Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sound of the video sound like a miced cab. When I mic my cab through the soundcard it sound the same, that’s not the sound of an ir. It is quite impossible to have this tone with an ir. Irs flat everything . I ve already tried the combinaison he used, 57 + 906 . It sound completely different than through load boxes and modelers, it sound « roots » « raw » I don’t know how to call that.. but yeah after this tone everything sound « digital »

View attachment 111921
I don't downtune, so it's difficult for me to fully reproduce the tone in the video, but you can get super close with Tone Matching.

@Thomas Obester this thing makes me mad for a long time when I was doing kemper profiles.

I do a profile of my amp, recorded a track with it, and then record another track with the same mic position, volume , settings with amp … through the soundcard , the sound was totally different . Like the head is processed through the kemper when you do the a/b test on it . I mean when you test the sound of your head through the kemper and compare the profile, it is close. But when you put your head and mic in the soundcard it sound completely different .

Last edited:
By the way, putting a sm57 direct through your soundcard to the daw is the cheapest and Amatorial way to do a amp take. In huge studios, they have a fridge of comp preamp etc between both. But most of the time in YouTube, people do that : Mic, soundcard … bingo! … it makes that raw tone . Don’t say that it sound good, but it sound « real » yep

I get the need for the model, but why to cop the tone from a 2c+, the ++ has way more gain than the 2c+ is what i'm getting at, guess I need to explain myself better. Every 2c+ demo i've seen has way more gain than the 2c+'s in the axe, they cant all be 2c++'s.
Only Cliff knows for sure.

It is quite impossible to have this tone with an ir. Irs flat everything . I ve already tried the combinaison he used, 57 + 906 . It sound completely different than through load boxes and modelers, it sound « roots » « raw » I don’t know how to call that.. but yeah after this tone everything sound « digital »
1000x better since firmware 19 or whatever with the cabinet impedance update. There's apparently infinite refinements in the .001% after accomplishing the 99.99% Fractal has accomplished now.

1000x better since firmware 19 or whatever with the cabinet impedance update. There's apparently infinite refinements in the .001% after accomplishing the 99.99% Fractal has accomplished now.
oh yes, but completely! just that in this specific case there's a lot of distance between them, like van damme's feet. This axe is very good otherwise, I’ve found new tricks to make it sound even better than before today 🙃☺️
BBD057CD-0CB4-453A-82EB-41D3FE65D8EA.jpeg

care to share those tricks ? 😁
It seems that I have better result in some amps using the input boost in amp block better than their stomp box in the od block. But each amp got one different od that fit better .. experimenting . The ods are really dominant now and add that filter that I try to calm down trying other things .

Same, the master volumes : Some need to be turned down, some are good where they are, some are at 7 by default and I don’t know why …(sweet spot for the maker ?) well. The « tweaking machine » 😁. If there was a time counter on this hardware… The time I spend on it 😅, but it’s cool, that’s a game

Last edited:
oh yes, but completely! just that in this specific case there's a lot of distance between them, like van damme's feet. This axe is very good otherwise, I’ve found new tricks to make it sound even better than before today 🙃☺️
Love it haha! I like so many others have fought modelers and plugins long enough to appreciate there's still plenty left to accomplish. IRs are a huge pain and endless money pit for me :p

The sound of the video sound like a miced cab. When I mic my cab through the soundcard it sound the same, that’s not the sound of an ir. It is quite impossible to have this tone with an ir. Irs flat everything .
omg, I feel we go around in circles on some of these topics. Check this by @York Audio. The IR has everything that a mic’d cab has. I guess it also depends on what IR you use and how it’s captured etc.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-release-candidate-beta-7.188382/post-2340233

Love it haha! I like so many others have fought modelers and plugins long enough to appreciate there's still plenty left to accomplish. IRs are a huge pain and endless money pit for me :p

Yes it’s like profiles in the kemper … you always want to try new ones as you are never satisfied. Less is more . Sometimes having 4 cabs and 10 microphones in a unit is a real time saver . I miss the microphones sim we had in the 2. Now I need 4 cabs together everytime to be satisfied. To found 4 irs combinaison it was 🤦. I stick with the one in the axe. I have millions of irs that a friends of mine gives me but they stay in their folders . Once you found a combinaison you like, stick with it and tweak the rest .

If I ve read well, our cab thing will change in the future. So wait and see. Can’t wait to have 4 cones and the possibility to put 4 mics on them and move them .

Last edited:
Did something happen in firmware 21 to the Soldano 100 LEAD model?
I use it in my favourite user preset on the AxeFX. It's been tight, dynamic and crisp, perfect for 2000s metal tones.

Now (after updating to 21), the same preset seems bloated and thick, so I don't find myself using it anymore. Is there anything that I should be looking at in the amp block?

Thanks fam

I use it in my favourite user preset on the AxeFX. It's been tight, dynamic and crisp, perfect for 2000s metal tones.

Now (after updating to 21), the same preset seems bloated and thick, so I don't find myself using it anymore. Is there anything that I should be looking at in the amp block?

Thanks fam
The following parameters are updated:
Preamp Bias
Transformer LF
Transformer HF
Transformer Drive
Low Cut Freq
Hi Cut Freq
Triode 1 Plate Freq
Triode 2 Plate Freq
Negative Feedback
Power Tube Grid Bias
All Cathode Follower Params
Excursion Time
Recovery Time
MV Cap Value

EDIT: for "bloated" and "thick" check and play with, Transformer LF, Low Cut Freq, Negative Feedback, Power Tube Grid Bias

Last edited:

Thanks fam
Same thing happened to me on the JS410 Orange and no matter how much tweaking I‘ve done it just will not go back to the way it was. I’m just staying on 20.04 and hoping for a future update to some of these amp models.

Cool! ♥️

“Who’s That Lady” got cool fizz as well!

That phaser sound! ♥️

I wouldn’t call that fizz since it seems to be a phaser pedal going direct into the board?

What I call fizz seems most prominent in the Axe 3 on the decay of palm mutes with a high gain sound. When I played through my rack with JCM 800’s into dummy loads, I would describe that decay sound as “hair” or “splatter” because of the more smooth, omnidirectional quality of the analog version. The “fizz” I get when palm muting or on hard strum transients through the Axe 3 seems a bit grainier and notchy, compared to my analog rack live sound.

To be fair, the more grainy, notchy sound of the Axe 3 is consistent with the quality of a mic’d studio sound of my analog rig. Maybe I can get closer to the hairy, splatter amp in the room sound when I upgrade to the Axe 3 MK2 turbo…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom