“For the Love of God” ISO track

Thanks for posting this. Yes sometimes when you ear the naked track a lot of details appear. And by the mixing engineer perspective, a good sound in the mix could be not so good isolated.

My experience has been that a lot of tracks may not sound good in isolation but once placed properly in a mix they sound great. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for posting this. Yes sometimes when you ear the naked track a lot of details appear. And by the mixing engineer perspective, a good sound in the mix could be not so good isolated.

Try telling this to a lot of guitarists. Who continue to dial in their tone on their own, and the complain when they can't hear themselves in a band mix. Leading to volume wars within bands or bitter arguments with the FOH techs.

I always try to tell them of how I once heard Within Temptation do a line check during a show, and by themselves their guitars sounded terrible. As in I'd kill myself if my guitar were to sound like that. But within their live mix they sounded right. Still not good to me, but right.

Part of that is the guitar EQ actually being different on the album. The iso has quite a bit more content above 6k, first half of this clip: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/n8ipkds9eqwk4pd/ftlog-iso-mixed.wav

BTW I did a new transcription of FTLOG (and the 7 other songs) for this book:

Amazon product ASIN 1495057682
I'll check out that audio when I have a chance.

I might have to get that book of transcriptions... It's available on Kindle and it's got a few other songs I really like. I'm not one who learns songs as I've got enough of my own to worry about ;), but every once in a while I do enjoy learning bits of my favorites.

I also heard the difference in high-end content between the studio version and the posted isolated guitar versions. I cut out some of the highs from the 'iso' versions to sound closer to the studio version, when tone matching it for my preset for this one.

Back
Top Bottom