upload the dump of your System + Global Blocks + FC settings from your FM3 -- we'll need that to debug the issue further here.

Thanks!

Thanks so much for looking into this. My pedal is a Boss FV-500H that I've used with the AX8. I can try the Mission.

Attachments

• 200804-183931-system+gb+fc.syx
    3 KB · Views: 1
Thanks so much for looking into this. My pedal is a Boss FV-500H that I've used with the AX8. I can try the Mission.
That file appears to be corrupt. Can you please try again? The resulting file size should be around 193 KB.

Let's see how it goes with a Mission pedal. Better yet, see if you can try a Fractal Audio EV pedal.

https://shop.fractalaudio.com/ev-pedals/
Same problem with the Mission. I thought it was better but that's because I was in the MIDI/Remote menu page. As soon as I press Home, the noise is back.

I would actually like to buy an EV2 pedal but they are unavailable in Australia. I can't see it fixing the problem though. I've used two FV500s alongside the AX8 and Axe FX II for most of a decade with no problems.

I can add that using an expression pedal via a MIDI CC (MIDI Baby 3) produces the same result when assigned to an External Controller.

Fixed in 1.06.

As of 2.0b I am still experiencing zippering on the wah via midi cc expression and was also experiencing it in 1.06.

Using a Yamaha FC7 through a nektar pacer board via midi into the fm3 assigned to external 1. Similar to what ninja experienced, the zippering goes away when a block is opened to edit on the fm3 however switching to the scenes page or layout view reinitiates the zippering. No difference with usb plugged in or not and it happens to an extent on all of my presets regardless of cpu usage though perhaps a bit more drastically on presets with higher cpu. Either case the zippering disappears when a block is opened to edit. Attaching an example preset anyways. Unfortunately I do not have an expression pedal available to test against that works natively with the fm3, the only way I am able to use my FC7's are through the midi board.

Attachments

• Brownface Fender Vibralux.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom