šŸ†• Axe-Fx III Cygnus Factory Presets "Enhanced" - Preview 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, I've been playing with these for a few hours now and am just loving how well they work with all of my guitars! Each preset has such a nice feel to it and the effects are out of this world good. I'm also discovering new cabs based on these, cabs that I have never used before but now I am loving them.

This is such a great job guys, thanks again!

These non-stop improvements,enhancements, and pushing the boundaries to the next level are why Fractal smokes the competition. I knew I was getting something great 2 years ago with the AFX3. I didnā€™t know it would continue to be the greatest, and develop into something even more mind blowing as time went on. Fractal amazes me with how it sustains the pace and commitment to being world class. Itā€™s a testament to dedication, involvement and honest desire to bringing the best. There really is nothing close to the AFX3 in my mind, and Iā€™ve given them all a fair shake. Leonā€™s Neural QC review just summed it all up best. Everything else is ā€œOKā€. But itā€™s definitely not in this class. None of them are. Thereā€™s Fractal, and then thereā€™s everything else.
THIS!
When I was looking to buy a multi-effects processor, all my band-mate friends kept trying to steer me to the Helix, but even back then, I felt pretty certain there was something special about FAS. I've never compared the Axe Fx to any of the others, so all I can do is count the number of times I've heard people say the same things you said above. I lost count a few months back, and I'm SO glad I made the right choice. I even checked out the other forums, and maybe not as often, but enough people on those boards said similar things, which helped to reinforce my decision.

And then the FW updates started rolling in....

And then the factory presets updates started happening...

I have probably played my guitar more in the past 6 months than I did in the past 6 years!

Loaded up the newest banks (16p02c) today. I've only made it to like preset 30 in Bank 1, but it's obvious Matt has a gift for making great presets. My Studio Standard sounds so good with the presets I've tried. Even my old ears can hear the nuance. So many unique tones that all sound really good. Cleans to crunches to all kinds of chewy goodness. I'm enjoying amps I never really played before. Of course, Kudos must be rendered to the genius of Cliff Chase for his latest and greatest incarnation... Cygnus.

The Axe FX is the best musical purchase I've ever made. I know that so many people have said it, and it might be losing it's meaning, but GODDAMN IT, IT'S THE TRUTH!!! I have been a customer since the Ultra, and I will continue upgrade. Thank you for everything!!!

THIS!
When I was looking to buy a multi-effects processor, all my band-mate friends kept trying to steer me to the Helix, but even back then, I felt pretty certain there was something special about FAS. I've never compared the Axe Fx to any of the others, so all I can do is count the number of times I've heard people say the same things you said above. I lost count a few months back, and I'm SO glad I made the right choice. I even checked out the other forums, and maybe not as often, but enough people on those boards said similar things, which helped to reinforce my decision.

I have probably played my guitar more in the past 6 months than I did in the past 6 years!
Buying an Axe-Fx is like buying a Ferrari, except every few months the dealer swaps out the motor, or transmission, or suspension, or tires, or instrumentation...for free.

THIS!

That's awesoome! Being inspired to play more is what matters most. :)

I play with a good friend, who is also the other guitarist in multiple bands we have been in together.
He has played a JT Variax into an Helix for about 4 or 5 years now and I never wanted an Helix.

Just sayin'. :)

Hi @Admin M@ (Matt)

Firstly - thanks for taking this on with the attention and enthusiasm you have. The factory presets have just become worthy of the Axe FX 3 - So many of them now provide the kind of sound that just makes us float away and play stuff, because they sound authentic, and great. Also, the extra depth you've added with extra scenes jus goes even further. The factory presets were (IMHO) not really that good in the past, but they are now absolutely stellar. These are the sort of factory presets that sell boxes.

Also, I feel that Cygnus has given the Axe FX whatever the hell was missing in the past. Don't misunderstand - it's always been the best in my opinion but there was still a gap between what you felt playing an amp, compared to playing our favourite modeller. That gap is gone. I play a bit of bass, and it never quite 'got there' before Cygnus. I'd get better results from a neve DI straight into the desk. Now... throw almost any amp and an appropriate cab for bass - and there's a bass sound.... Amazing.

We are locked up again so your timing is great :)

Thanks
Pauly

As many of you will be aware, we recently released updated versions of the Axe-Fx III factory preset banks. These have been incredibly well received and we're grateful for the many compliments and comments. In the week since, there have been a few changes, including a few new presets (with a great one by Marco Fanton... "MF Euro") plus some minor fixes here and there.

These banks have now been migrated to the FM3. (@chris and @2112 deserve special thanks for being my shoemaker's elves, working across the time zones on this conversion with me.) During that process, I added many enhancements to Bank A including "bonus" scenes, newly dialed-in effects, and per-preset Performance controls on par with the work previously done across banks B and C. (This enhancement is currently limited to the first 50 presets, with more to come later.) Now, I couldn't conscience having the "little brother" be the sole beneficiary of this effort, so I simultaneously made the same changes the Axe-Fx III presets. And I promised a preview, didn't I? ;)

Here it is! Those of you who want to explore the new goodies can install these banks and consider them an upgrade from those shared on May 27.

IMPORTANT: These banks require a minimum firmware version of 16.02.
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo...0/Axe-Fx-III-Factory-Presets-16p02-ENH-p1.zip

The easiest way to install is to use the "All Banks" file, included in the zip.

oh crap... was just going thru all the presets tonight... I'm not sure if I got these versions? I download from the main cygnus presets link? guess I have to go through again. I like to remove some of the crazy/wacky stuff (no offence) to make space for more of my own presets.

one thing... I feel compelled to say... spent a lot of time with the fuzz presets. I'm sort of embarrased that I have said in the past that I thought this was a weak point for any modeler... as I was playing with these tonight... I was really liking them. I don't think any tweaks were made to fuzz, I don't know if any tweaks were made to the fuzz presets... so I'll just assume I was wrong.

as some have said... there are some really great presets in there. I generally tend to play my own presets and they don't have a lot of fx... forgot how good these are.

You know, these Fractals are an occasionally bumpy but always fun ride. I'm thinking they're like an E ticket, for those who know the old Anaheim attractions.

SOLO 100
scene 4 misses a name.

FAS Lead 1
scene 4" Octave Lead": the FM3 version has a pitch shifter, the III version hasn't.

SO MANY RHOADS
Has less scenes configured than the new FM3 version.

ELEGANT GYPSY

CRAWLING IN THE DARK

ULTRAVERB

DYNAMOFLANGER
Just checking if the flanger sounds as intended. It sounds less out-of-tune and crazy as a DynaFlanger.

RUBBER BISCUIT

LARRY MITCHELL
Sound is panned to the right.

Last edited:
It is possible to add a subtle enhancement to most presets by adding a Preamp in High Quality Mode at the Cab block. e.g.: to the preset "Cork Sniffers" add Vintage Pre, with Drive around 4 and Saturation around 3 (only for genuine corksniffers that appreciate fine aromas). For other presets I normally use FET or Tape

That is what I'm playing right now, and I cannot move to another preset

I'm definitely a corksniffer of sorts (but one with no clue what the cork should actually smell like), with that in mind thanks for the tips on the preamp as I have messed around with them but only sparingly as the more recent updates have meant I needed to tweak that level less so.

I was not asking to update the factory presets with the Preamp engaged. It is a suggestion to a question on how one could improve something

Also just wanted to clear up (without sounding ungrateful I hope, as I always appreciate your advice you give) that I wasn't asking how to improve the new presets - I meant in my poorly worded post that the set of presets released before this sounded great so I didn't think there was a way to make them even better (but glad I was wrong).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom