#%%^$£ USB

Apps like that are good for targeted keep-alive. High-maintenance Microsoft Teams decides my status is unavailable if I spend too long in another app, reading, or on another machine/os, without interacting with it.

This was a very common bug that Apple fixed in a update. I had this issue with external display now coming back on after sleep as well.
I am on 11.5.2 and I do not have this issue.
Suggest you update to 11.5.2 the latest build and it should resolve your issue.

OS is up-to-date.

I ordered a Caldigit Element Hub , since I have other uses for it as well. I’ll report back …

Last edited:
I just set the app up. It looks useful, if for no other reason than it can keep the screen from sleeping while I have one of the editors open.
OS is up-to-date.

I ordered a Caldigit Element Hub , since I have other uses for it as well. I’ll report back …
I have a Dell TB16 Thunderbolt hub but I only use that at home.
When playing live I had this issue until one of the latest updates.
Now I cannot even make it happen.

I wonder did Apple not fix this on the Mac Mini?

Sigh, USB …

Well, I think your irritation is a bit misplaced, it should be Sigh, Apple, USB is totally okay.

I have two M1 computers, a laptop and a Mac Mini, and power management on Mac OS is an unmitigated disaster. It kind of works on the Mini because I never let it sleep, but that's not possible on a laptop, and things break there all the time.

Reactions: yek
Don't just add a USB hub: completely stop using all USB ports on the computer itself.
This also eliminated some problems I was having with bluetooth sometimes pausing.

Interesting. I dont use my imac a ton but will look into some of the recommended hubs. Even with 4 ports, im running 3 minimum.

Don't just add a USB hub: completely stop using all USB ports on the computer itself.
This also eliminated some problems I was having with bluetooth sometimes pausing.
This is kind of confusing.

How can we connect if we don’t use at least one USB port on the computer? “ThunderBolt” is a USB-C port which is still USB, isn’t it?

Are you saying don’t use a USB-A port?

I think that Matt means: connect a hub to one port, then use ports on that hub only.

but if you aren’t experiencing any issues, there’s no reason to do anything.

FWIW, I disable Sleep mode on all my managed laptops (personal & work, all Windows boxes).
Has caused me a lot of problems. Not sure how the Apple products fare.

For Mac users: to keep that Mac wide-awake and sleep-free, Why not try some Amphetamine? Free on the App Store.

View attachment 88326
This is what I use and it works like a dream. I can recommend. (Just make sure you don't kill your harddrive).

I think the reason it does this is the way Apple Handles USB-C. For USB-C they run all the task USB-C can do through one controller. So in a way its made to run in series. It has to be something like that, which makes sense why a hub fixes it. If one task (like charging the computer) doesnt work anymore or has an error on a port, all of the functions of the port dont work anymore.

Back
Top Bottom