FM3 “Bark at the Moon” Live at the House of Blues

Damn, always spot on man. Solo sounded incredible and even more impressive thinking this is a crowd shot with no opportunity to clean things up. Wish you guys played out here near Boston.

Those sick 16th-note triplets at the end of the solo are one of the things I use as practice. Not yet up to speed...wondering if they ever will be.
NOT an easy song, but you make it look easy!

Just awesome Todd....thats a blistering solo man,,,,,, congrats !
Damn, always spot on man. Solo sounded incredible and even more impressive thinking this is a crowd shot with no opportunity to clean things up. Wish you guys played out here near Boston.
Wow, great job!
Brother B, you guys just smash it everytime my man...looks like a really fun show you guys put on..well done as always
Thank you guys for the kind words. I have an absolute blast playing with these guys and the Fractal gear.
Those sick 16th-note triplets at the end of the solo are one of the things I use as practice. Not yet up to speed...wondering if they ever will be.
NOT an easy song, but you make it look easy! that solo
Man, that solo is a beast for me. I gotta be really warmed up to do it live. And when we open with it even more so. Jake’s masterpiece. That’s arguably one of the greatest hard rock/metal guitar solo’s of all time.

Thank you guys for the kind words. I have an absolute blast playing with these guys and the Fractal gear.

Man, that solo is a beast for me. I gotta be really warmed up to do it live. And when we open with it even more so. Jake’s masterpiece. That’s arguably one of the greatest hard rock/metal guitar solo’s of all time.
Yeah, the ending of the main solo is utterly insanely fast. I finally had a breakthrough where I'm not tripping over the E string when I'm on a downstroke, to an upstroke on the B string. But it seems like, in the long run, it'd be easier to start on an upstroke (although, unnatural feeling), since it feels better keeping the pick at a downward angle, so you're not having to lift the pick up and over the string, basically eliminating that tripping thing. (I can't get my thumb at the correct angle to do an upward pick slant.) Assuming strict alternate picking, that would mean starting the 16th note part also on an upstroke, which I'm also practicing.

I'd be really interested in knowing how you go about it.

Yeah, the ending of the main solo is utterly insanely fast. I finally had a breakthrough where I'm not tripping over the E string when I'm on a downstroke, to an upstroke on the B string. But it seems like, in the long run, it'd be easier to start on an upstroke (although, unnatural feeling), since it feels better keeping the pick at a downward angle, so you're not having to lift the pick up and over the string, basically eliminating that tripping thing. (I can't get my thumb at the correct angle to do an upward pick slant.) Assuming strict alternate picking, that would mean starting the 16th note part also on an upstroke, which I'm also practicing.

I'd be really interested in knowing how you go about it.
Best lesson I’ve seen on the whole song.

Thanks for this Todd !
This is the best lesson I've seen.
But at the very end where he shows the harmony part on the outro solo he says he learned it from a live concert from '84 but it doesn't sound right to me. I learned the same part from The Ultimate Sin concert video from '86 and it sounds correct to my ears. You can hear it in my video.

In your video, at the end of the solo you (obviously) have to cut the final note short, so you can get back to the main riff. Have you ever considered capturing the riff with the Looper Block, then engaging the Loop just long enough to let that note fade out, then jumping back in? (Assuming how I'm thinking is actually possible...?)
When I learned of the Looper Block, that's the kind of thing I got excited to try out in a live setting (if I ever pursue the band thing again)..., using for things like, when there's a little riff over top of the main riff, and instead of falling out to catch that riff, you could use the looper. Or like the ending of the BATM solo...
And thanks for the Ben Eller vid. He's really good overall. I'll def check that out!

In your video, at the end of the solo you (obviously) have to cut the final note short, so you can get back to the main riff. Have you ever considered capturing the riff with the Looper Block, then engaging the Loop just long enough to let that note fade out, then jumping back in? (Assuming how I'm thinking is actually possible...?)
When I learned of the Looper Block, that's the kind of thing I got excited to try out in a live setting (if I ever pursue the band thing again)..., using for things like, when there's a little riff over top of the main riff, and instead of falling out to catch that riff, you could use the looper. Or like the ending of the BATM solo...
And thanks for the Ben Eller vid. He's really good overall. I'll def check that out!
I actually do do that and our keyboard player triggers it. But you can’t hear it in the video. 🤷‍♂️
He also triggers the note that kind of starts feeding back that leads into the beginning of the solo.

I actually do do that and our keyboard player triggers it. But you can’t hear it in the video. 🤷‍♂️
He also triggers the note that kind of starts feeding back that leads into the beginning of the solo.
Cool. That's badass. I wanna check you guys out! You ever make it down to Balt/DC/Annapolis? LOT'S of great venues of all sizes. You would've fit right in at the old Hammerjacks, but sadly it's gone now.

Oh, btw, I saw Ozzy with Jake on BATM tour (Wasted & Motley Crue) from the 2nd row at the Capital Centre, and Jake just RULED that stage. He just had such an amazing stage presence! Total rock star persona. He was right in front of me. What.A.Show!! He moved around so much, it was like everything he played was completely effortless. Few years back watched his video where he showed the correct way to play the riffs in BATM..., so down to earth. Came across as really humble. It's a shame what Sharon did to him. Disgraceful person. "We'll just get someone else to re-do all your tracks."

Ben E. has the right notes for the outro harmony.

The actual picking speed at the end of the solo seems to be quintuplets. Cleaning up some minor sync things and a sort of bad-sounding E-flat, it's basically this. (There isn't really a B natural like Ben states, but that might sound better over the first chord.)

8sxudSC.png

Ben E. has the right notes for the outro harmony.

The actual picking speed at the end of the solo seems to be quintuplets. Cleaning up some minor sync things and a sort of bad-sounding E-flat, it's basically this. (There isn't really a B natural like Ben states, but that might sound better over the first chord.)

8sxudSC.png
If you can find The Ultimate Ozzy home video from The Ultimate Sin tour from ‘86 watch him play the outro solo on that. It’s different than the ‘84 video Ben used for reference. I like what he does on the ‘86 tour better. Pretty normal for Jake to change things up now and then.

Oh, btw, I saw Ozzy with Jake on BATM tour (Wasted & Motley Crue) from the 2nd row at the Capital Centre, and Jake just RULED that stage. He just had such an amazing stage presence! Total rock star persona. He was right in front of me. What.A.Show!! He moved around so much, it was like everything he played was completely effortless. Few years back watched his video where he showed the correct way to play the riffs in BATM..., so down to earth. Came across as really humble. It's a shame what Sharon did to him. Disgraceful person. "We'll just get someone else to re-do all your tracks."
Yea, that was rough. It would’ve been nice to hear one more Ozzy album with Jake but we probably wouldn’t of had Badlands and that first Badlands album was phenomenal.

Back
Top Bottom