Goofy Nonsense Question

Jiffzillla

Experienced
I usually don't chase these kinds of things down, but I can't help it this time. Just a damn cool noise. Anybody know what the effect is that Yngwie's using here? Yngwie Malmsteen Guitar Solo and "Bouree" - YouTube You can just watch the last 40 seconds of the video to hear the effect I'm talking about. Also would love to know how to duplicate this in the Axe-Fx II as well. I swear that I used to know how he got this when I was younger, but it seems that I've since forgotten. I'm not even a huge Malmsteen fan. I respect his talent and enjoy some of his music. But that's where it ends for me. Just love that noise!! :)

I think he's just turning up/down the delay time on his delay pedal while the feedback is set @ around 100%.

+1. It's the opposite of how Eddie ended his Eruption solo. Tape delay, I believe.

turn up the feedback and then mess with the delay time...
it's an analogue delay effect
many digital delays don't do this effect.. including digital models of analogue delays..

I've never actually tried this with the Axe delays...

my Waves H-Delay plug-in does it though

I tried to get this effect many times with the Axe Ultra with some success. As have been posted it doesn't quite work the same with the delays (Digital) in the Axe. The delay does not get reproduced like it would in an analog unit not sure why, if Clarky is using a computer plug-in that can get it done then there should be a fix for the Axe.

You could get an Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory man and mod it like this guy has done and throw it in the loop.

man what a monster player.... you really need one of those old analog delays. yngwie puts a strat knob on his so he knows which one to turn, probably makes it sound better too ;)

Sweet! Thanks, guys. I'll try messing with the rate on the tape delay with the feedback at 100%. If I can't get it out of the Axe, I do have the Waves H Delay. So I'll try to get it there.

yonks ago I used to have a cheap ol' JHS MX-99 delay..
was an old [cheap] analogue 'bucket brigade' type...

00000836.jpg

it was noisy.. kinda low-ish quality.. and if you crank the unit's volume control it added some gain...
and I adored it... it just worked so well...
sometimes I think mega- quality / hi-fi fx just don't cut it..
they can be just too nice...
thinking on it... I kinda miss it...

you can do all those screwy time delay effects with one of these easy....

EDIT: do any of you think that something like this could be a cool one for the wish list...????
an ol' school bucket brigade delay that not only sounds like one, but behaves like one too

yonks ago I used to have a cheap ol' JHS MX-99 delay..
was an old [cheap] analogue 'bucket brigade' type...

do any of you think that something like this could be a cool one for the wish list...????
an ol' school bucket brigade delay that not only sounds like one, but behaves like one too
I haven't played with that particular box, but I'll bet the Tape Delay behaves like, and bit reduction could make it sound like it, too.

hmmm....
when I get a mo I'll give it a try....

the Waves H-Delay has a lo-fi switch [which I always set on]
and although it's a plug-in, it behaves exactly like an old buckect bridge unit..
it is absolutely superb..
and if like me you're a bit of a sucker for 70's dub reggae, then you'll love it...

Back
Top Bottom