First gig with the FM9T

DoctorAK

I had my first gig with my FM9T last night at a dive bar in town. What an amazing unit. I still have so much to figure out with it (was tap dancing too much and need to spend some time with setlists) but my sound was superb. The sound guy didn't want me running through the PA, and kept trying to convince me to use his "Peavey amp" that he had sitting around instead, but I said let's just try and see how it sounds.

Bass and vocals were too loud in the mix, and the guy had some trouble getting me the right volume in the monitors, but beyond that, everyone (myself, audience, band) was extremely impressed with my tone. AND...when I'm confident in my sound, I play better, and it was probably the best guitar I've ever played in front of a crowd. I'm on cloud 9.

I'm just ecstatic about this unit. I'm coming from a Helix I used for a year, before that an analog pedalboard. Can't wait to keep unlocking more potential with this.

Glad things went well. It’s a great unit with lots of versatility. Next time, you might consider using the stand alone amp if it’s a small venue. Run your output into the effects return of the amp and bypass the preamp stage. Use your FM9 as the preamp. Go into the global setup section and leave amp modeling on and turn cab modeling off in the FM9. This will allow you to control your own volume and give you that amp in the room feel. I do this all the time with a small Mesa amp and it works very well. If your amp does not have an effects loop return, use the front input and set all controls flat. It does take control away from FOH sound guy so you may need occasional word from him about how you are coming across in the overall mix. You can also consider micing the amp if he will accept that input into his board. Overall sound is always a challenge. Congrats on your new acquisition and welcome to the fractal family. Enjoy,

Glad things went well. It’s a great unit with lots of versatility. Next time, you might consider using the stand alone amp if it’s a small venue. Run your output into the effects return of the amp and bypass the preamp stage. Use your FM9 as the preamp. Go into the global setup section and leave amp modeling on and turn cab modeling off in the FM9. This will allow you to control your own volume and give you that amp in the room feel. I do this all the time with a small Mesa amp and it works very well. If your amp does not have an effects loop return, use the front input and set all controls flat. It does take control away from FOH sound guy so you may need occasional word from him about how you are coming across in the overall mix. You can also consider micing the amp if he will accept that input into his board. Overall sound is always a challenge. Congrats on your new acquisition and welcome to the fractal family. Enjoy,
Great insights about using an FM9 with a guitar amp. Even though I have been playing "amp less" for a few years, I just can't let go of my mint Mesa Express 5:25. FM9 is proving to be very versatile for me.

Sound men slay me - they resent not having control (ie guitarist adjusting his amp volume onstage after setting it initially) but when they get total control ie the guitarist is going direct/ampless they don't know how to handle it!

Setup/teardown is so simple I almost want to laugh. Or possibly cry. But maybe those tears are just built up from times when a 1/4 in patch cable that worked perfectly at home starts acting up at a gig or when the dreaded mystery pedalboard patch cable decides to quit at the worst possible moment and the guitarist inevitably ends up on all fours desperately tapping on connectors as his amp buzzes and burps. Showbiz it ain't. ;)

Fancy Dan that I am, I have often taken advantage of a wireless setup to walk to a spot where FOH sound should be optimal and marveled at the quality of tone through the PA. No tweaking of mic position, no concerns about onstage 'volume wars.' The room may dictate some tweaking of EQ on the mixer but that's standard stuff.

HOWEVER...in 9/10 cases I'm using a FRFR either as a backline unit or as a floor wedge. Obviously the guitarist must be able to hear himself. While a monitor mix from the board should be easy to provide it can be preferable to give vocals priority in the wedges so having a separate guitar monitor keeps all parties happy.

Back
Top Bottom