Question about the 24bit 48Khz Fractal AX FX III

Getting converters of the spec you’re talking about for the DSD audio would cost way more than the entire FXIII

Then you’d spend many multiples again on room treatment to make sure you could possibly hear something that isn’t even there.

Because you have no idea of the quality of the source audio - you’re just talking about the quality of the final master not the original stems and ever step along the way.

As others have said - if you need to do 24bit 96k, you’ll need external converters. But really sit with the sort of people who record at that quality, get them to teach you how to listen at that quality and then worry about it.

Back 15-20+ years ago I went down that rabbit hole and then the kick in the teeth - one of my reference tracks which I loved for its sound and dynamic range.

Turned out to have been recorded on 16bit Digidesign converters - which even then we’re criticised in all the pro audio magazines etc.

That, and attending mixing seminars with Charles Dye (Livin’ la Vida Loca etc) made me realise - it’s not a rabbit hole it’s an unnecessary money pit

Just go make music. I'd wager of the thousands of different things that might truly be holding you back in your creative endeavors, the quality of the AD/DA converters in the Axe FX is about as close to dead last in that list as you can possibly get.
That's certainly a good approach to life, though most adc/dac chips are capable of 96khz and there's a lot of good resampling chips otherwise which may help fit in with more diverse recording situations.

The frequency above 48khz... if we can't hear them I guess they can push more the reverb tails.
They must do something in the Hi octave.
The avalon 737:preamp EQ has x10 multiple frequency .
I can hear the reverb more clear in the mix.
Maybe I'm wrong 🤔

Oversampling is a good solution increases the sampling rate of the signal it's processing by a fixed multiple like 2 or 4.

Last edited:
The frequency above 48khz... if we can't hear them I guess they can push more the reverb tails.
They must do something in the Hi octave.
The avalon 737:preamp EQ has x10 multiple frequency .
I can hear the reverb more clear in the mix.
Maybe I'm wrong 🤔

Oversampling is a good solution increases the sampling rate of the signal it's processing by a fixed multiple like 2 or 4.
Obviously bicycles because you can't put pancakes in a doghouse.

If you’re approaching 50 like me I promise you you’re not special and aren’t hearing much over 16k. I tried to test my hearing and fed 14k into my monitors. Heard a faint whisper. 15k, barely audible but something was there. 16k or so nothing. So I figured lets blast it so if I can hear something I will. Heard nothing at all but my tweeters started emanating thick white smoke. I think that set me back about 200 bucks. An expensive lesson to a stupid test. It’s there, you just cant hear it.

If you’re approaching 50 like me I promise you you’re not special and aren’t hearing much over 16k. I tried to test my hearing and fed 14k into my monitors. Heard a faint whisper. 15k, barely audible but something was there. 16k or so nothing. So I figured lets blast it so if I can hear something I will. Heard nothing at all but my tweeters started emanating thick white smoke. I think that set me back about 200 bucks. An expensive lesson to a stupid test. It’s there, you just cant hear it.
A good flavor test might be to set your Axe FX 3 Oversampling Mode to Min. Latency instead of Best Quality. If you don't notice a loss in quality then you gain .5mS!

Ouch, and maybe some additional hearing loss?

Yeah even though you can't hear the sound, it's still hitting all your ear's parts and can still cause additional damage. I'd cringe at the range when I'd see old timers just take their hearing aids out when shooting instead of using proper protection like muffs and/or plugs.

I hope Axe Fx 4 is 32bit 192khz or higher cos why not? At least on the digital i/o side, because I record at 96khz.

Psychoacoustics are real, but so are placebos. Maybe they are mutually inclusive, maybe generic measurement techniques are shit. Regardless there's some very nice recordings in those formats, especially because they take so much effort to produce.

Case in point, guitar amps and modelers.
It's just chasing specs... that will waste CPU power, burn energy / create heat for zero audible benefit.
Those are real downsides IMO. I'd love an AF4 that has all the power of the 3 in a lighter, 2U form factor.
That would help with travel, a real thing.

I don't really care so long as there's at least a resampling chip for spdif to my daw ¯\(ツ)

The hardware is commonly available (that is ignoring supply chain fiascos), I doubt you will find many adc/dac chips that don't have higher sample rates and there's plenty of excellent dedicated upsampling hardware devices.

That said, I have no qualms with anything about axe fx 3's internal frequency or algorithms etc, etc, etc... it's more of a quality of life request as it would free up a couple analog inputs for me. :D

Back
Top Bottom