Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
sound like this here, unboost, boosted, and lead patch (video is private)

It sounds good but it needs some rawness with highs or presence on the bridge, with the neck pickup was very bluesy and you can do it with some blues backing track it would be marvolous. Very beautiful LP :) and sounds wonderful.

this 900 sounds good ! why I ve heard shit about it all my life ? It cover a lot of marshall sound and is more tight than a jvm . hmm
I remember seeing it at 500/600 in second hand
can be cool to have it in the unit also
Another marshall ? hahahahaha
My fav from the 900 series is the SLX:

Can still get em around $900.00, too.

Can't tell which is which. Please go ahead and tell us which is the real amp and which is the model so I can say I knew that along and that they sound nothing alike. : D
Haha! I should have mentioned it in the post because it’s not about being right or wrong… It’s just wild hearing how similar a $4k amp and a digital model can sound without messing with any advanced parameters.

Sounds great This one I would say is Axe/ amp /Axe/amp
The first and 3rd sections seem just a little cleaner to me there is a freq in 2 and 4 that sounds just a little looser I am probably wrong and both sound close and good
You’re right, it’s Axe/amp/Axe/amp. Since this tone relies heavily on power amp distortion, small adjustments can make a pretty audible difference in the overdrive breakup. I got them pretty close, but may have needed to back off the volume (gain) and reduce treble a hair on the model. It’s a lot of fun to play though!

I'll guess the amp is first because it sounds brighter. A load box is a static impedance whereas the Axe-Fx models the load as dynamic. The reactance at high frequencies decreases w/ speaker excursion so an amp into a real speaker will usually be less bright than into a load box.
I’d say this firmware is pretty solid when the tonal differences can come down to subtle frequency shifts that may occur from outside gear or minor amp control tweaks rather than hearing something synthetic in the texture of the power amp distortion. It breaks up and compresses like the real thing. The Axe was first. I’m sure lowering the gain would have made them closer, but I didn’t want to lose that sweet sizzle you get from digging into the strings and driving the amp harder. I haven’t played a modeler yet that was able to do that until now, so well done!

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/21p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_21p00.zip

NOTE: You MUST perform a Refresh After Firmware Update if using Axe-Edit and you were using one of the 21.00 betas prior to this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

New “Cygnus X-2” amp modeling:

• Improved Amp block output transformer algorithm. New algorithm more accurately models B-H curve resulting in a clearer low end. New algorithm now also accounts for effect of speaker impedance on transformer response.
  • Improved power tube modeling. This yields better dynamics, improved low frequency accuracy and more accurate interaction with output transformer.
  • Improved cathode follower algorithm. Provides more accurate “cleanup” when volume is rolled off.
  • Improved triode algorithm more accurately models plate bypass capacitors.
  • Improved dynamic frequency response accuracy. This yields more “crunch” and less “fizz” with high gain tones, especially for detuned styles.
  • Various other improvements.
  • All amp models have been updated as a result of the aforementioned improvements.
The default values of various parameters have been updated. Existing presets are automatically updated to the new values upon load.

Improved Drive block modeling to more accurately model effects of op-amp finite open-loop gain and GBW product.

Added “Griddle Cake” Drive model based on a Crowther Hot Cake. The “XLF” switch on the pedal can be replicated by turning the Bass Response knob fully CW.

Added “Overdrive Volume” parameter to Dumble-type amp models (ODS-100, Two Stone, etc.). This is sometimes labeled “Ratio” or “Lead Master”. As the Master Volume on these amps often has a bright capacitor the Overdrive Volume control allows setting the Master Volume higher to counteract the bright cap and then lowering the power amp drive with the Volume.

Added “Plate Suppressor Diodes” parameter. This value is set automatically when the amp model is chosen but the user can override the default setting. Most amps do not have suppressor diodes but some do (e.g., Trainwreck Express). These diodes (also called “snubber” or “flyback” diodes) prevent undershoot on the power tube plates due to inductive kick and reduce upper harmonics thereby reducing “fizz”.

The Ideal amp controls have been updated.

Added Brit Studio 20 Amp model based on a Marshall SV20H.

Added Plexi 50W 6CA7 Jumped Amp model. This is simply the jumped version of the Plexi 50W 6CA7.

Added features to the IR Capture Utility. The manual will be updated with the relevant information.

Renamed USA Clean to USA Rhythm 1 to be more in line with actual amp.

Reduced CPU usage in some cases.

Changed tone stack tapers for Class-A 30W TB to vintage specs.

Fixed wrong capacitor value in USA JP IIC+ models when Presence Shift is off.

Fixed wrong coupling capacitor value in 1959SLP Treble, 1959SLP Jumped and 1987x Treble amp models.

Fixed wrong resistor value in tone stack of Solo 88 Rhythm and Lead models. Probably not audible though.

Fixed low frequency behavior of Recto2 models due to loss of precision.

Fixed wrong treble pot taper in CA3+ models.

Fixed wrong capacitor value in Friedman HBE V1 Fat model.

Fixed wrong resistor value in AC-20 12AX7 models.

Fixed wrong Depth knob taper in Archean models.

Fixed wrong capacitor value and wrong feedback network connection in Energyball model.

Fixed missing resistor in Euro Uber tone stack.

Fixed High Mid control in Drive block set to minimum when importing presets created prior to 19.01.

Various other fixes and improvements.
Happy holidays for sure... thank you!

My fav from the 900 series is the SLX:

Can still get em around $900.00, too.

The SL-X is a great amp and the only 900 model without diode clipping. I tried matching mine a while ago and got pretty close using the Brit 800 Mod model and tweaking Input Trim (SL-X Preamp Volume) and Gain (SL-X Gain Sensitivity).

I’d love to see an older JCM 2000 DSL100 (not the newer DSL 100HR) in the Axe someday. They’re cheap and easy to get now, but I have a feeling that amp is going to skyrocket in value and popularity down the road. It’s just a great sounding amp… especially the Lead 1 and Crunch modes with the Deep switch on. I’m gonna fire that one up now.

Definitely some improvements "under the hood" with Cygnus 2.

Just for the hell of it, I fired up my Axe III with the new firmware and compared it with my FM9 on 3.0 with a factory patch after changing all the amp settings on the FM9 to the same as the III. Used the Fox ODS preset because as I looked through the amp models, this one looked like it had several settings vastly different than the old amp model (a lot of them did not have much change at all). Even after the settings matched, the Cygnus 2 was clearly superior.

Obviously I won't be doing any more experiments since just when I was firing up the forum to make this post I see 4.0 Beeeta for the FM9 is there for the downloading. So long 3.0!!! 👋 👋 👋

Awesome! 👍 I've got a couple of weeks until my next gig...that should give me enough time to upgrade and still be able to run through all my presets and make any necessary tweaks. Thanks FAS!

The SL-X is a great amp and the only 900 model without diode clipping. I tried matching mine a while ago and got pretty close using the Brit 800 Mod model and tweaking Input Trim (SL-X Preamp Volume) and Gain (SL-X Gain Sensitivity).

I’d love to see an older JCM 2000 DSL100 (not the newer DSL 100HR) in the Axe someday. They’re cheap and easy to get now, but I have a feeling that amp is going to skyrocket in value and popularity down the road. It’s just a great sounding amp… especially the Lead 1 and Crunch modes with the Deep switch on. I’m gonna fire that one up now.
I second that motion on the JCM2000 DSL! So many great tones in those! And last I looked they are starting to go up in price

I was recently listening to Black Country Communion and apparently Bonamassa used the clean channel of a JCM 2000 with a tube screamer. I thought the tone was great. I don’t think we’d get the clean channel though, a bunch of multi channel amps in the AF3 are missing them.

Yep it is true that when you watched this, the 5153 sound like Chinese shit

That’s strange, I don’t like particularly the 5150 block in the unit. It is a metal standard and in the axe don’t know … it don’t sound that much « metal » . Anyway, boogie rules . 😁
I owned a 3120 head personally it was cool . But I end up selling it . Peavey sounds too dirty to me

Also in this video, the knobs seems to work a little bit 😅

The real 5153 seems to have tons of gain? Hm

Yes.
The real 5153 is tight as hell. I played a lot the 50w version. I love also the 5153 stealth which has more gain.

The most requested Marshall amp in our Backline inventory......... The best selling Marshall we had in the store............ JVM's just sat there and everyone wanted the DSL's
I believe that. One of my DSLs went down on the road and I had to buy a JVM for the show that night… hated it. I kept the amp for a while because it was the flagship Marshall at the time and wanted to see if I could make it work. It has too much gain and tons of fizz that made it hard to get a meaty “organic” tone out of it.

My brother was auditioning a bunch of boutique amps for this Paramore tour, but ended up going with the JCM 2000 DSL100. He said it just sounded better than the other amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom