FM3 “Bark at the Moon” Live at the House of Blues

If you can find The Ultimate Ozzy home video from The Ultimate Sin tour from ‘86 watch him play the outro solo on that. It’s different than the ‘84 video Ben used for reference. I like what he does on the ‘86 tour better. Pretty normal for Jake to change things up now and then.
This one? It seems like the same thing to me except on the higher 2nd half a few of the A notes in the g-e-a-e measures are either missed or not very clear from the E note ringing. The second A in each of those measures (on beat 3) is pretty clear.

This one? It seems like the same thing to me except on the higher 2nd half a few of the A notes in the g-e-a-e measures are either missed or not very clear from the E note ringing. The second A in each of those measures (on beat 3) is pretty clear.

Yep. That sounds different than what Ben is doing to me. Listen to what I’m playing at the end of our video. I’m a 1/2 step down FYI.

Yep. Listen to what I’m playing at the end of our video. I’m a 1/2 step down FYI.
I did; where you have C and D as the lowest note in 3rd/4th measure is where it's still A and B (with occasional slight flubs) as far as I can tell on the live '86 one. Sounds good with C & D too, but I don't think Jake was actually trying to play that.

I did; where you have C and D as the lowest note in 3rd/4th measure is where it's still A and B (with occasional slight flubs) as far as I can tell on the live '86 one. Sounds good with C & D too, but I don't think Jake was actually trying to play that.
I put down the main riff in Pro Tools and then played the harmony part over it a few different ways. The way I’m doing it sounds the most pleasing to my ears. Nobody in the audience is going to even care anyway besides us guitar players. 😂

Last edited:
You guys nailed it really nice. Is that just a white and black Charvel?
It's a So Cal I bought new back in 2015. Came with a maple neck. I had an old made in the USA Charvel neck from the 80's lying around with a rosewood fretboard so I stuck it on there to make it look more like Jake's. It's probably my favorite guitar. The neck is amazing.

My wife would notice. 🤣
Good for her! Then she's the type of client that would want me to work for her. (I'm actually the rare exception re my earlier comment, but I digress...)
I've been practicing the end of that solo as 16th note triplets, where Jake repeats the bottom note in each of those 3-note-per-string runs. Is that wrong? (I haven't had a chance to check out Uncle Ben's lesson.)

I've been practicing the end of that solo as 16th note triplets, where Jake repeats the bottom note in each of those 3-note-per-string runs. Is that wrong? (I haven't had a chance to check out Uncle Ben's lesson.)
16th triplets is "wrong" if you're aiming for what ended up happening on the track, quintuplets as shown in post #17. I'd probably avoid doubled or skipped notes and play each group like the first & last 10-note patterns there.

16th triplets is "wrong" if you're aiming for what ended up happening on the track, quintuplets as shown in post #17. I'd probably avoid doubled or skipped notes and play each group like the first & last 10-note patterns there.
ok. Not sure where I got that they were 16th-note triplets, but it was in more than one place. So it's not quite as blazingly fast, but it's not as natural, from a counting/timing perspective. Oh well. One other thing I mess with is in quintuplets, so I'll try it out. Reminds me of high school band, where I first learned 1/2 note triplets. Had to stop tapping my foot at first to play them, haha.

Thank you guys for the kind words. I have an absolute blast playing with these guys and the Fractal gear.

Man, that solo is a beast for me. I gotta be really warmed up to do it live. And when we open with it even more so. Jake’s masterpiece. That’s arguably one of the greatest hard rock/metal guitar solo’s of all time.

I saw a LOT of great guitar players live during that era. Jake was the best. He had it all.
He was mesmerizing! Chops, stage presence, and all the flash and flair you can imagine
without being tacky or corny. Better than EVH live in that timeframe. Not sorry. :)

Too bad that shitshow that is the Osbourne's (Sharon!) left him so cynical
and defeated about the business of making music.

I am just glad Friedman made a Jake E Lee model amp. Jake is incredibly underrated and was my favorite guitar player in 86. At 16 watching this tour live I was absolutely mesmerized. I thought you nailed the solo and in all honestly I know you are a tribute band but putting a little of your own flair every so often would be very Jake. I suspect he varied his solos all the time when the mood felt right.

Back
Top Bottom