Wish Herbert Midcut in Amp Block

State of Epicicity

Fractal Fanatic
I know that the guidance has already been given to use a filter block with specific settings to recreate this, but in my experience the placement of an EQ makes a tremendous difference. The Mark Series EQ just wouldn't be the same if you had to add it as a block and not in its realworld spot, pre-power amp. I don't know where the Midcut exists in the circuit of a real Herbert, but if it were possible to include it in the same spot in the model, that would be awesome. If it were possible to include this as an EQ type with the same Instensity and Level knobs, I imagine all sorts of cool uses, like a 5150 with the Herbert Midcut, or a VH4, for that matter. Hell, try the 3 Knob Tube Driver into a Plexi, but with the Herbert Midcut; could be a very cool thing.

Thanks for considering this request, and thank you as always for your continual dedication to authenticity as well as tweakability!

I’d love this, it’s such a distinctive part of the experience of using a herbert and it would be nice to adjust all controls without having to flip back and forth between different pages. I actually find with the real amp, the channel volume and mid cut volumes all have their own sweet spot and it would be quite cool to have a way of approximating their behaviour (same applies to other amps that have a few volume controls in series, like the Jubilee).

I do not own a Herbert nor could I find a schematic, but whenever I've tried the model, I'd use the suggested filter EQ settings (that you noted in the OP) in the Input EQ part of the Amp block. I think the next thing to try would be to use the 400 slider in the Output EQ part of the Amp block. If anybody with a real Herbert could try a comparing those methods within the Axe to the amp, that would be most appreciated. If it is something that cannot be replicated with what we currently have, I think it would be a cool EQ addition that could be applied to potentially any amp in the Axe.

Not sure if possible, but would be nice to see it as an "Output EQ" model, so it's not Herbert exclusive and it doesn't take a block.

If Cliff added it as an EQ type in the amp block it would be something you could activate on any model, which would be totally awesome. 🙂 It would not be a Herbert exclusive, the same way the shred mode of the JP2C is now available as a preamp Boost type to all models.

If Cliff added it as an EQ type in the amp block it would be something you could activate on any model, which would be totally awesome. 🙂 It would not be a Herbert exclusive, the same way the shred mode of the JP2C is now available as a preamp Boost type to all models.
Probably the Mark EQ would be a better example, but pretty much yeah haha that's what I'm thinking.
Now, there's a quote in the wiki that mentions you can get the effect of the Midcut using the filter block. Have you tried that?

2 EQ types I’d LOVE to see in the FAS modeling is

1- the Herbie mid cut

2- MXR 10 band geq we have 5, 7 and 8 bands but the MXR is my go to EQ in an amp’s loop.
The 10 Band is in the GEQ block, but not in the Output EQ section of the Amp block. I don't recall why it was left out of the Amp block EQ options. Both would be nice additions.

The 10 Band is in the GEQ block, but not in the Output EQ section of the Amp block. I don't recall why it was left out of the Amp block EQ options. Both would be nice additions.
Is there a difference between the MXR EQ and the API Console 10 band EQ??

I don't know for certain as I've not found a schematic for the API 560, but they both share a lot of similar specs. Both are mono, octave spaced with +/-12dB ranges and variable Q through that range. Both are OpAmp based and use bipolar +/- 12 to 18 volt power supplies. Given the substantial price difference between them, I'd have to assume the 560 uses higher quality components overall and has balanced I/O, but who knows. The Variable Q version of the 10 band in the GEQ block should be close.

Probably the Mark EQ would be a better example, but pretty much yeah haha that's what I'm thinking.
Now, there's a quote in the wiki that mentions you can get the effect of the Midcut using the filter block. Have you tried that?

Yeah, I have used a filter block with the recommended settings, and it sounds great. I'm just curious what it feels like interacting in the same place in the circuit as where it is in the real amp, to know essentially what it's like to play the real thing, and to have that same interaction with other amps too using the Herbert mid cut.

Yeah, I have used a filter block with the recommended settings, and it sounds great. I'm just curious what it feels like interacting in the same place in the circuit as where it is in the real amp, to know essentially what it's like to play the real thing, and to have that same interaction with other amps too using the Herbert mid cut.
It would be cool to have a Scoop parameter that basically all that does. It’s a fixed freq like 425 Hz or something and then the intensity just controls how deep the cut it is DB

Back
Top Bottom