Yek's Preset Collection (v9.02)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im just getting started with my Axe FX II and these presets really help, thanks. I was wondering if you could give an example of specific songs (if you do covers of course) that you use the presets for? I play in a covers band doing rock and 70s, 80s and 90s classics. Which are your main presets and could you give some examples of songs/bands you use them on? Thanks in advance.

Sure.

I use the 5 basic "amp" presets for most of the stuff. These occupy my first bank on the MFC.

I kick on the IA switches for effects when needed.

The other presets serve specific goals. Examples:

Envelope: bridge part in Skunk Anansie's Hedonism.
TalkBox: Superstition, as played by Jeff Beck. Or It's my life by Bon Jovi.
Ebow Pedal: David Bowies's Heroes (if you haven't got a real Ebow).
Shimmer and PlexDelay: U2 songs.
Slapback: rock'n'roll.
DubDelay: dub-style echo, like in reaggae and The Clash songs.
Octavia: Jimi Hendrix.
HighOctave: intro of I'll be there by The Rembrandts.
HammondB3: organ in REM's Everybody Hurts.
Clavinet: keyboard part in Superstition.
Flute: outro of Centerfold by J. Geils Band.
BiPhase: some Rolling Stones songs.
ComprModulation: Police, or african music.
Detune: Van Halen.
NoQuarter: No Quarter by Led Zeppelin.
TZF: Red Hot Chili Peppers.
StringsPedal: strings in REM's Everybody Hurts.
Strings2Pedal: used for intro of by Love rears its ugly head by Living Coulor
SynFlute: lead theme in Gotye's Somebody
Vinyl: I use this to play the intro to Wonderful World (as played by the Ramones)
LoFi: using this for some songs by The Hives
CindyL: Time after time by Cindy Lauper
Know Your Enemy: intro of RATM's Know Your Enemy (if I'm not using a guitar with a killl switch)
LonelyBoy: Lonely Boy intro by Black Keys (uses pedal)
SmackMyB: used for Smack My Bitch Up by Prodigy
For Nylon: used for Sting's Fragile

Last edited:
Thanks for all the extra info - helped a lot. What are IA switches, are they MFC only? I have Behringer midi pedal can I program that for the effects? Thanks again.

IA = Instant Accces switch. Instead of switching between presets, an IA just switches one effect within a preset on/off.

Not familiar with the Behringer...

Just started playing with your presets today. Thanks SO much for not only sharing your signature sounds with us, which is incredibly generous and selfless, but also for the exquisite documentation!

I have one question, just to make sure I understand, because your stock FX layout is MUCH more sophisticated than mine: The send/return are merely there to extend the 'length' of the serial FX string you've got? Do I have that right?

Thanks.

Just started playing with your presets today. Thanks SO much for not only sharing your signature sounds with us, which is incredibly generous and selfless, but also for the exquisite documentation!

I have one question, just to make sure I understand, because your stock FX layout is MUCH more sophisticated than mine: The send/return are merely there to extend the 'length' of the serial FX string you've got? Do I have that right?

Thanks.

Yes, (not to answer for Yek) it is a great way to do things....as I have learned from his patches.

His JCM/Cameron patch is just GREAT! I added my own cab flavor and my delay sounds and I am loving it!!

Thanks Yek!!!!

The Cab block points to user cabs. Just substitute stock cabs.

The Cab block points to user cabs. Just substitute stock cabs.
@Alex: You should save a copy of your statement above and just post it here every couple of days. That would answer half the posts in this thread. :)

An AC30 only really sounds its unique best when cranked, meaning whoever's playing it gets the power but none of the subtlety.

I totally agree about the realism of backing off on the guitar when using the AC30 amp on the Axe. It seems to me that even though just one Ir was used for the stock AC30 amp sim, it seems to replicate all the variations you get when you adjust a real amps' gain knob. When I use my real one, it's usually flat out, making nice clean tones by keeping the guitar volume turned right down, which is the exact same thing as using the Axe stock amp.

I do find the Axe sounds amazing, especially when you open up the top and see that there's virtually nothing inside the box - compared to an old AC30, which is rammed full of beautifully laid out wiring, with that smell of slightly burnt bakelite...

Reactions: yek
IA = Instant Accces switch. Instead of switching between presets, an IA just switches one effect within a preset on/off.

Not familiar with the Behringer...
Behringer supports IAs, standard it can send IA's (Instant access, parameter changes inside a preset) with PC's (Preset Change) at the same time. I myself have the UnO chip you can choose either 10 PC (like the Behringer standard), stompbox mode (5 PC's, 5 IA's) and 10 IA mode. There is another aftermarket chip that will let you program it still differently. There's lots of info on the web.

Aw shucks. The horses mouthes:
FCB1010 UnO Firmware
EurekaSound!

Many thanks Yek. I'll check out your suggestion.

I've found using the EVMs gives a really bright clean sound. A Tom Petty style band I play with commented that they'd never heard a Les Paul sound so "sweet" (in a good way) - that was using one of your old clean patches, alternating between the Fender Twin and AC30. They also liked the drive and fuzz options in that patch too, which roughen it up appropriately.

Please keep posting your thoughts on speakers. It seems we either spend lots of money on top class three-way type monitors, or find the best compromise. A Matrix with a decent cab and the right speaker is VERY much cheaper if it does the job.

Hi Alexander,
Here a question from a newbie AxeFxUser in The Hague.

How do I get the systemdump (with the linked global blocks) into the Axe FX II?
I can't find the right steps for it and I would like to use your settings to get to know this amazing apperatus.

Thanks for all your efford in sorting and sharing all tips 'n tricks in the Wiki!

groeten uit Den Haag,
Cris
p.s. Ik speel met Montaillou in de band Get it On. ;-)

Hi Cris,

Loading the System data into your Axe-Fx goes like this:

- Unzip the System file (this will create a System.syx file).
- Connect the II to your computer using USB.
- Launch a MIDI utility such as Sysex Librarian (Mac) or MIDI-OX (Windows).
- Make sure that the utility connects to the Axe-Fx (MIDI OUT).
- Load / Add the System.syx file.
- Press Play or Run or whatever it's called. This will send the sysex data to the Axe-Fx. Because the Axe is always ready to receive MIDI data, there's nothing you need to do on the Axe itself.

That's it. Your Axe-Fx will now have "my" user cabs, global settings, global blocks, etc.
Run through the Global and I/O menu parameters to verify that these are correct for your rig.

Indeed.

And an infamous "rabbit hole" at the same time... Part of the reason I switched back to power amp + traditional cab, makes life and choices easier. I still use IRs of course, for the FOH signal, and for my home studio monitors. I go for consistency now (same IRs in every preset, SM57 as a safe choice) instead of never-ending-IR-tweaking. ;)

PS I like your SIG.

Hi there, yes great to put this in again, I used a few of your ULTRA patches at the time. Howbeit, I agree with your concept that consists in remaining consistent & instead of trimming all different amp and IR combinations finally to our own ears & getting the same sound of them ! Personnally I quite often find myself using the same amps & IR's (factory now as they're quite good in the Axe II). For the time being I remain at my Traynor K4 as I never managed to sell it (!) but might change to a dB technologies solution or similar.

Thanks a lot again !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom