Lots of bass when Palm Muting

Andre Antunes

Inspired
Hello guys,

Oh higher gain amps (Recto Org/red Vintage or Friedman BE/HBE) when I palm pute an E chord for example I hear lots of bass/boominess. Maybe it's the way it's supposed to sound and It sounds right when playing alone at home with my headphones. But playing along with the band is a whole different story, too much 'boom'.

I've tried:

Lowering the Bass/depth in the amp block - Yeah, maybe, but when It starts to solve the problem, the sound is already toooo thin
Increasing the Low Cut in cab block to around 100-120hz - same as above

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Use multi band compressor to catch the lows and low mids. Put it last in your chain and set it so that only the low end triggers the compressor and it only starts to compress on palm mutes. That way you can keep you low end intact for higher notes but the low end won't fart on you when you palm mute.

I solved this before by turning down the master volume. Maybe you could try that.
Compensate the less volume by turning up the level. ;-)

cheers,
Cris

Try lowering low resonance peak in amp block's spkr-tab, and rising Low cut and power amp low cut in amp advanced parameters. With those, you can cut the mud and boom without thinning the tone at all.

+1 low cut in amp block.. also distance(not sure) in the cab block i think it's called.. lower that and it reduces low end.

Try a different cab/mic combo. Turn Master down. I can't speak to the BE/HBE because I have yet to get a good sound from them, but the Vintage Rectos are a LOT boomier than their Modern counterparts.

Back
Top Bottom